You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Terry Gilliam stunned by lack of interest in Depp/Williams film

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Terry Gilliam stunned by lack of interest in Depp/Williams film

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb
Movie maverick Terry Gilliam is amazed that a planned movie starring Johnny Depp and Robin Williams is still on the shelf - because American investors can't raise $15 million. The former Monty Python member was thrilled when international money men offered him $45 million to make the film Good Omens with Depp as a demon and Williams as an angel. But he was shocked to discover that Americans didn't have the same sort of faith in the project, and they failed to raise the extra cash he needed to start work on the project - an adaptation of fantasy writers Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's book. Gilliam tells US magazine Entertainment Weekly, "I couldn't get 15 with Johnny and Robin... These two guys, who would have been brilliant were not worth $15 million in America. That was the moment where I went, 'I don't understand this game. I don't understand this town (Hollywood). I don't understand any of the rules. All I know is I don't like it.'" Gilliam's last project with Depp, the ill-fated Quixote, became one of the biggest movie-making disasters in history when illness and storm-wrecked sets prompted financiers of the film to pull the plug as costs soared. The film, which was never completed, was turned into hit disaster documentary Lost in La Mancha. Gilliam hopes to complete his Don Quixote epic with Depp next year.
Oh man, Depp as a demon, in a Terry Gilliam movie. Now that would've been an awesome movie.

Also woah, Terry still believes in his Don Quixote project! If that project can ever be finished, it would be unbelievable. That project has been cursed by higher beings a long time ago.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
merely human

Higher beings my ass. We Americans (myself not included) are too culturally ignorant and shallow minded to understand and appreciate certain stuff.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Psychonaut

Good Omens is a fantastic book.

--"It wasn't a dark and stormy night. It should have been, but there's the weather for you. For every mad scientist who's had a convenient thunderstorm just on the night his Great Work is complete and lying on the slab, there have been dozens who've sat around aimlessly under the peaceful stars while Igor clocks up the overtime."
Old 08-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #4

Yep, a great book. And Johnny Depp is a great actor.

Damn.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Epinionated.

Unfortunately, I've heard Gilliam's got a difficult rep as he's apparently no so keen at sticking to producers figures. So it's not much of a suprise if he's burnt a few ego's over at Hollywood that people might not want to work with him or offer him money for new projects.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
Dungeon Master

Johnny Depp + Robin Williams + Terry Gilliam + Terry Pratchett + Neil Gaiman?

Dang, it would be a dream come true for me... If only I had $ 15 million to spare. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid studio executives!

Those of you who did read Good Omens, though: is it just me or would the leads fit actually better the other way round, ie. Depp as Aziraphale and Williams as Crowley?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Don Quijote de la La Mancha and Good Omens are some of my favorite books, it's nice to see that I share some taste in books with Terry Gilliam
Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Those of you who did read Good Omens, though: is it just me or would the leads fit actually better the other way round, ie. Depp as Aziraphale and Williams as Crowley?
Yes, yes and yes. Too bad it's not likely to be made anymore, this way or other
Old 08-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
Elegantly copy+pasted

Much as I like the idea of a Good Omens flick in theory, I'm not sure it would work well in practice. Just consider HHGTTG, which at least I consider a failure (for the most part) as a film.

Gilliam is an inspired director, but he makes it very difficult for investors to make money on his movies. He's unreliable, has poor discipline (watch "Lost in La Mancha" to witness how chaotic his productions are), and his movies bomb more often than not (most recently The Brothers Grimm). I'm not surprised he has difficulty raising funds.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
OB

My Lord The Brothers Grimm was a letdown. Nice looking movie, with some subtle funny parts, but overall a huge misfire. I hope Tideland returns him to form. I think it was mainly a lame script written by someone else and studio interference that did it in. That's why it was delayed for so long(and the Disney/Miramax debacle, too). You know it's going to be bad when the director himself basically comes out and says "yeah, I kind of like it".

Yeah, Gilliam is a real hardass(it helped Brazil didn't it?), and I hope he never loses it. I hear he lost the Grimm battle, though. I also enjoy his audio commentaries more than just about anyone else. He's one of those people you can listen to forever, plus he's just so damn goofy.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 08-30-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #11
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
My Lord The Brothers Grimm was a letdown. Nice looking movie, with some subtle funny parts, but overall a huge misfire.
Well said.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:13 AM   #12
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Hmm, 15 mil isn't that much in Hollywood, is it? I'm not going to call anyone "culturally illiterate" until I can prove it - I'm thinking this might have something to do with the general lack of interest in movies from the consumers. The same thing that's making Dreamworks fold. Maybe? I can't imagine it was just overlooked because of the content, anyway. *ponder*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 AM   #13
Epinionated.

No, Dreamworks are folding because they overestimated DVD demand and then tried to cover it up. Turds like Shark Tale didn't help either as they're not recouping on DVD beyond the cinema takings.

Consumers are taking a wider interest in DVD's which are biting a large chunk out of the theatres anyway. The reason Gilliam's movie is being overlooked is because he's unfortunately pissed off the wrong people during his career (through movies like Baron Munchausen) and not many trust him enough because of it. Whether it's true or not, I've no idea, but the word is he tends to let movies run away artistically - no bad thing, but money's got to come from somewhere to pay for it. Plus the Brothers Grimm isn't impressing anyone.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:14 AM   #14
The Impostor

I was initially disappointed when his Don Quixote fell through, but, after witnessing a scene in Lost In La Mancha where Johnny Depp attempted to catch a fish, I thought it may not have been such a loss. The script sounded awful.