You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Something a bit more simple...

Since so many people FEAR--I mean TRULY FEAR--cockroaches, it may be interesting to ask what it is YOU (the designers) fear the most.

What game could possibly be made that would churn your stomach and make you sick? Or has there, in fact, alreadybeen such a game?

Do you enjoy teasing others with such a grimy concept? And--in return--do you enjoy teasing yourself by playing games that, in a sense, "gross you out?"

I ask this only because I was at first greatly turned off to this game because of its content. Unfortunately, I did a naughty thing and judged a book by its cover, but--in the end--I enjoyed the romp.

Any illuminating comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk Latimer
Old 12-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
Game Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to serpentbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Since so many people FEAR--I mean TRULY FEAR--cockroaches, it may be interesting to ask what it is YOU (the designers) fear the most.

What game could possibly be made that would churn your stomach and make you sick? Or has there, in fact, alreadybeen such a game?

Do you enjoy teasing others with such a grimy concept? And--in return--do you enjoy teasing yourself by playing games that, in a sense, "gross you out?"

I ask this only because I was at first greatly turned off to this game because of its content. Unfortunately, I did a naughty thing and judged a book by its cover, but--in the end--I enjoyed the romp.

Any illuminating comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk Latimer
You want to know what churns my stomach Kirk? Wanton violence.

Killing.

Murder.

Hate.

Racism.

Genocide.

Yeah, there's a game, there's hundreds of them. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of these truly hearbreaking examples of fear. The culture of fear is fueled by such dreck
and frankly I am outraged by it and shocked that we continue to shrug it off as some sort of boy's past-time, some harmless hobby...

The game industry, most of it, should be ashamed. And you know what? I'm not laughing here. I'm not smiling. Im weeping. Because violence is the scourge of mankind. An Eye for an Eye is our bane. And as long as we continue to indulge and glorify this with our toys and movies, we are doomed.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Bad Mojo Producer

It's interesting that people sometimes are turned off by the gritty nature of reality. But when it comes to this de-sensitized violence, they all laugh and want more.

I took Anatomy in college; people are always "grossed" out by real blood. They hardly ever take the time to realize the incredible mechanism at work or just the beauty of those intricacies.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
Mostly absent

Great answer!
Although I enjoy some of the hundreds of games you are referring to, I definitely see your point. And I mostly agree with you on this.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentbox
Yeah, there's a game, there's hundreds of them. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of these truly hearbreaking examples of fear. The culture of fear is fueled by such dreck
and frankly I am outraged by it and shocked that we continue to shrug it off as some sort of boy's past-time, some harmless hobby...

The game industry, most of it, should be ashamed. And you know what? I'm not laughing here. I'm not smiling. Im weeping. Because violence is the scourge of mankind. An Eye for an Eye is our bane. And as long as we continue to indulge and glorify this with our toys and movies, we are doomed.
It does my heart good to find that there are others who feel that games like GTA are morally repugnant. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:36 AM   #6
Evil Webmaster

Not only it is morally repugnant, it is also a stupid game filled with horrible and dislikable characters. I really hope they are gonna stop that GTA series.
So there you go