You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Psycho Game Maker

Default AGS games on a Mac ?

Yes you can now
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index...;boardseen#new
Mikes Room
Old 06-27-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Wow... that sounds great!

Looks like they're still getting the kinks ironed out, though. I look forward to trying it out once that happens.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Lunatic at AGS forums
This was one of the biggest things AGS was missing was a Mac version. It truly is now the greatest, most powerful, most feature-full and easiest Adventure game engine in the world. All these other engines should just stop development. I mean, other than 3d and plugin support throughout all OS's, what is AGS missing?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

It's true though.

Not that other engines should necessarily stop development, but if you disagree that AGS is the most feature-rich, well-maintained, frequently-updated engine there is, you really don't know what you're talking about.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
It's true though.

Not that other engines should necessarily stop development, but if you disagree that AGS is the most feature-rich, well-maintained, frequently-updated engine there is, you really don't know what you're talking about.
Don't forget easiest and greatest.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

AGS Mac
Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Hello everyone,

I'm new to AG forums and this is the best possible news to start with: AGS coming to the Mac just made my day!

As a long-time Mac user, starting with a Mac Classic and a 9" monochrome screen back in 1991, the lack of fan-adventures has always been kind of a let down to me.

Therefore it's brilliant for us Macheads to get access to such a huge number of very good titles at last!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Not that other engines should necessarily stop development,
That's very generous from you.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:05 AM   #9
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
OK, let's go through the claims, one by one. EDIT: Not only be AGA, but some other people as well.

Claim One, AGS is the most feature rich engine. I'd like you to list a few significant features AGS has that other engines don't. Except for lip-synch (which isn't that significant either). And if you say that that makes AGS the most feature-rich engine, let me just point out that AGS is missing 3D support.

AGS does have a very long feature list, but that's because in AGS many things that are achieved with functions that are coded into the engine itself. In most other engines those features are coded with the engine's own programing language. AGS's flexibility lies in its complexicity, the flexibility of other engines lies in their simplicity.

Claim Two, AGS is the most well-maintained engine. Well, new AGS releases tend to have lots of bugfixes. A sign of good maintenance or a sign that the core of the engine and the core of the editor are both unstable and need constant workarounds and patchings with bubblegum?

In my experience AGS games are also the most unstable games out there. AGS is the only engine where I have encountered any kinds of glitches including temporary lock-ups and the skipping of music.

Claim Three, AGS is the most frequently updated engine. Well, that is true.

Claim Four, AGS is the easiest engine. Programming is generally considered as a difficult feat, so AGS must be easy. That's true.

Claims Five and Six, AGS is the greatest and most powerful engine. Such hyperbole can be dismissed with a shrug.

It is also interesting how AGS is always treated as an isolated case. I believe many people will post to my rant with "But Chris Jones is such a hard-working fellow" and "he's always asking people about updates and features and support and things like that!" Which just goes to show that those people haven't been following the boards of other engines.

But of course you are allowed to like the engine you use. Sometimes people just go way over the top with their admiration saying things like "other engines are worthless". With my first post in the thread I wasn't trying to say that AGS is a bad engine or that it doesn't do many things well. I was just, again, shocked by the way some people treat AGS as their religion and Chris Jones as their god.

Last edited by Wormsie; 06-28-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 AM   #10

Chris Jones... The Holy One... Must Worship...

Seriously, did it perhaps ever occure to you that we like saying things like that just because some of you guys get so defensive?

Besides, it's not just us AGS Users who support the engine we use to the bitter end. I remember a few months back when someone from the AGS Forums re-wrote the AGS Wikipedia entry. One of the last lines sais something like "AGS is one of the most popular amateur adventure engines out today". Then someone anonymous changed it to something very derogatory about the engine.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:36 AM   #11
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

...I didn't actually say half the things in your list, deadworm.

As for a list of features, you'll have to wait until I can be bothered to write one.

And yes, a lot of the AGS is King!!!!! stuff is because the rest of you are so damned touchy. Especially you, deadworm.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum, Copycat.

The lack of adventures for the Mac, period, is a problem for me. It's literally the only reason I bought a PC instead of a Mac when I needed a home computer a few years ago.

I'm hoping that this will mean commercial games made with the AGS engine (like Himalaya's upcoming game Al Emmo) will be playable on the Mac, too. I know there aren't a ton of commercial games out there that were made with AGS but any are better than none!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
Under pressure.

Most engines kick AGS ass performance wise, which is an important thing to consider next to the amount of features. 320x200 is still a nice resolution, but there are people who rather work with 640x480, 800x600 or even higher!

--Erwin
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Welcome to the forum, Copycat.

The lack of adventures for the Mac, period, is a problem for me. It's literally the only reason I bought a PC instead of a Mac when I needed a home computer a few years ago.

I'm hoping that this will mean commercial games made with the AGS engine (like Himalaya's upcoming game Al Emmo) will be playable on the Mac, too. I know there aren't a ton of commercial games out there that were made with AGS but any are better than none!
Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

Even though I love adventures, I could never use Windows.
I just love the overall beauty of all things Mac: The design of the computers itself, how Mac OS X looks and feels. Every detail seems to be well thought out and I really appreciate it.

Therefore I play "commercial" games like Syberia or Still Life on my Xbox. Dear, it's also from Microsoft and damm ugly, but it seems to be the best compromise I could come up with.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
And yes, a lot of the AGS is King!!!!! stuff is because the rest of you are so damned touchy. Especially you, deadworm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
Seriously, did it perhaps ever occure to you that we like saying things like that just because some of you guys get so defensive?
Likewise, all of my "AGS is a piece of shit" stuff is because many AGS users don't know anything about other engines and I just want to provoke you and maybe challenge the strict views. And I don't see how anyone posting in the AGS forums could possibly be trying to annoy me, I don't even post at the AGS forums and I read them only very seldom.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #16
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
...I didn't actually say half the things in your list, deadworm.
I took a few from that poster in AGS forums, just in case. Your post was there only as a reference point, to give people a general idea of what I was talking about.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #17
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Well there are a lot of ignorant fools in the AGS community, just as there are in any other. Don't take the opinions of a few idiots as indicative of all the thousands of AGS members'...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 AM   #18
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Don't take the opinions of a few idiots as indicative of all the thousands of AGS members'...
I haven't.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:17 AM   #19

AGS r0x uR s0x! Just kidding, I love these pointless debates.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 AM   #20

The beta test of the AGSRunTime engine for the Mac is continuing. The current release is the version with the "e" in it. Despite the fact that version "d" was working very well with a lot of high profile games, version "e" seems to be two steps back in the process.

With beta "d" I can verify the following games are working:

Apprentice I and II
Great Stroke Off!
Maniac Mansion Mania
Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire – TECH demo
Norman Cooks
No-Action Jackson

Saving and loading games worked perfectly using beta "d", but with beta "e" games would crash constantly while loading a saved file.

Due to problems with windows installers, AGS Mac, at the moment, can't handle games using an installer. If you want to play games using an installer, e. g. Maniac Mansion Deluxe, you'll need to install it on a PC first and then copy the executable files to your Mac.

However, there's still loads of problems concerning installers. I've tried three or four games that wouldn't work if copied from a PC.

I will keep my little Mac compatibility chart up to date and any contributions to the list will be appreciated.