You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures New preview art from Rise of the Hidden Sun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 AM   #21
Elegantly copy+pasted

The game's still looking very nice, Josh. I'm not entirely convinced that "we're going with the standard Sierra interface, just like 90% of all AGS games" warrants its own article, though.

Oh, and GUI stands for "graphical user interface," not "general user interface."
Old 06-29-2005, 06:32 AM   #22
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I'm not entirely convinced that "we're going with the standard Sierra interface, just like 90% of all AGS games" warrants its own article, though.
The point I was going for is that there are two standard GUI choices that come with AGS, and that there the tradeoffs are for each. I also wanted to illustrate how you can stick with the standard Sierra GUI and still make it unique to your particular game. I think it makes sense as an article because these are the choices that 90% of the people using AGS are going to have to face; the other 10% that create their own GUI are on their own.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #23
fov
Rattenmonster

So you are using AGS? I thought the highest resolution it supported is 640x480.

(If this is covered in another article, feel free to pan me. )
Old 06-29-2005, 06:45 AM   #24
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
So you are using AGS? I thought the highest resolution it supported is 640x480.
Definitely not. http://www.bigbluecup.com/acfeat.htm
Old 06-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #25
Psycho Game Maker

Screen resolutions of 320x200, 320x240, 640x400, 640x480, and 800x600 are supported. Your game can be run full-screen or in a window.
I'm going with 640x480 on my game .
Mikes Room
Old 06-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #26
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios
I've been playing around with black-and-white cursor icons of the same sort, too, because they stand out a little more against the colored screens
ugh. Please no.

The coloured icons you've illustrated are so gorgeous. In my opinion, they add to the whole "adventure-game" feel. They're really well drawn too. Don't make them black and white! While I completely understand the reasoning behind this (screens seem to pop more against the monochromatic interface), I think they add rather than distract because they're so in line with the look and feel of the game.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #27
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle
Screen resolutions of 320x200, 320x240, 640x400, 640x480, and 800x600 are supported. Your game can be run full-screen or in a window.
I'm going with 640x480 on my game .
Anyone know if the 800x600 support is new? (Guess not, if that's what Rise of the Hidden Sun is going to be...)

Weird. I can think of at least two developers using AGS who have said they're using 640x480 because of AGS limitations. (But I'm not going to name names because I could be mistaken. )
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #28
Psycho Game Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Anyone know if the 800x600 support is new? (Guess not, if that's what Rise of the Hidden Sun is going to be...)

Weird. I can think of at least two developers using AGS who have said they're using 640x480 because of AGS limitations. (But I'm not going to name names because I could be mistaken. )
You need a good computer when you get to the 800x600 is what I have heard .
So I think staying at the 640x480 is a good thing .
And the file gets way up there with 800x600 .
Mikes Room
Old 06-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #29
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios
The point I was going for is that there are two standard GUI choices that come with AGS, and that there the tradeoffs are for each. I also wanted to illustrate how you can stick with the standard Sierra GUI and still make it unique to your particular game. I think it makes sense as an article because these are the choices that 90% of the people using AGS are going to have to face; the other 10% that create their own GUI are on their own.
OK, that's fair enough. Are you sure that the LucasArts-style option comes included with AGS, though? I'm pretty sure it's a separate template (developed by someone else on top of AGS), which requires quite a bit more work to use. There are also other standard interface templates you can use with probably no more work than a LucasArts one.

But since there's really nothing much wrong with the Sierra interface, I guess it's not necessary to go to that bit of extra trouble. (The only major weakness with the Sierra interface, I think, is the lack of any hotspot indication. If you can work that in, so maybe the cursor changes when you move it over something you can interact with, that would be great.)
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #30
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle
You need a good computer when you get to the 800x600 is what I have heard.
Nothing too extraordinary though. But it is true that AGS isn't optimized for speed, as the users want more features rather than speed optimization.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #31
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Nothing too extraordinary though. But it is true that AGS isn't optimized for speed, as the users want more features rather than speed optimization.
The game may be sluggish on some old computers, but even at 800x600 it should run okay on newish ones. FOV, the developers that limited themselves to 640x480 probably did so for file-size reasons rather than strictly technical limitations. Plus, 800x600 really exposes your graphics if they're not uber-smooth -- most games probably have very little reason to go for resolution that high.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #32
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Are you sure that the LucasArts-style option comes included with AGS, though?
Well, I was sure... or at least I thought I was. Perhaps I was thinking of that add-on template instead. Either way, I think the point's still valid about the difference between Sierra and LucasArts from a developers POV, all things being equal. I've loved games that used each GUI template, so I'm ambivolent as a player, but biased as a developer.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #33
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Within the last couple of years. Relatively recent.