You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures New preview art from Rise of the Hidden Sun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Dread Pirate

Default New preview art from Rise of the Hidden Sun

An Adventure Gamers forums' exclusive! This just in: some new preview art from Rise of the Hidden Sun. For a while now, a lot of things about this scene from the first episode have been bothering me:

So, as we wind up production on the first episode and draw ever nearer to the release date, we finally got around to re-doing that scene and tying it together with the rest of the surrounding area in a more cohesive way, like this:

If you look really, really closely, you might even find a Quest for Glory 2 easter egg in there.

In other news, the new (and much delayed) thirteenth installent of Adventure Architect is written and will be published sometime this month, I think.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Nice!
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Citizen of Bizarro World

Yay!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 06-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Looks good!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Holy crap.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #6

This is definately one of my most anticipated freeware adventures. I see from their web page that they have recruited quite a number of talented artists to colaborate on the production of the game. Im curious to see how closely the art styles will match from chapter to chapter!

Good luck guys!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarphil
I see from their web page that they have recruited quite a number of talented artists to colaborate on the production of the game. Im curious to see how closely the art styles will match from chapter to chapter!
Good point. I'm happy to report that the game will have a consistent look from chapter to chapter. Many of the team members are working on all four chapters, and one of the key requirements of joining the team is the ability to match our established style. I hope we don't disappoint!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

well aren't you going to share the Quest for Glory 2 hidden easter egg in the artwork??
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #9
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
well aren't you going to share the Quest for Glory 2 hidden easter egg in the artwork??
I think it's the woman who was turned into a tree out in the desert by Shapier (or is it Shapeir?). She's a Juniper tree or something, right? In the drawing, it's beneath the bridge's arch and just right of center. The small, dark, twiggy, tree-like object.

Eh... I could be wrong, though.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
gaybrush threepwoody

Julanar! You're right! Very cool!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 AM   #11
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Julanar! You're right! Very cool!
Yep, nice work!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
gaybrush threepwoody

read the new article! This game looks SO good! I love the interface guys. Very classic AND classy.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #13
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
I love the interface guys. Very classic AND classy.
Indeed! When games started doing the "smart cursor" I felt really cheated by being denied the extra ways to explore the game environments (I always enjoyed finding little jokes here and there like in the Space Quest games). I also felt that I wasn't being given enough credit as a gamer to figure stuff out. It really took a lot of the fun out of the games when developers started doing that. You've no idea how glad I am to see these icons making a comeback, even if it is just for one game for now.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

I agree. The icons are very classy. (Can be seen here, for those who never read the front page. )

What do they look like as the cursor? Are they similar to the icons in the bar, or are you using the default AGS cursors?

In any case, it's looking great, Josh. Can't wait to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
You've no idea how glad I am to see these icons making a comeback, even if it is just for one game for now.
Himalaya's using something like them in Al Emmo too (also an AGS game), except the interface isn't as close to Sierra's. And I'm happy for the comeback as well. I blame smart cursors for turning my brain to mush...

Last edited by fov; 06-28-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #15
gaybrush threepwoody

I'm curious what resolution "Rise of the Hidden Sun" will be played at?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 AM   #16
Doctor Watson

I dislike the Sierra interface - if it would have been up to me, the interface would have been a combination of the two with the menu always visible. I think that a menu suddenly appearing from the top of the screen is rather disturbing, but then again, I haven't played that many Sierra titles so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
I dislike the Sierra interface - if it would have been up to me, the interface would have been a combination of the two with the menu always visible. I think that a menu suddenly appearing from the top of the screen is rather disturbing, but then again, I haven't played that many Sierra titles so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.
I don't like Sierra's interface that much either, and I usually right click to circle through the icons rather than click on the menu. Which makes me think that Sam and Max interface is really bad.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 AM   #18
A Servicable Villain

I just read the Inventory interview and it looks great, Josh. It's really all coming together, for which I applaud you. I'm usually more for the coin-based interface as well, because it holds all the intricacies of a verb-based system while at the same time being much more elegant and inobtrusive, but I fully understand your reasonings. Having to write dialogue for the nigh endless possibilities there is an enormous job.

I really like the way you designed the invenory, by the way. A menu need not be an unwelcome element if it adds to the feel of the game.

Also, remember my offer to do some voices for you when the time comes for the CD-based talkie version. I'm happy to help.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:59 AM   #19

Quote:
I'm curious what resolution "Rise of the Hidden Sun" will be played at?
800 x 600 IIRC
Old 06-29-2005, 03:43 AM   #20
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
What do they look like as the cursor? Are they similar to the icons in the bar, or are you using the default AGS cursors?
They're very similar to the icons at the bar at the top of the screen, only a little smaller and obviously without the distressed leather border. I've been playing around with black-and-white cursor icons of the same sort, too, because they stand out a little more against the colored screens -- but I haven't made up my mind yet. Oh, and the game will be at 800x600, to answer that question.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone!

Josh