You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default Zak McKracken movie

Does anyone have experience making indie movies? I need advice.

I'm corresponding with a guy who wants to make a movie based on Zak McKracken. For copyright and practical reasons, I think this would only work as a super-low-budget production. But Zak was always character driven, not SFX driven, so I think this could succeed. But I have almost zero experience of independent film production. Does anyone here have any experience? I'm not asking for volunteers (though that would be nice!) just for advice.

I am encouraged by that British guy who shot a movie for 400 quid and was selected for this year's Cannes competition.

For the record, I think a successful Zak movie would be like a cross between Scorsese's Taxi Driver (strange loner with a vague purpose) and Blair Witch (super-low budget mystery excursion). For copyright purposes we could even avoid mentioning his name at all. I don't think a straight game-to-movie would work, but I do think the core story and characters are very strong if given a slightly darker edge.

What do you think?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

There are a couple of guys in the AGS community who make their own amateur movies. Maybe try asking there...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
There are a couple of guys in the AGS community who make their own amateur movies. Maybe try asking there...
Thanks. I'll do that.