You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #1
Umbilicus Mundi

Default Game design forums/sites

Know any good forums (or websites) talking about game design in general (not adventure game specific)?

I'm reading the game design specific forum at GameDev.net, but it has become polluted. It was ok during the summer, but since everyone's summer breaks are over I can hardly find stimulating discussion there.

GameDeveloper.net forums seem to be the opposite -- not much activity there.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

AHOY!

Note the following:

www.gamasutra.com
www.gamedev.net
www.dperry.com
www.gdse.com

that should be enough to keep you going.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 11-09-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Umbilicus Mundi

Thanx. I hadn't even noticed gamasutra had forums. But now I scrolled down to the bottom and found it
Old 11-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #4
Under pressure.

www.garagegames.com

Not my favourite, because they are already mentioned

--Erwin
Old 11-09-2003, 02:29 PM   #5

The International Game Developers Association
http://www.igda.org

from discussions on bugs in DirectX to discussions on religious interpretations of games to symbolism of death in games.You'll find it here.Most of them are industry veterans.Apparently they also have some game design issues as well .

Last edited by mycroft; 11-09-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #6
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I think you have to be an IGDA member in order to post there. At least, I remember trying to sign up a long time ago and it didn't work. It seems I was automatically given an account when I became a member.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I think you have to be an IGDA member in order to post there. At least, I remember trying to sign up a long time ago and it didn't work. It seems I was automatically given an account when I became a member.
Yes,you have to be a member to post in the forums.But aside from the IGDA membership and the student membership,there is also a free user account which entitles you complete access to the forums and a newsletter among other resources for free.

There are some enlightening articles there as well.Coupled with one of the most thought provoking discussions I've ever read on the net.There was one enormously lenghty debate about 'Games as Art' and another 'Should games make you cry ?' very interesting indeed.