You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures need software for making of 2d3d adventure!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #1

Default need software for making of 2d3d adventure!!!

I need some kind of software for making a game in the style of syberia/longest journey.
I am making 2d backgrounds, and 3d characters. The quality needs especially to be up to date when it comes to lighting and shadow fx.
My characters are made of about 1200 polygons.

Any idea on what to use?
If I need to learn programming, what is the best and easiest for that kind of game?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #2

I dont have any experience with the program, but I hear that for 2D/3D Wintermule is the engine to go with. I understand that there is quite a bit of programming that goes along with that though. Like I said, Ive never used it personally, but it's worth looking into.

On another note, would you be interested in modeling some 3D characters for the upcoming Nick Bounty game?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #3

The offer is tempting I must say, but unfortunately my skills in Cinema 4d is not good enough at the moment. Not even for my own game. But I will let you know as soon as I have figured out how to make the skeletons in the characters and skin them properly!

Anyway, I downloaded a free package of Wintermute, and I im impressed!! Seems easy to use and contains a lot of info on requirements for making a 2d/3d game!! Just read first line in my last post, and read this quote from the help-file in Wintermute:
"3D characters support in WME
WME now provides an experimental support for real-time 3D characters rendered over a 2D background. This approach has been used by several commercial games, such as The Longest Journey or Syberia."

PS. Tried your game! Facinating
Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
Psycho Game Maker

Just remember with WME .
Q: Is it possible to use WME to make a commercial game?
A: Yes, it is possible, but you will have to obtain a separate commercial license. The licencing fees will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Please enquire with the developer about what would be fair in your particular case.
Mikes Room
Old 01-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #5

Default Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip about the licence and stuff Candle!
I will not make this first game of mine, a commercial game, just a test on how good the quality and puzzles I can make.
(Noo, not any sliding tiles, or maze puzzles! )