You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
The Impostor

Default Mac Woes 2: Fandango Fantasy.

Yes, I think this has been mentioned before, but I need to know: Has anyone got Grim Fandango working on a Mac? I can't stand waiting for Residual to finish! It's taking forever. I will buy the new Virtual PC if it plays Grim on my 1.25 GHz G4 eMac running OS X.3.3 etc. Has anyone done this successfully? Does it work? I need to know!
Old 12-19-2004, 10:46 PM   #2

It would almost certainly be cheaper to pick up an old PC. For Grim all you would need is 300+ Mhz, 64MB ram, and a basic 3D card. You can easily get twice the specs with Windows 98 for about $50. Thats half what Virtual PC costs and would almost certainly run better.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:58 PM   #3
The Impostor

If you're talking American dollars then isn't it the same? And where would you get an old computer: ebay or something? I still haven't warmed to internet shopping, I guess I'll just have to go to those crummy swap meets or something. I thought VPC was only US$50. Is it 100? I haven't checked. Are you sure it would run better? I thought it'd run as good as a PC THAT old. It goes against my ethics to buy one. This game BETTER be good.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:59 AM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Grim played on my 450 mhz G3 at crappy speed using Virtual PC 4 or whatever was the last version for OS 9... but it was still more than playable (if you can tolerate low FPS). I wrote about it a long long time ago here, at my old "LucasMacs" site ( ). Surely at this point it would be playable in a less clunky fashion. That said, I haven't tried it on my dual 2ghz g5, since I own a PC that's a few years old for playing things like Grim

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-24-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
Underkover agent

Send a message via ICQ to Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outasync
It would almost certainly be cheaper to pick up an old PC. For Grim all you would need is 300+ Mhz, 64MB ram, and a basic 3D card. You can easily get twice the specs with Windows 98 for about $50. Thats half what Virtual PC costs and would almost certainly run better.
Correction. For Grim all you need is a P133, 32MB RAM, NO 3D card and a migrational disfunction OS.
Well, at least, thats what i have, and i was pretty pleased.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
The Impostor

I'm gonna be round my vegatables,
I'm gonna chow down my vegatables,
I love you most of all,
My favourate vega-tables.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #7
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar
Correction. For Grim all you need is a P133, 32MB RAM, NO 3D card and a migrational disfunction OS.
Well, at least, thats what i have, and i was pretty pleased.
I played Grim with a Pentium 166MHz and it was pure hell. I don't recommend it.