You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 02:11 AM   #1
Headbanger

Default My first 3D movie

In addition to the game I'm currently developing I'm going to show you the first 3D movie I made. I went way over my head with this one (of course). It was suppose to be about a bug and it could only be 20 seconds long (you failed if it was even half a second longer). I thought this concept sounded incredibly boring so I wrote a fully grown script (I studied movies before computer graphics) about wolves instead. Not one wolf either, but FIVE.

Of course time ran out on me and the animation had to suffer. Besides the crappy animation, three of the "background wolves" lost their textures before I rendered it and I didn't see that until afterwards (and I didn't have time to render the whole bloody thing again). So they turned out black. But besides these "minor" problems I am pretty satisfied so please go and check it out.

http://student.nackademin.com/vr02219/wolfmovie.avi
Old 10-18-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
Under pressure.

Hehe, I think it's great. I laughed my ass off when I saw the animals walk, maybe it's not meant to be comical but it was! I loved how the eyes of the wolves came out and the music fits this animation very much.

--Erwin
Old 10-18-2003, 02:27 AM   #3
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Hehe, I think it's great. I laughed my ass off when I saw the animals walk, maybe it's not meant to be comical but it was! I loved how the eyes of the wolves came out and the music fits this animation very much.

--Erwin
Their walking style was a bit.......robotic. Frankly it looked like they were running to the bathroom. But that's not bad considering there's five of them and the animation was made in two days.

About the music, when I make a movie based on a script that I wrote, the music I like the most will naturally fit the best. 8-)
Old 10-18-2003, 02:49 AM   #4
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Their walking style was a bit.......robotic. Frankly it looked like they were running to the bathroom. But that's not bad considering there's five of them and the animation was made in two days.
So what 3D modeling software did you make? And did you use bones for the walking wolves?

--Erwin
Old 10-18-2003, 02:56 AM   #5
Headbanger

Quote:
So what 3D modeling software did you make? And did you use bones for the walking wolves?

--Erwin
I used Maya and yes I used bones (of course). Just wait until you see my game.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:08 AM   #6
Under pressure.

Quote:
I used Maya and yes I used bones (of course). Just wait until you see my game.
Do you happen to know of any good tutorials about using animation with bones? I'm not using Maya (but Lightwave) though I think there's generally not much difference.

--Erwin
Old 10-18-2003, 03:20 AM   #7
Headbanger

Quote:
Do you happen to know of any good tutorials about using animation with bones? I'm not using Maya (but Lightwave) though I think there's generally not much difference.

--Erwin
Well they have many really good tutorials over at 3D Total ( www.3dtotal.com ).

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...drigging_1.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...ones%20tut.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...Rigging101.asp

I've only used Maya and 3D Studio Max so I can't help you regarding what differences there might be. But what do you think about Lightwave?
Old 10-18-2003, 03:29 AM   #8
Liver of Life

That was splendid, maan.

Of course, as has already been mentioned, the movements are a little weird, but I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle with a couple of hours' work
Old 10-18-2003, 04:04 AM   #9

Henke, I also took the VR-course at Nackademin back in 1999. At that time we used 3D Studio Max as the 3D Modelling tool and they were just about to get Maya. We didn't have any restrictions about how long the movie should be so I did a 3 min movie called Bad Luck. You can check it out here:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~garnax/Bad_Luck_(DivX).avi

or if you want the low res crappy version

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~garnax/Bad_Luck_(DivX_Low_Bitrate).avi

Last edited by sponken23; 10-18-2003 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:01 AM   #10
Under pressure.

Quote:
But what do you think about Lightwave?
I like the fact that LightWave makes use two different apps; one for modelling and one for setting up scenes with lights, camera's, etc... So it's more directed to animation instead of static scenes or 3d models for games. I believe that's why LightWave is often used for TV series (star trek, jimmy neutron).

Other than that the differences between other modeling sofware are minimal.

--Erwin
Old 10-18-2003, 06:09 AM   #11
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponken23
Henke, I also took the VR-course at Nackademin back in 1999. At that time we used 3D Studio Max as the 3D Modelling tool and they were just about to get Maya. We didn't have any restrictions about how long the movie should be so I did a 3 min movie called Bad Luck. You can check it out here:

Wowie! That was pretty good, mate. I loved the cinematography, or whatever they call the stuff you do with camera angles and stuff I just thought it ended a little abruptly.

Spoiler:
You could have an extra second or two after the tire falls on our protagonist for what happened to sink in to the viewer.

All in all, a jolly good job!
Old 10-18-2003, 06:15 AM   #12
Headbanger

Quote:

Really? Cool. How the hell did you manage to do a 3 minute movie? Was this your final project? It was really good BTW.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #13

About the abrupt ending. I actually have about one minute of end credits (containing only me ) on the dvd-version I made. This divx was ripped from the dvd and I cut the credits to make the file smaller.

This was my final project but I started pretty early on by my own, with tutorials I found on the net. It took quite some time with many late nights, because I had never used 3D Studio Max before.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:24 PM   #14
Headbanger

Quote:
This was my final project but I started pretty early on by my own, with tutorials I found on the net. It took quite some time with many late nights, because I had never used 3D Studio Max before.
Aha, that explains it. This wasn't anywhere near my final project. But I will begin with it soon. But there will be no movie since it takes to much time. It will be modelling and a small animation (but incredibly great). But right now I'm doing an adventuregame in Director and it's shaping up to be rather good if I may say so myself. 8-)
Old 10-18-2003, 10:51 PM   #15

Both movies were quite enjoyable ! Here are a couple of movies I made (for a 3D class I took as part of my studies). One was meant to emphasize the environment, the other was centered around animation. Hope you enjoy them.

submarine
Bender

Everything was made in 3D Studio Max 4.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:20 PM   #16
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny
Both movies were quite enjoyable ! Here are a couple of movies I made (for a 3D class I took as part of my studies). One was meant to emphasize the environment, the other was centered around animation. Hope you enjoy them.

submarine
Bender

Wow. That was really good. Must have taken some time. The Bender thing was really hilarious. Are your name Henk Mahieu?
Old 10-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #17
Liver of Life

Quote:

submarine
Bender

Yeah. Those were incredibly detailed and well done.

Seeing all this makes me impatient to attend my own 3D classes
Old 10-19-2003, 05:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Wow. That was really good. Must have taken some time. The Bender thing was really hilarious. Are your name Henk Mahieu?
Yep, that's my name. Each of those movies took me about two to three weeks of pretty solid work. In the submarine movie, the materials and lighting were the most difficult. In the bender movie it was the animation (obviously) as those bones don't always do what you want them to do.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:42 PM   #19

Quote:

submarine
Bender

Those movies looked great. I especially liked the lightning in the submarine movie.

Henke. What kind of adventure game are you making? A Monkey Island point and click type of game?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:36 AM   #20
Headbanger

Quote:
Henke. What kind of adventure game are you making? A Monkey Island point and click type of game?
No it's in 3D. It's like Grim Fandango or Escape From Monkey Island only in full 3D (sort of like Broken Sword 3 is suppose to be).