You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #1

Default Game developer - Revealing content?

I'm sorry for the bad title description but I couldn't find a better way at the moment...

I am in pre production of a serious adventuregame based on a vast game universe I have written. I am currently making a website were I am going to "sell" the concept when looking for investors and funding to actually start the project, and I would hope to get some advice to what kind of content the website should have to get the most positive attention from the public

On the webiste I will have a free graphical gameplay demo to download, but it has nothing to do with the adventuregame other than its graphics, gameplay and setting. I will also show different concept art, but what about material to read?

I will not reveal too much about the adventuregame project, but I have lots and lots of documents describing the unique universe that the game takes place in, and it is very original and interesting stuff

Any constructive ideas?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

From the materials present on your website your project already looks very intriguing. I hope you find a way to make the game.

However, the trouble with investors is that you can't really sell just a concept to them. Not without having some contacts in the industry anyway. Even a demo won't do much good. Especially, if there is some new tech and ideas involved in making the game. But basically it's very difficult to get anyone important to even try the demo.

In general, you have to start out with making some game that you fully fund by yourselves, spend time on getting people to notice it, and only then you might find outside funding for new projects.

Last edited by Ascovel; 10-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #3

Thanks, ascovel I have much more material waiting to be seen

Fortunately there aren't any new techs and ideas as we are using an existing engine and classic gameplay which is well known. However the story is truly unique and the concept is very detailed compared to other modern games in the genre because I had the ambition to create a world, not just a game.

I know that a website is not enough in itself, but some marketing professionals I have spoken to strongly suggested this method because hit counters and download numbers as references were powerful to describe the public interest in the product.

Anyways, if I don't give up, hopefully the project could become a game in the future
Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #4

I'm a bit surprised about the statement regarding the lack of effect when it comes to showing prototypes/demos to publishers. To my knowledge showing prototypes/demos is usually seen as the way to do it, unless you're already a well-known development company. Then a proposal, perhaps along with some art, could be enough. But maybe it's different when it comes to adventure games. Or maybe I know too little on the subject

EDIT: Added a bit to the beginning of the post.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerilon View Post
However the story is truly unique and the concept is very detailed compared to other modern games in the genre because I had the ambition to create a world, not just a game.
This could really become the project's forte. If you'd manage to gather a larger interest through offering glimpses at the world you created, it could help you find more support for your project. For example this indie group: http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth that is creating a fantasy action game has been gathering a lot of attention recently because of this kind of strategy (regularly revealing small doses of conetent, webcomics etc). They openly share tips for getting noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
To my knowledge showing prototypes/demos is usually seen as the way to do it, unless you're already a well-known development company. Then a proposal, perhaps along with some art, could be enough. But maybe it's different when it comes to adventure games. Or maybe I know to little on the subject
It is the way to do it. But before it comes to it you have to figure out how to get there. Normally no investor will look at your stuff unless they already are interested in it. So you must have some achievements or contacts (or both) to get their attention. Once you do that they evaluate if they feel the project seems profitable and how much risk is involved.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 10-03-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #6

Thank you both for the feedback

The overgrowth project looks interesting in the presentation of their world!
I might borrow some ideas
Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Scavenger Adventurer

Default Maybe not

You may not have to secure funding at all.
A few questions-
Are you developing the game yourself? If so, do you have a team?
Are you planning to quit your current job to design this game?
Is the game free or commercial?

If you're planning to develop it on a hobby basis, and you don't have a team,
as I am doing for my game, your only funding problem would lie in the relm of hardware and software.
In the case of hardware, what interface are you using? Realtime 3D or prerendered?(If, indeed, it is 3D). If you are using realtime, you don't need a very powerful PC. If you do, however need one, I'd recommend one somewhere around 4X 3.0 GHZ(e.g. A quad core 3.0 GHz CPU), 4 GBs of RAM, and a 1GB graphics card(These are difficult to select, reviews are your friend). If you use windows, XP is the best, as, even through it is old, it is the stablest.
In the case of software, you can pick up everything you need for free(legally). For 3D, Bryce 5.5 is a good start if you've never had expeireice before. For best results, and realtime 3D, Blender 3D is the way to go. There's also Art of Illusion, which is not well supported or well-known, but is intermediate between Bryce and Blender.
For 2D work, GIMP is the best option.
For 2D programming, Pipmak is the best, althrough it is not fully featured yet.
If you need something more complete, but not as good, check out SCream engine. You'll need permission from Nucluoses(wrong spelling) studios to use it for commercial use.
Audacity is a great option for sound design.

I'll PM you my E-mail address, and you can ask me anytime about anything related to Adventure development. Note that I am not an expert, but just trying to help.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerilon View Post
I'm sorry for the bad title description but I couldn't find a better way at the moment...

I am in pre production of a serious adventuregame based on a vast game universe I have written. I am currently making a website were I am going to "sell" the concept when looking for investors and funding to actually start the project, and I would hope to get some advice to what kind of content the website should have to get the most positive attention from the public

On the webiste I will have a free graphical gameplay demo to download, but it has nothing to do with the adventuregame other than its graphics, gameplay and setting. I will also show different concept art, but what about material to read?

I will not reveal too much about the adventuregame project, but I have lots and lots of documents describing the unique universe that the game takes place in, and it is very original and interesting stuff

Any constructive ideas?
Hey there bud!

First, my credentials, so you don't think I'm crazy or anything..

My name is Justin J. Gaughan, I'm actually the co-founder of mmorpg.com, and current president of www.nemesisstudios.com / www.goonworld.com, and newly founded www.loadsofbugs.com and our upcoming game to compete with games such as Mybrute, www.grimarena.com.

First, I'd like to say. Kudos on the concept art, it looks very good. But from an honest perspective, the website lacks in both code, and art - and uses a lot of "bump/bevel/embossed" style art, which is very photoshop'sh, and is not going to help your case in selling the design to your customers, if you are indeed targeting todays game industry visual standards.

I assume you're the artist? If so, you have a lot of talent, but you need to learn how to market that talent. Also, you need to consider your current team, the entire scope of your project and set milestones, and manage your project to completion. It's very easy to start a project, a huge project.. and never complete it due to the complexity of keeping remote sessioned users interested, and the morale up within your team/company.

If you want any advice, feel free to contact me on yahoo messenger: JJnse.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #9

Hi Justin!

Thanks for the comment on the art

Now I am fully aware that my company website screams for an update, I didn't spend much time on it. However I am not a coder so I have to keep it simple.

But this is also why I started this thread, because I am making a new site tailored for the game only. This site looks much better and more professional, and it also has a real gallery with more art.

Of course I am serious about the project, and it isn't the next AAA title so I am not afraid that I can not lead the production. However it is our debut project and we will face many unexpected tasks I am sure
Old 12-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #10

Hey Xerilon,

Just wanted to say, that your concept art, looks really good... Best luck with your project.
Keep up the good work

L8r!

Bastos