You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Who Wants to Write/Make a Game With Me? (New Project, Need Help!!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Default Who Wants to Write/Make a Game With Me? (New Project, Need Help!!)

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to make a Sierra style point and click adventure game. I love this kind of art work and would eventually one day like to make a similar looking game (in this style I mean not copy lol).

After seeing the amazing progress and artwork of Rise of The Hidden Sun I've made one of my goals in life to eventually one day make a decent adventure game.

But for the moment I don't have the financial stability to make one as such but I've decided to start up a new project anyway.

I'm always jotting down ideas and writing basic drafts ideas for an adventure game storyline so I thought why not...

I'm starting up a new project (currently has no name).
The first objective is to come up with an idea for an adventure game, write the story and script and work out puzzles etc. It might sound quite ambitious but why not it could be fun.

If anyone would like to get involved in the project in anyway shape or form let me know here or email me at [email protected]. Or even if you want to just ask a question.

It's currently a blank canvas but I've got quite a few ideas...

P.S. If you prefer games like The Curse of Monkey Island, Broken Sword and Grim Fandango then this project is defiantly for you...
Click Here to view screenshots

Last edited by J. Skeng; 03-01-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #2

Or private message me
Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Old lady who loves games

Hey PureSkeng,

I wish I could write you something, I had just finished writing 3 game stories plus the one for the game I'm working on right now. Two of the stories I gave away to friends. I have 18 more games to write yet.

What I find helps is cliff notes. I think about what I want the story to be about and the outcome then I put myself into the story's situation. That's what I did with Terror Within Hawk Manor, which I gave to a friend.

Problem with me is I'm always being bombarded with ideas for stories, I just can't get the time to work at it steady. Once I finish with Roanoke I'm going to sit down and just write all the stories out, some I might make into games myself and others I just might give them away. I got an idea for a story just looking at a picture a friend made.

I find if you visualize yourself in the game and say to yourself, what would I do if I was actually in this situation. For instance say you were making a game about a haunted factory, see yourself standing inside the factory, see the surroundings. Maybe you hear a whisper coming from behind an office door. Maybe that would be a cue to go to the office and find a clue there.

I don't know if this helps you or not. Just keep jotting down ideas and then write your story around them. If your story is based on say historical facts you'll find that the history will sometimes write a good chunk of the story for you.

Making games can be fun. If you need tools or picking out an engine, drop by my site and have a look around. Just click on the address in my sig for StarLite Palace, you might find something there to help you out. Good luck getting a game together, I hope to be playing it sometime in the near future.

http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/
Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLite View Post
Hey PureSkeng,

I wish I could write you something, I had just finished writing 3 game stories plus the one for the game I'm working on right now. Two of the stories I gave away to friends. I have 18 more games to write yet.

What I find helps is cliff notes. I think about what I want the story to be about and the outcome then I put myself into the story's situation. That's what I did with Terror Within Hawk Manor, which I gave to a friend.

Problem with me is I'm always being bombarded with ideas for stories, I just can't get the time to work at it steady. Once I finish with Roanoke I'm going to sit down and just write all the stories out, some I might make into games myself and others I just might give them away. I got an idea for a story just looking at a picture a friend made.

I find if you visualize yourself in the game and say to yourself, what would I do if I was actually in this situation. For instance say you were making a game about a haunted factory, see yourself standing inside the factory, see the surroundings. Maybe you hear a whisper coming from behind an office door. Maybe that would be a cue to go to the office and find a clue there.

I don't know if this helps you or not. Just keep jotting down ideas and then write your story around them. If your story is based on say historical facts you'll find that the history will sometimes write a good chunk of the story for you.

Making games can be fun. If you need tools or picking out an engine, drop by my site and have a look around. Just click on the address in my sig for StarLite Palace, you might find something there to help you out. Good luck getting a game together, I hope to be playing it sometime in the near future.
Thanks for the feedback great help .

I don't think I made my original post clear though I don't want someone to write it for me just wondered if people wanted to write with me, it's always good to have a group of people to bounce ideas off and what not.

I find when writing stories for games I can never stick with one. I reeeally want to make a Broken Sword type adventure game with twists, conspiracy, seriousness and comedy etc but I also want to make a Curse Of Monkey Island type game with comedy, jokes and sillyness.

No matter what though I plan on writing a very deep story for the game as I believe this is the most important part (well one of the most important parts lol).

But my main objective is to formulate a team with a similar objective as me. I don't want to design a short cheap looking game either, I'm talking Rise Of The Hidden Sun type level for my project.

It's ambitious but every journey begins with the first step...

P.S. Maybe I should post this topic on your forums as well starlite?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Old lady who loves games

Hey PureSkeng

You are more than welcome to stop by. You never know what could happen. We get a lot of traffic that's for sure, maybe someone will see your message and might be able to help out. Anything is possible. Keep plugging along and good luck.

http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/
Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #6

Done
Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #7

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=24189 visit this thread to see screenshots of the game now in production.