You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Looking for Background Artist(s) for my Adventure Game Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #1

Default Looking for Background Artist(s) for my Adventure Game Project

I'm trying to get my adventure game project, The Adventures of Stanley Bicksford off the ground but I can't draw backgrounds in enough detail to go ahead with the project. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle the characters and animation myself though. The game will be made using SLUDGE By the way. So...any takers?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventurer
I'm trying to get my adventure game project, The Adventures of Stanley Bicksford off the ground but I can't draw backgrounds in enough detail to go ahead with the project. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle the characters and animation myself though. The game will be made using SLUDGE By the way. So...any takers?
I can't help you out, I'm afraid, but I do have a tip: It's generally much easier to find an artist when you already done a big portion of the game.

If I were you I'd start programming and use crappy stick figures and sketches of the backgrounds as placeholder graphics. That way you can show how you have the game in mind, e.g. how the story will flow, what locations you're gonna use, which puzzles, etc... It's good to focus on the story, puzzles and dialogues first before you start with artwork.

You don't wanna know how many backgrounds (that usually take two days to finish) went down the drain because I decided to change a bit in the story, or something.

--Erwin
Old 09-21-2003, 02:33 AM   #3
Liver of Life

Like Erwin said, work out all the nitty gritty details of the story before you try to draw stuff. Otherwise, you might find yourself with two incomplete portions of an incomplete game and you may lose motivation or the general desire to go on.

Also, to attract background artists, tell them what your story is about. The setting, the outline of the story, etc. Tell them what they might be getting into before they make the commitment
Old 09-21-2003, 04:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkode
Like Erwin said, work out all the nitty gritty details of the story before you try to draw stuff. Otherwise, you might find yourself with two incomplete portions of an incomplete game and you may lose motivation or the general desire to go on.

Also, to attract background artists, tell them what your story is about. The setting, the outline of the story, etc. Tell them what they might be getting into before they make the commitment
A Valid point.

The Adventurers of Stanley Bickford: Certified Exterminator

Spesifics: An Adventure is 3 Acts. Act One is the current project made up of only 8 or 9 rooms total, short because A) It's the prologe and B) It's a testing ground.

Main Character: Stanley Bickford, Everyman type. Runs his own Exterminator Business, sleeps in the office Bathroom, is a bit cowardly and generaly hates wierd and strange things. Which happen to him regularly.

Story: Late one night Stanley gets a call from the local bar. Seems as there are strange noises coming from the basement and they're disterbing the Customers and the Bar Owner wants them cleared out, Now. After a series of puzzles to remove a giant Rat blocking the basment door, Stanley discoveres what appears to be a Portal to another world in the basement(the sorce of the noise). He gets sucked into a strange Oz or Wonderland type world and the real adventure begins. Much to Stanley's dismay.

Style: The first Act is primarily dark and noir like because it's the middle of the night in a city. The other Acts shift between the wimsical and dreary.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:28 AM   #5

Default Attracting Background Artists

I disagree that it's necessarily a good idea to disclose your storyline. I've been developing the storyline of my own game for about 2 years (it's an epic saga), and so far I've kept it a secret. But I do agree that if you need help, at least show people what you've got. Just use placeholders until you can find someone. In fact, if your game is relatively short, you might as well make the entire game and leave the background art till the very end.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:17 AM   #6
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Nobody wants to jump onto a sinking boat. You have to convince them that your boat will stay afloat. And that you're not afraid of rhyming, if it'll make your game better.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-29-2003, 12:09 PM   #7
Ooh, Betty!

I might be interested, I was trying to make a game all on my own over at AD, but I haven't got time for that. I have however found time to do a little drawing. What little I've done is at here tell me if you're interested. Oh and ignore all that depressing stuff
Old 09-29-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Screw that. I like your grand omen thingie.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 PM   #9
Ooh, Betty!

Yeah I like it too, shame I didn't draw it. It's just on my favourites