You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 03:47 PM   #1

Default GK Tribute Finally Finished!!

After working on a "GK Tribute Montage" entitled Gabriel und Grace: Eine Symphonie des Grauens von Gottes Gnaden for a week straight, Deshrill has finally finished uploading the files in various formats online.

"I would just like to say that this thing started as what was supposed to last five minutes and ended up turning into a complex 17 1/2 minute Wagnerian-style suite of different music styles, including selections from various anthems from around the globe, along with some highlights from Robert Holmes's Gabriel Knight score, medieval music from the Brobdignagian Bards, and lots of different musical genres such as jazz, African tribal beats, and choirs of school-children singing the Russian national anthem."

"I would also like to point out that all I did was arrange multiple songs to various images to make it sound like the end credit score to a movie-- this is the first time I have tried arranging, but I'd like to think it turned out pretty well. I'm 1/3 German, so maybe that's part of the reason why I've responded to the Gabriel Knight series so strongly."

"This montage is really just a love letter to different cultures and musical around the world, to Jane Jensen & Robert Holmes for creating such a wonderful game with such a great score, and to Ken & Roberta Williams for giving adventure games fan many an entertaining night in front of our computer screens."

Structured in a few different movements, the GK Tribute starts off with an excerpt from the "Girl in the Tower" theme played as nostalgic scenes from the KQ series and the first ECO-QUEST game... Then music then switches between a medley of styles to set up the tone/history of the cultures featured in the first game in the Gabriel Knight trilogy: African/Voodoo, European (German, British), and Mayan. After this segment, it segues into the arranged version of the GK Theme as done in GK2, showing promo images.

When the GK Theme from the original game pops up, the cutting starts to speed up in time to the music, ultimately raising the tension until the music segues into ending credit theme to GK. The end credits suite start, with more montage and lots of musical styles switching seamlessly from one to another-- each montage is designed to have a different effect for the viewer. The end credits are pretty long, but I hope I have arranged the music and images so they are entertaining. If you stick around to the end, there might be a surprise (perhaps an Egg of Easter, no?) waiting for you...

So, thanks for your patience with my silly press release style blurbs on this project, which has become far more personal to me than you can ever imagine. Post comments below... So, quit monkeying around, and click on the links:

Note: you might need the latest DivX codec to play these, I'm not too sure. The resolution is 200 x 200, pretty small, so things get pixelated if you go full screen.

I apologize that the smallest format I have the entire montage in is Windows Media Player, but that was the smallest I could compress the entire thing (which was originally 450 MEGS!).

[16 MEGS] GK Tribute Montage (COMPLETE) WMV

[17 MEGS] [GK Tribute Score (MUSIC ONLY) MP3

[4 MEGS] GK Tribute Montage (EXCERPT) RM

---

Thanks again for reading the message. Let me know if you like it!
Attached Images

Last edited by Deshrill; 01-25-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Retirement is stupid

I'm very happy that you've put so much time into this.

But so help me Guybrush, if you start one more thread about it, I'm going to merge every single post you've ever written into one nice clean thread.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
I'm very happy that you've put so much time into this.

But so help me Guybrush, if you start one more thread about it, I'm going to merge every single post you've ever written into one nice clean thread.

- Evan
Yeah, that would work... I did post a lot of threads, didn't I?

I'm just very curious to see what other people think of it... I showed it to a friend of mine who doesn't play video games and she liked the music but was confused by the editing techniques, but then I just showed it to a friend who played all the KQ games and she never found it boring...

I think it's a bit too long, but that's the whole nostalgia thing, I guess...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Nice movie, I like your work, but I think it becomes a bit boring when you start using the same images over and over.

Most of the music was good, but some were a little out of place. I liked the New Orleans-style Jazz music, and the african music was also appropriate.

Also, why does the movie show Mayan images? I don't recall them being mentioned in any of the GK games... 8-)

Also, perhaps the images are a bit too static. Have you considered taking animated excerpts from the game?

Keep up the good work!

PS; Oh. it's "Schattenjägers", with two Ts in Schatten instead of 'Schaten', and a diaeresis on the Ä. Why do I see it misspelled almost everywhere on the internet?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 AM   #5

Yeah, the images do tend to repeat themselves a bit towards the end... I downloaded a lot of files to work from, but with all of the cutting... The end credits could use some work (they are too long), but I like how most of the music is.

Glad you liked it.

The reason I showed Mayan images is for some reason I thought the temple that Gabriel and Wolfgang enter was Mayan, but it's actually African! Oh, well... The skull/snake imagery works enough into the whole voodoo GK thing, I think. Probably some personal thing since I lived overseas in Latin America for six years when I was younger, I don't know.

I kept the images static to make it a true montage-- in high school I cut 7 music videos as class projects and since my computer is slow (well, not cutting edge...), rendering video in Premiere often causes the timing on cuts to mess up, so the stills were a good exercise...

Damn... I really should have checked the spelling of Schattenjager... It is misspelled a lot on the Internet, so... Ah, well.

Also, if you notice, in the intro I don't say the name to KQ 6 correctly (I say Heirs of Eternity, or something)...

What music seemed out of place? Just wondering...

Thanks again for watching/downloading it.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #6

the links are broken, is there anywhere else i can download the WMV file?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
underwater adventurer

Send a message via ICQ to captain Nemo

Yeah, please somebody mirror At least wmv file!
p.s. hey, Deshril, why didn't you give link to your radio plays? They are nice

Last edited by captain Nemo; 05-01-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
fire breathing

the link ain't working for me.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #9

Ah, shit. Didn't realize this thread was still around.

Give me a little bit of time and I'll slap the files up online.

For those that wanna check out of Graphic Adventure Radio Plays, go to Vampyric Whimsy Productions. Thanks!http://vampyricwhimsy.20m.com
Old 06-18-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshrill
Ah, shit. Didn't realize this thread was still around.

Give me a little bit of time and I'll slap the files up online.

For those that wanna check out of Graphic Adventure Radio Plays, go to Vampyric Whimsy Productions. Thanks!http://vampyricwhimsy.20m.com
Please do. I'm a huge fan of this series, so I want to see your work.
Also, I'm a personal aquaintance of the daughter of Robert Holmes and the step-daughter of Jane Jensen, so I'll email it to her if you get it working. There's also a chance that way that Holmes and Jensen will get to see it too.