You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Text adventures hit me like a speeding truck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #1

Default Text adventures hit me like a speeding truck

Hi, community.

I'm not much of an adventure gamer and not much of a designer. However, recently I took a uni course that required a working knowledge of Prolog, and I stumbled upon a booklet called "Adventure in Prolog" that demonstrated the language through the development of a barebones text adventure.

The booklet being kinda interesting, I downloaded WinFrotz and some .z files, played through a few games - and got hooked. And I got a burning desire to put together a text adventure of my own and share it with others.

The thing is, I also feel quite a bit discouraged. In this age of graphics, few people play text games anymore, and those who do are spoiled by high standards of the overcrowded scene. Why bother with my hack when you can download hundreds of old classics and award-winning new games for free?

I'd be very interested to read your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I suspect that not many people would be making games of any sort if they worried about the competition too much. Why not make something if you want to - it's the only way to find out whether or not you're worrying about nothing in terms of the standard!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:36 AM   #3

I am just in the finishing process of my first text adventure! Its a point`n click text adventure!! Ever heard that combination?
Its not the best in the world, but it gives a few hours of play time, and I would do it even if I was the only one to play it

Its FUN to make games!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy
Why bother with my hack when you can download hundreds of old classics and award-winning new games for free?

I'd be very interested to read your thoughts on this. Thank you!
There are plenty of Text Adventure fans in this forums and others, so you would have a small but solid audience, I'd say.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what Robert said. Follow your inspiration, and don't worry about how it will be received.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:49 AM   #6

Thank you all for encouragement.

I've since began writing a library in Prolog, and the English parser is already functional. I know the common practice is to use an authoring language such as Inform, but I love the elegance and accessibility of Prolog. As Dennis Merritt (the author of Adventure in Prolog) points out, it is an excellent language for modelling robust world representations.

My next project will be a tiny "get-all-treasure-and-escape" dungeon, just to see if I can pull it off and what the common pitfalls are, before tackling that epic-mystery-kung-fu-romance-horror-comedy