You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Realistic Adventure Game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
adventurefan99

Default Realistic Adventure Game

Hi All!

I was just wondering if you could suggest a couple of adventure games that don't include elements of factasy, sci-fi, etc. Basically just an adventure game set in the real world similar to something like Sherlock Holmes and Still-Life.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
Banned User

That's a tall order.

How about Leisure Suit Larry?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
OB

Does it have to be a newer game? Gabriel Knight would qualify if it doesn't matter. I also think The Moment of Silence, although I guess that gets into the sci-fi area side of things. I guess I think of sci-fi more along the lines of Blade Runner or Star Trek than TMOS.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:56 AM   #4
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Broken Sword
Old 07-17-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Under pressure.

And uh, Runaway... Can't say I've played a lot of games in a 'normal' setting. I guess I'm more of a sci-fi, fantasy type.

--Erwin
Old 07-17-2005, 04:30 AM   #6
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Post Mortem
Old 07-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #7
Senior *female* member

Great opportunity to get one of my favorite games mentioned again: The Last Express. If you like FMV with real people, Byzantine: The Betrayal is a good one. Both are 1st-person though and that's not the favorite mode of most posters here.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
adventurefan99

Thanks for the feedback. IMO Gabriel Knight falls more into the category of fantasy (Zombies, Werewolves etc.), the same with Broken Sword.

I'm looking more for adventure games that don't have any supernatural or sci-fi elements.

Quote:
Great opportunity to get one of my favorite games mentioned again: The Last Express.
Thanks for reminding me. I've always been meaning to get a copy of this sometime.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Up a tree

Full Throttle, In cold blood...Can't think of anymore professional ones right now but if you don't mind amateur games, you should have a look through the AGS games. Here's some that come to mind: 6 day assassin, no-action Jackson and (to some extent) the Ben Jordan series. Now, I know Ben Jordan deals with occult themes but they are realised in a very realistic way and is far more Sherlock Holmes mystery than X-Files.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #10

Any reason you prefer realistic games?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Cruise for a corpse
Versailles

Just one question, you say Broken Sword falls into the "supernatural" category of adventure games (I'm ready to agree with you about Broken Sword 2, and 3 , somethings are not real in those games but most, but ok, it's supernatuaral things in those games, whatsoever), but was is supernatural in Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

He asked for realistic adventures that don't have any sci-fi or fantasy aspects, and the answers are Gabriel Knight, The Broken Sword, The Moment of Silence, and Leisure Suit Larry

I would have thought that games like The Final Cut, Clue and The Black Dahlia would be more suited
Old 07-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #13
merely human

The Last Express is a good one. Aren't the Tex Murphy games rooted firmly in reality as well?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #14

Why was Full Throttle suggested? It takes place in a post-apocalyptic future!
Old 07-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
Yeah, but it's not really a sci-fi game at all. With the exception of the hover fan puzzle, I'm pretty sure any puzzle or story element or even dialogue line could be transplanted into modern times unchanged.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #16
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville

It does? I thought it just takes place in the Desert. After all, there are still companies - I don't imagine there to be companies in a post-apocalyptic future.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Aren't the Tex Murphy games rooted firmly in reality as well?
Nope.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 AM   #18
SamNMax

Far from it, actually.

Noir springs to mind, but it's a tad mediocre. 1893: A World's Fair Mystery is a great one.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #19
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
Just one question, you say Broken Sword falls into the "supernatural" category of adventure games (I'm ready to agree with you about Broken Sword 2, and 3 , somethings are not real in those games but most, but ok, it's supernatuaral things in those games, whatsoever), but was is supernatural in Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars?
Spoiler:
Toward the end, the Baphomet site is described as a fountain of spiritual energy derived from a godly source.

Quote:
He asked for realistic adventures that don't have any sci-fi or fantasy aspects, and the answers are Gabriel Knight, The Broken Sword, The Moment of Silence, and Leisure Suit Larry
Moment of Silence includes public-access space stations, alien conspiracy theories, magnetic cars, all-purpose electronic devices that serve as communicators, ID, and currency, cyber "avatars" to disguise one's face and voice in online conversation, legalized designer drugs, etc. These are all ideas that, given current technological progress, could one day come to pass, but are still classified in the science fiction category.

The Broken Sword series includes, besides that mentioned above, the attempted return to power of an ancient Mayan god, a duel with a dragon, a hologram of Anubis created by the ancient Egyptians, and a man who controls lightning with his hands.

Quote:
It does? I thought it just takes place in the Desert. After all, there are still companies - I don't imagine there to be companies in a post-apocalyptic future.
There are several references in Full Throttle to some sort of catastrophe taking place that changed the face of the world, most notably in the song playing on the radio in Todd's trailer, in which the singer "Thanks God every day for the Apocalypse" and mentions his mother's face dripping into the dirt (ie, because of some form of radiation poisoning). It would seem to me that the "Apocalypse" was some form of nuclear war that did a lot of damage without wiping out the human race--hence the continued existence of the Corley company. Also, there are hover cars, robotic bikes, and plasma motorcycle engines. It's science-fiction.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #20
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasen't Runaway - A road adventure realistic?