You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure His Dark Materials - a game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
fire breathing

Default His Dark Materials - a game

anyone else ever daydreamed about any adventure games adapted from this book series? they are 1. The Northern Lights or The golden compass in the u.s, 2. the subtle knife and 3. the amber spyglass
Old 07-13-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
A Servicable Villain

I've seen this series in the bookstore. Is it nice? Well, obviously, since you started a topic about it. Still, persuade me.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

I've been told to read these books as well. Currently reading the Harry Potter books for the first time (which I'm rather enjoying) and will start on this thereafter. On a related note, The Da Vinci Code is one hell of an adventure game waiting to happen.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 07-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Jen

His Dark Materials is better than Harry Potter. Much darker and containing more mature themes. It strikes at the very heart of our religious beliefs. In fact, I'm surprised the church groups have not gone all up in arms trying to get it banned from school libraries.

Yeah, it would be cool to wield that Subtle Knife in a game, wouldn't it?

The Neverending Story would make a great game (and I don't mean Auryn Quest!)
Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
I've seen this series in the bookstore. Is it nice? Well, obviously, since you started a topic about it. Still, persuade me.
written for 12 year olds, but enjoyable by anyone imho. a modern day allegory of the story of the Garden of Eden...with lots of parrallel universes and a war in heaven....with the fate of everything tied up in a 12 year old girl and boy. cool stuff.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
Easily amused

I concur with Jen. This is a much darker world than Harry Potter's. The books are excellent, if you enjoy fantasy.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
Epinionated.

It's like a childrens Dark Tower series.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
It's like a childrens Dark Tower series.
I'll believe that when I see it. As far as I'm concerned, nothing's ever going to match that series.

Quote:
The Neverending Story would make a great game (and I don't mean Auryn Quest!)
I don't think that book would really work as an AG; it barely works as a book, and it doesn't work at all as a movie. Cardboard characters, more loose ends than a sweater in a moth's nest, things happening without motivation just because the story calls for them to happen...bleh.

Hmmm...I sound very bitter all of a sudden...

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-14-2005, 12:41 AM   #9
Epinionated.

I said "like"! Not "as good as".

Besides, Dark Tower is overrated...

*runs*

Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
The Solomon of Sarcasm

*draws sandalwood pistol on squarejaw*

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 AM   #11
Epinionated.

*use rock on sandlewood pistol*
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 AM   #12
The Solomon of Sarcasm

"That doesn't work!"

--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
Epinionated.

"LOOK! The Goodyear blimp!"

*runs*
Old 07-14-2005, 04:29 AM   #14

They were making a movie, that would, of course translate, into a game, but i doubt they would make it an adventure. Anyway I think the movie is not going forward, the prospect of religious groups bashing the nature of the story must hava scared them off.

Anyway, an adventure game would be fun, the interpretation of the symbols in the golden compass alone would make an excellent puzzle game!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:56 AM   #15
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
Anyway I think the movie is not going forward, the prospect of religious groups bashing the nature of the story must hava scared them off.
no, it is. it's a bit hectic, since they've changed directors and script writers and all that, but it's still officially in the works. Philip Pullman doesn't give up that easily. And there isn't that much opposition....the books are officially endorsed by the archbishop of Canterbury....