You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #61

On the "outgrowing" of cartoony games - well, I know older women who are huge fans of Bart Simpson, and the assorted, more serious anime and graphic novels, also the Pixar films. Personally, I thought that "The Incredibles", a Pixar film, an animation, was a brilliant film. It was funny and even cartoony, but it taught us a lot about life. If I was to blatantly generalize I would say that many women enjoy slapstick comedy less than many men do. Notice I didn't say "all".

There's a book out - "Gender Inclusive Game Design", by Sheri Ray Graner. Sheri Ray Graner has done a bunch of things in the game industry - currently, she's a senior designer for Sony Online Entertainment. I never bought the book, but this time I probably will. One of the things that Graner says, based on some research and studies, is that women are fine with violence in a game, but it's the type of violence, the reason for it, and how they are supposed to react to it - that makes a difference.

It's all so interesting.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #62
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I think age enters into it as well. Most of the females I know in adv gaming are older and got into gaming as adults. Mieze, for you and FOV, who started as kids, I can see your liking the cartoony classics, but for us older gals, we had already "outgrown" (for lack of a better word) that kind of humor, and prefer the more serious fare. This doesn't mean there isn't some overlap, of course, and they are generalities anyway.
FGM-Lyn
TODO list #156 : Never ever grow as an "adult".
Old 05-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #63
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
Ditto.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #64
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv
On the "outgrowing" of cartoony games - well, I know older women who are huge fans of Bart Simpson, and the assorted, more serious anime and graphic novels, also the Pixar films. Personally, I thought that "The Incredibles", a Pixar film, an animation, was a brilliant film. It was funny and even cartoony, but it taught us a lot about life.
Yeah, it's my second favorite last year's movie. Very serious things can be said in cartoony style, no need to look further than the world of comics for proof. Granted, cartoony adventures so far have mostly been exclusively humorous so I can see where Fairygdmther's coming from. I can't say I'm a big fan of new age overtones found in most Myst-like games so to each its own, I guess
Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #65
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
While I can see while you feel that way, note that I said - ..."got into gaming as an adult." That does mean we can still play "games", even if our sense of humor changes. Wormsie, I think it was you who said once that you didn't like staged humor, but preferred to laugh at things that happened spontaneously. I know I'm like that. I've never liked sitcoms or stand-up comics. The humor seems too forced for my liking. Maybe that applies to adv games as well.

FGM-Lyn
Old 05-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #66
Epinionated.

Only one chick game I can think of.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...F&game_id=7825
Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #67
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
And LOOM is still one of my top favourite games!
Loom = awesome
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #68
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
just one of my plans for the future

but i understand where FGM's coming from... hasn't happened to me with games yet, but it definitely has with movies... i'm not laughing at the slap-stick humour as much as i used to - but i still like to play worms2...

...still, that all depends on my mood...

...it's all very confuzzling...

-sandra

Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #69
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegumchewingwoman
just one of my plans for the future
-sandra
The Grown-Up But Not That Adult Front is ever expanding!

Quote:
but i understand where FGM's coming from... hasn't happened to me with games yet, but it definitely has with movies... i'm not laughing at the slap-stick humour as much as i used to - but i still like to play worms2...
I have lots of 30+ friends who have kids and who still dig some things one may consider as immature (video games (some work with me on making those), Monty Python, sci-fi, comics (some even draw these)).
And when I was younger, and studying engineering, I met amazing freaks : mature people that had a hypo-humouresque over-serious syndrome, though they only were 20.
So at first, after this very scientific study with strong theoretical foundations, we can say it is not at all correlated to age.

At least I'm quite happy that Ron Gilbert and Tim Shafer still weren't adults in the 80-90's.
So it is not correlated with creativity either.

Great! There's still hope for us non-adults!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:27 PM   #70
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
I have lots of 30+ friends who have kids and who still dig some things one may consider as immature (video games (some work with me on making those), Monty Python, sci-fi, comics (some even draw these)).

I still love that Picture book (though it had more text than usual for a picture book) that I used to read as a child. It was about a farm, and the family and animals that lived there. I think it were several separate stories.

I wish I knew where that book is right now...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #71
Barroom hero

Quote:
I still love that Picture book (though it had more text than usual for a picture book) that I used to read as a child. It was about a farm, and the family and animals that lived there. I think it were several separate stories.
-
My younger brother had one that made digitized sounds of the animals the farm!
Neat, uh?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #72
gin soaked boy

Quote:
I don't consider any of those things immature per se and I think people who do just don't know that much about them. All prejudices and false preconceptions.

Quote:
I still love that Picture book (though it had more text than usual for a picture book) that I used to read as a child.
I had this beautifully painted Chinese tale about sunflowers when I was a kid. Only a few months ago I found it burried in my grandma's closet. It's all worn with age, torn pages, yellow stains and everything, but it's still a gorgeous book. I need to scan the pages and see if they can somehow be restored.

I still keep all my childhood books and toys, including my beloved Masters of the Universe collection

And a couple of Barbie dolls...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #73
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
The Grown-Up But Not That Adult Front is ever expanding!

And when I was younger, and studying engineering, I met amazing freaks : mature people that had a hypo-humouresque over-serious syndrome, though they only were 20.
So at first, after this very scientific study with strong theoretical foundations, we can say it is not at all correlated to age.

At least I'm quite happy that Ron Gilbert and Tim Shafer still weren't adults in the 80-90's.
So it is not correlated with creativity either.

Great! There's still hope for us non-adults!
the moment i turned 18 it was shock-shock-horror-horror! i never wanted to grow up to be any older than about 10 (and i still only feel like an 8 year old sometimes... )...

i say hooray for the non-adult-adults! (but i'm also fine with those who want to be )

Old 05-10-2005, 03:08 AM   #74
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
the moment i turned 18 it was shock-shock-horror-horror! i never wanted to grow up to be any older than about 10 (and i still only feel like an 8 year old sometimes... )...

The same goes for me...

We are the Eternal Children! Woo!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!