You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
Mystic

Default "chick games"?

there's a host of 'chick flicks' but are there 'chick games'? that is-- games that appeal to a largely female audience? The games i was wondering if they fell into this catergory are Black Dahlia (sp?) and the black mirror, but if there are other games people can come up with i'm curious. adventures only i mean.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

If the mods move this thread to Adventure, I'll get a bigger post count! Yay!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Doctor Watson

Larry, as far as I've heard. They like playing a man who is a jerk ("they've all dated one", Al Lowe said.)

Last edited by Wormsie; 05-07-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

If we could dispense with the term "chick", I would be happy - unless of course the opposite might be "prick" games. I think there are some games that appeal to more females than males. The Nancy Drew games come to mind, though I don't like them myself, many do like them.

Like in books, many women prefer a certain amount of predictability in their stories - no gory surprises, for instance, so many women like romances and mysteries, where the ending will be as expected. Note this is NOT all women, and possibly not even MOST women, but it does exist.

The first adv games often had the save-the-princess theme - an apt one for a guy, but not too great for a woman. We have evolved beyond that, mostly, but there are repetitive themes of saving the world, and either a man or woman can do that. (!)

While TLJ was liked by both sexes fairly evenly, I was kinda surprised that so many guys liked Syberia - this to me would be something I would expect to be a "women's" game. I think most games today bridge the gender gap very well, and interest both sexes. In the long thread, I noticed that there were more women on one side of the argument than the other, that of the not-all- newer-games-are-bad side. I didn't want to introduce gender bias into that equation, but I did notice the way things fell.

This is an interesting premise, and as long as it doesn't evolve into a gender war, will be interesting to see opinions.

FGM-Lyn
Old 05-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I am not sure if there are games specifically for girls.

But I think there are games that might be more popular with girls, than with guys.

I personally prefer games that are creative (who doesn't), and maybe a bit fantasy-ish. TLJ was perfect.

I don't really like romance and overly "emotional" scenes - It gets too embarrassing most of the time. For example: I loved "The Black Mirror". It was perfect. But at the beginning there was the part where Samuel is constantly whining about the death of his wife Catherine, and how guilty he feels about it. It had a touch of Daily Soapoperas. And I hate the guts out of Daily Soapoperas.

I don't like overly gory scenes either. This varies, though, otherwise I wouldn't like "The Black Mirror". If it is in unnecessary amounts, I tend to dislike it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Larry, as far as I've heard. The like playing a man who is a jerk ("they've all dated one", Al Lowe said.)

No, we don't.

I don't like jerks. And I definitely wouldn't wan't to play one.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 05-07-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #6

My girlfriend has played Syberia 1 and 2, and now is playing Still Life. I've come to the conclusion that she is way smarter than I am, because she gets through really hard puzzles like it's nothing.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Can I get a what...what!?

I know its certainly been said before, but it adventure games are definately geared more to a broader audience that most other kinds of games. While everyone can enjoy them, I think most console game publishers and FPS game publishers target the teenage male market. Yay egalitarian AGs!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I don't like jerks. And I definitely wouldn't wan't to play one.
Well, perhaps you might want to see how a jerk makes an ass of himself? This is what the Larry games are like, mostly.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
gin soaked boy

My last girlfriend mostly played puzzle games like Zuma Deluxe, Incadia, Diner Dash, Astropop... She also liked Sands of Time, but sucked at it so she quit playing it after a while. As for adventures, I tried to get her hooked on DOTT and she kinda liked it, but never continued playing it on her own.

None of the girls I was with before her liked any computer games at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Well, perhaps you might want to see how a jerk makes an ass of himself? This is what the Larry games are like, mostly.
Well, maybe that.

But most often I like to identify with the character in some way. So, with April Ryan (apart from the fact that she is female), I could identify because I am an artist too (and other things). In the case of Samuel Gordon, it was because he was curious, as I am.

Guybrush Threepwood: He does not always succeed.

Zanthia: You wouldn't want to see me furious... And like Zanthia, I can't stand stupid/annoying people.

Malcolm: I wish I were so good at playing tricks, or be so malevolent. But I am not. But sometimes I can be quite malevolent, if only in my mind. Also, I really like Jesters/Fools.

Kate Walker: Well, she's female and...well, okay. I couldn't really identify with her.

And I don't want to identify with a jerk.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

My ex hated a lot of the games I played, mostly the shooters & driving games, but when I played games like Dracula:Resurrection, Monkey Island, GK3 and TLJ, she was more than happy to get involved. She also liked to play Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon on the PS2.

So, I don't really think there are "chick games" as such - it all depends on the mentality of the person playing the game in question

Old 05-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Yeah, but do we really want to play something we observe daily in "real" life?

Okay, okay... sorry. I just couldn't resist. But I can assure you, women don't like jerks. And most of us don't like watching jerks making asses of themselves either. There are more interesting things to watch.

I agree with manhunter here, that it largely depends on the mentality of the person playing the game. I loved Still Life, Sherlock Holmes / Silver Earring, Black Mirror, Syberia, the Gabriel Knight games... but so do many male players I know.

The only thing I have observed is that most ladies are not overly fond of action sequences.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #13
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieze
The only thing I have observed is that most ladies are not overly fond of action sequences.
That's cause you're all such a bunch of pussies!

Okay, now this probably didn't sound half as funny to you as it did to stupid, childish me, but I just couldn't resist
Man, I feel like such a sexist jerk right now.

My apologies, ladies
Old 05-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
capsized.

Not fond of action sequences, direct controls and flashy 3d graphics. That's why Roberta Williams will start a new company in 2008 and continue making more of those point`n`chick games.

I recently played the second title in the Laura Bow series. While very, very fascinating, my male stupidity couldn't handle some of the puzzles. At all. So... I'll leave it to that. Maybe.

Last edited by samIamsad; 05-07-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #15
pain is love

Well, I know that a lot of girls liked Neverhood Cronicles a lot, probably because of the originality and "cuteness" of the game. I also really wan't to believe that girls/women tend to play the Sims more than men do.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #16
Banned User

Are you kidding? They have a crapshaith load of crossword and majong games out there, not to mention all those frickin barbie games! Isn't microsoft paint a chick game?

Old 05-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
That's cause you're all such a bunch of pussies!

Okay, now this probably didn't sound half as funny to you as it did to stupid, childish me, but I just couldn't resist
Man, I feel like such a sexist jerk right now.

My apologies, ladies
Ugh. With charm like that, it's a wonder some lucky lady hasn't snapped you up yet. How do you manage to stay single?

Back to the topic at hand:
"The Legend Of The Lotus Spring" is endorsed by Women Wise, "a group formed to encourage women to use and create new media with a female perspective", so I suppose it would qualify. I bought this game from a discount bin but haven't played it yet, so I don't have a personal opinion about it.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #18

Has anyone else noticed how girls always like to pick the female character in games? Funny how they hate all girls in real life, but in games they always want to play as them. It's the only girls they don't get jealous over
Old 05-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #19
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
How do you manage to stay single?
I don't shave my back anymore.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #20
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Back to the topic at hand:
"The Legend Of The Lotus Spring" is endorsed by Women Wise, "a group formed to encourage women to use and create new media with a female perspective", so I suppose it would qualify. I bought this game from a discount bin but haven't played it yet, so I don't have a personal opinion about it.

ScottMate
That qualifies as the most stultifyingly boring game I've ever played. Even Chateau D'Or had more to do than Lotus Spring! It was a lovely walk thru a garden setting, with a smattering of things to do. The navigation wasn't intuitive, it was kinda odd, as I recall, but the nodes weren't well placed. (ie - you can't get there from here). You probably should give it a try some day, but if you actually finish it, you'll be one of about 3 who did.

FGM-Lyn