You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Adventures of Willy Beamish

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #1

Default The Adventures of Willy Beamish

Does anyone remember this game? It was one of my favorite adventure games when I was younger. I don't know how it would hold up to Grim Fandango, Longest Journey, and others. It was definately one of my favorites of alltime though.

I ended up buying the PC CD version of it with all the voices in the game, but it wouldn't run on my computer. Does anyone know why? Any help would be appreciated. I don't even think I have the CD anymore, so I would have to buy it again, if that's even possible. So if anyone knows where I could buy it as well, that would also be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosh
Does anyone remember this game? It was one of my favorite adventure games when I was younger. I don't know how it would hold up to Grim Fandango, Longest Journey, and others. It was definately one of my favorites of alltime though.

I ended up buying the PC CD version of it with all the voices in the game, but it wouldn't run on my computer. Does anyone know why? Any help would be appreciated. I don't even think I have the CD anymore, so I would have to buy it again, if that's even possible. So if anyone knows where I could buy it as well, that would also be appreciated.
Hey skippy. Welcome to the forums. I loved this game, but I had it for Sega CD. Load times were long, but it was still a fun ass game. I have no clue why it wouldn't run. Can you be more specific? As for buying it, i've been trying to get my hands on a CD version of it for years, and it's near impossible to do. You'll pay a ton for it if you can find one. I found the DVD version here (didn't know a dvd version existed), but you'll be paying 20+ dollars for it. I'm a cheap bastard, so maybe to you it wont seem like much. Anyway, here's the link, it's the first one on the list. [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007Z6X86//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20[/url]

You can always try ebay and half.com as well.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Hey skippy. Welcome to the forums. I loved this game, but I had it for Sega CD. Load times were long, but it was still a fun ass game. I have no clue why it wouldn't run. Can you be more specific? As for buying it, i've been trying to get my hands on a CD version of it for years, and it's near impossible to do. You'll pay a ton for it if you can find one. I found the DVD version here (didn't know a dvd version existed), but you'll be paying 20+ dollars for it. I'm a cheap bastard, so maybe to you it wont seem like much. Anyway, here's the link, it's the first one on the list. [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007Z6X86//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20[/url]

You can always try ebay and half.com as well.
I also played it on Sega CD, which is why I wanted the CD version of the game. Because it had all the voices like the Sega CD version, but I'm sure it ran much better on a PC. The problem I had with it was that it wouldn't work with the soundcard or something. It gave me the same error for every soundcard I tried though. I guess I will never get to play it again with voices, unless I buy the Sega CD version
Old 04-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosh
I also played it on Sega CD, which is why I wanted the CD version of the game. Because it had all the voices like the Sega CD version, but I'm sure it ran much better on a PC. The problem I had with it was that it wouldn't work with the soundcard or something. It gave me the same error for every soundcard I tried though. I guess I will never get to play it again with voices, unless I buy the Sega CD version
Well the link I gave you will take you to the one that has the voices.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Banned User

Doesn't matter if you do get the game to work. You're just going to get tons of timing errors on certain sequences in the beginning, middle, and end.

Well, unless you have a 486.

I really wish someone would patch this game like that one guy did with the SCI games from Sierra.

He said it's an engine on it's own when I asked him if he could patch it.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Well, unless you have a 486.
Lucky me

Yeah, I remember this game. Really enjoyed it at the time. Aren't there any programs around which can slow down your computer? You might be able to get past the timed puzzles with one of those...
Old 04-29-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Banned User

No, those programs don't work on Sierra games. It's a timing error based on your processor's speed.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #8
Excessively diverted

I think I used to have the Adventures of Willy Beamish on those old 5¼-inch floppy disks. I never finished it though, I couldn't get past
Spoiler:
the timed sequence where the chef is cooking frogs' legs.
Does anyone else remember getting the free stickers with the game? I seem to remember having a huge row with my elder brother over them, which he, of course, won.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Even if a slowdown utility doesn't work to slow the computer down, I think DosBox does...?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #10
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
No, those programs don't work on Sierra games. It's a timing error based on your processor's speed.
You sure about that? A lot of Space Quest sites list various programs that circumvent the speed problems with Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers, and that's a Sierra game.

Woosh, go here: http://wiw.org/~jess/downloads.html

And try some of those programs listed under Patches and Utilities. Best of luck!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I haven't played Willy Beamish yet, so I don't know what type of problems that one has. But whether or not Turbo or MoSlo works with Sierra games seems to depend on the timing error. Slowdown utilities help for some of them but not all. An example is in Gabriel Knight 1 - I never could get past the benignet bug, even with a slowdown utility, even though it slowed down all the rest of the gameplay. (This was before Hendroz came out with his patch, which solves that problem. I ultimately played the game on a slow computer, anyway... which is how I'll play Willy Beamish when I get to it.)

-emily
Old 04-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I loved Willy Beamish. I played that game for hours on end when I was a kid. Sadly I had some corrupted disks, and my game would always crash after the frog race

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 04-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
Banned User

If you're willing to invest the money, you could always plop down some cash on a sega CD (ebay of course) and a copy of willy beamish.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
You sure about that? A lot of Space Quest sites list various programs that circumvent the speed problems with Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers, and that's a Sierra game.

Woosh, go here: http://wiw.org/~jess/downloads.html

And try some of those programs listed under Patches and Utilities. Best of luck!

No I'm not kidding. They don't work. Period. I've tried them, I've dealt with the headaches. About the only thing that will help you is Turbo will fix a bug in Space Quest 6. All other programs like MOSLO and CPUKiller will just make the games run slower in terms of animation and loading times, but the timed sequences will still remain too quick because they are a completely seperate problem.

The only way is to get a slower computer or to patch the games. Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and Gabriel Knight haves patches that fix these, but Willy Beamish does not, which is unfortunate.

If you want patches and information on how Sierra's bad programming makes these games incompatible with today's standards check here:
http://www.spacequest.net/misc/timerissues/
This is the guy that singlehandedly fixed a variety of Sierra games. Why he doesn't get much press and links is beyond me. You should all write him a thankyou letter. Also, the next time Evan reviews Space Quest 4, he should apply this patch first.
http://geocities.com/belzorash/

And I haven't tried DOSBox on these particular games, but it seems like it might work. But I'd say you're better off just patching the games instead.

But unless Willy Beamish runs fine in DOSBox, it's a lost cause. Too much of that game is messed up by timing. I had problems with it even playing on a Pentium 100 years ago. On that sort of computer speed you can at least get far, but near the end, the frog leg puzzle makes it impossible to finish the game because events start overlapping on eachother and lock the game up because of timing errors.

Last edited by syntheticgerbil; 04-30-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #15

All the more reason why the Dell Optiplex GXPro is one great PC to have if you're a vintage PC gamer! With the click of a keyboard press, the machine drops from a P1 120MHz to a 33MHz 486. Not to mention the onboard sound does a great job of being Soundblaster compatible, and the video cards used with this system are very compatible with older games as they have low VESA compliance.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Does anyone else remember getting the free stickers with the game? I seem to remember having a huge row with my elder brother over them, which he, of course, won.
Yeah, I remember those. In fact, I still have them in the box

Last edited by Mimus; 05-01-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #17

I remember Willy Beamish from when I was a kid too. That's why, when I saw that it was abandonware, I downloaded it so that I could play it again.

The game works perfectly fine on my 3 GHz Pentium 4, running under dosbox.

You can get instructions on how to setup DosBox here

[link edited out]

Last edited by fov; 05-02-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #18

I had it when I was little but the babysitter/bat scared me and I didn't play it again after I got to that bit I did enjoy what I played though and I tried to find it on abandonware a few months ago but couldn't get it to run.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #19
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucazn
I remember Willy Beamish from when I was a kid too. That's why, when I saw that it was abandonware, I downloaded it so that I could play it again.

The game works perfectly fine on my 3 GHz Pentium 4, running under dosbox.

You can get instructions on how to setup DosBox here

[link edited out]
Is it the version with voices?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #20
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum, Caucazn.

I appreciate that you were trying to help, but we don't allow links to abandonware on this forum. No matter how old a game is, it's still illegal to download unless the copyright holder has released it as freeware, which is not the case with Willy Beamish. This policy is described in our FAQ.