You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Top 10 AGs on G4tv

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Top 10 AGs on G4tv

I just saw a Filter episode that lists top 10 adventure games, according to the results of an online poll. This is how it went.

10. Full Throttle
9. Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (the text game)
8. Seventh Guest
7. Syberia
6. Myst
5. Leasure Suit Larry (original, not the remake)
4. Escape from Monkey Island
3. Grim Fandango
2. Ico
1. Sam & Max Hit the Road

BTW, who here's played Ico, what platforms is it available on, and what do you think about it? I'm intrigued now.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 04-05-2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I just saw a Filter episode that lists top 10 adventure games, according to the results of an online poll. This is how it went.

10. Full Throttle
9. Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (the text game)
8. Seventh Guest
7. Syberia
6. Myst
5. Leasure Suit Larry (original, not the remake)
4. Escape from Monkey Island
3. Grim Fandango
2. Ecco

BTW, who here's played Ecco, what platforms is it available on, and what do you think about it? I'm intrigued now.

Ecco the Dolphin is available on PS 2, as far as I know...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I played ECCO on Dreamcast, and it was a gorgeous game. You had to keep sending him to the surface to breathe, or your life force would drop, and that was a pain, but otherwise, it was a good game. Kinda hokey ending though.

FGM-Lyn
Old 04-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

That's not the game they were talking about. This one's about some guy with a viking helmet leading some glowing white girl around this huge booby-trapped world, or something.

As a side note, how about those words: booby-trapped? I heard of a guy who almost choked because some stripper had her boobs so far up into his nose, that he felt trapped!

Old 04-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #5

Uh, you mean ICO?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Escape from Monkey Island
Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
That's not the game they were talking about. This one's about some guy with a viking helmet leading some glowing white girl around this huge booby-trapped world, or something.

As a side note, how about those words: booby-trapped? I heard of a guy who almost choked because some stripper had her boobs so far up into his nose, that he felt trapped!

Actually he is not wearing a viking helmet - those are HIS horns. They are part of his body.

His horns are the reason why he was put in that castle. Little boys growing horns are not very popular, it may seem.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #8
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Uh, you mean ICO?
Hmmm, they spelled it wrong!

Ico it is then. So which platform is it available for, again?

Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #9
Magic Wand Waver

ICO is for PS2 and is a wonderful game!

FGM-Lyn
Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
Citizen of Bizarro World

D'Oh!

I was rooting for X-Box.

Anyway, I'll edit the name in my initial post, just so there is no more confusion...

Old 04-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the supreme irony of Sam & Max Hit the Road coming in at number one...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:24 AM   #12

Default g4 top ten

I would of like to have seen Discworld and Broken Sword on the list.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:58 AM   #13
cows are my friends...

Quote:

10. Full Throttle
8. Seventh Guest
7. Syberia
6. Myst
I guess it's good that I've played five of these. And yes, the irony of S&M being number one on this list does not escape me. How many Top 10 lists does it have to be on before someone realizes it was completely stupid to cancel it?

Anyway, out of these five there are easily some other games I would have substituted for these. Syberia and Seventh Guest would be first to go. Yes, they both are fine games and all, but not Top 10 material. Also, though I have not played it, I would assume that SoMI and MI:2 are better than EfMI. Overall the list is better than I would expect, I guess, but since I haven't played half these games I'm no authority.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:50 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

I'd like to know who made this list and how they came up with the rankings. (More specifically than "based on an online poll" I mean. Online poll of who?)

If it was based on reader feedback, or something like that, and people voted for Sam & Max thinking it would help sway LucasArts to release the sequel, it wouldn't really be a surprise that S&M came in first. Or say the poll was taken of people who'd never even played an adventure? These are the ones they're bound to have heard of... particularly Sam & Max.

I personally don't trust a top 10 list that has only one Sierra game and that's the original LSL.

-emily
Old 04-05-2005, 06:55 AM   #15
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
BTW, who here's played Ico, what platforms is it available on, and what do you think about it? I'm intrigued now.
I recently bought it for PS2 and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It is only a PS2 game, but if you have the system, you can usually find the game for about ten dollars new or used. I'm suprised more people aren't complaining that it isn't really an adventure game, as it is more akin to games like Flashback and Out Of this World than say Broken Sword, but I guess that's an argument for another thread.

If you can get it, I highly recommend it. It is extremely atmospheric and fun to play, if maybe a little confusing at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Escape from Monkey Island
Ain't that the truth.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 AM   #16
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I'd like to know who made this list and how they came up with the rankings. (More specifically than "based on an online poll" I mean. Online poll of who?)

If it was based on reader feedback, or something like that, and people voted for Sam & Max thinking it would help sway LucasArts to release the sequel, it wouldn't really be a surprise that S&M came in first. Or say the poll was taken of people who'd never even played an adventure? These are the ones they're bound to have heard of... particularly Sam & Max.

I personally don't trust a top 10 list that has only one Sierra game and that's the original LSL.

-emily
They have something called a filterator on the show's website, where they provide you with a long list of games (not all of them shown in the top 10), and you get to rank each one from 1-10. Some of the games did not make the top 10.

The only Sierra game that I personally would add to the top 10 is gabriel knight. Okay fov *Hands fov a knife* do your bidding

Firefox rules
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #17
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

-emily
FOV, I believe you have to be a member to vote - I did when I heard about it. What they do is have members of the G4TV staff choose about 20 games, and then members of the forum come and rank their favorites. I'm surprised TLJ didn't rank in the top ten. And ICO, as mentioned, isn't an Adventure, but there were others in the list that weren't either, so if this is the only one that ranked in the top ten, due to favoritism among nonadv gamers, then they didn't do too bad a job. It is also the only non-PC game in the list. And if you had to choose a nonadv game to place there, you couldn't pick a better one in my book. ICO is a lovely fantasy adv game that also has fighting, too much for my liking, but even that can't ruin this exquisite game.

FGM-Lyn
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Anyone have a link? I'd like to see the list of games people were choosing from.

I know the demographic *here* is heavily LucasArts, and I don't care about that (put your knife away, SoccerDude ). But when you have a top 10 list with four LucasArts games and only one (very early, not innovative) Sierra game (not to mention a non-adventure in the #2 spot), it doesn't seem very representative... so of course it makes me question the poll's value.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #19
pain is love

Looking at that top 10 I have to say I suspect most of the voters doesn't play adventure games too much. ICO ain't even an adventure game, Sam&MAx is probably there because of the hype, Hitchiker and 7th guest because of nostalgia, LSL 1 for God knows what...
All in all, they all are pretty much the most famous (most talked about) adventure games in the mainstream gaming public.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 04-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #20
Magic Wand Waver

here be your link, Ms Emily: go to Filter

G4TV

FGM-Lyn