You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Longest Journey

If I force myself to play this game one more minute I'll hang myself. A so- called classic getting my respect.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B100d
If I force myself to play this game one more minute I'll hang myself. A so- called classic getting my respect.
So you just don't like it at all or am I missing your point?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Im also very .

If you don't like it why would you force yourself to play it?

It's not a perfect game and some people had problems with the extensive dialogue in the game. I guess it's conceivable you might have found that aspect boring. Or maybe you diddn't like the puzzles? Could you give us more details? Or like Henke said, are we totally missing your point?

It's considered a classic for many good reasons. It does offer a wonderful story and hours and hours of P&C adventuring goodness so I'm a little confused.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

i loved the Longest Journey......one of my favorite things about adventure games is ones that have tons of dialogue......it lets you get immersed in the story and world......plus, i actually think the game was too short......guess i just really liked it......but if you can't get into it, don't force yourself to play it
Old 11-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

i loved the game, it's definalty in my top 10, i also dont see your point

Old 11-05-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I didn't necessarily get much out of TLJ beyond the epic story, but with games like this you really have to respect the fact that they are generally considered to be classic, whether you like them or not.

The same goes for the likes of Grim Fandango and Syberia, they received critical acclaim from the media and have amassed huge semi-religious followings, so therefore you have to at least respect their achievements, even if you don't necessarily like them.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:10 AM   #7
Headbanger

The Longest Journey is easily one of my favourite games.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:43 AM   #8

Like someone said, you shouldn't force your way through it if it's not up to your taste. There's plenty of other good games to choose from.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
merely human

Quote:
You hadn't even told us why you're not getting into it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-09-2004, 12:53 AM   #10
Cheeky Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to vansau Send a message via MSN to vansau Send a message via Yahoo to vansau

See, now, personally I loved TLJ... but then again, I hated the Myst games. *shrugs* To each their own, eh?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:17 PM   #11

I find The Longest Journey to be the best game I've ever played in my life, that is because it stirred my imagination, challenged my senses and teached me spirituality, if you don't have the patience to enjoy a rich and deep story, then maybe you shouldn't be playing adventure games at all
Old 11-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
merely human

Now now, cristhianfs. Just because B100d doesn't seem to be getting into TLJ does not mean he shouldn't play any other adventure. He's just admitting that this particular title may not be for him, that's all. All adventure games don't - and shouldn't - fall into a single category of 'spiritually uplifting' or other. That's the fun of it, there are different kinds - cartoony, realistic, gothic, philosophical... It's a matter of finding the ones that best suit your taste while keeping openminded for ones that may just pleasantly surprised you. If anything, at least B100d did just that, try it out for a while before deciding it's just not him.

That's what happened with me playing an RPG like Knights Of The Old Republic. At first I hated the half turnbased, half real-time combat and all those stats management, but once I got used to it the deep story pulled me in as very, very few adventure games ever can. Have you played KoTOR, btw?

Oh, and welcome to the community, cristhianfs! Stick around, good stuff happens here. 8-)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #13
The King of Hollywood

I find the dialogue in The Longest Journey to be a major nuisance, what especially gets on my nerves is when characters talk slowly and just go on about what they think about this and that. It's like every conversation ranges between 5 to 15 excruciating minutes. At least if the dialogue was funny or original, then I might accept it.

Regardless though, TLJ is one of the best adventure games of all time, though like many great games it has its faults too, like fairly bland and blurry looking 2D characters, like being able to play in 640x480 resolution and not anything better than that (remember, it's 2000) and of course the boring dialogue that just goes on and on. Everytime I replay TLJ, I skip many dialogue lines and the game actually seems a hell of alot shorter than when you listen to all dialogue throughout the game. It's a nice trick by the developers that actually lengthened the game by using tons of boring dialogue. However, people with less patience than me will not find it amusing.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #14
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGable
I find the dialogue in The Longest Journey to be a major nuisance, what especially gets on my nerves is when characters talk slowly and just go on about what they think about this and that. It's like every conversation ranges between 5 to 15 excruciating minutes. At least if the dialogue was funny or original, then I might accept it.
Although the dialogue might be long, and in some cases I can see how someone would think it boring, I appreciated how sincere the language was. The language, though perhaps not completely escaping the artificiality of much of the dialogue in many games trying to achieve any sort of realism, is at least carefully crafted. You can tell a lot of effort was put into deepening the characters and the world in which they live through the dialogue. I don't think the Longest Journey would be one of the best without it.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:24 AM   #15

This.. is an outrage! Insult TLJ? You.. you low..dirty.. Eh it's all a matter of taste ofcourse, but I really, reallly loved it. I'm having a hard time believing you seriously got into it, then again you could be one of those... purists :eek:
Old 11-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #16

If you want to see a good story play Thief: Deadly Shadows. Ok I'm sorry about so cruelly handling an adventure classic to everyone except me.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
If you want to see a good story play Thief: Deadly Shadows. Ok I'm sorry about so cruelly handling an adventure classic to everyone except me.
I don't think anyone has a problem with you not liking it - we're not all blind suckers who worship a game because it's in the adventure genre. But without knowing what you dislike about it there's really no room for intelligent discussion - just a "You're right," "You're wrong" kind of bickering.

I personally didn't think TLJ was the greatest game since sliced... err... cheese, but without knowing what you dislike about it I really have no way to comment one way or the other.

-emily

ps Which is not to suggest that everyone needs a long drawn-out reason for disliking a game, but the fact that you started a thread on it indicates that you wanted to talk about it.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #18
Codger

Quote:
I agree. Dialog sequences were tedious. Known issues with top-line video cards caused frequent, and predictable crashes. It probably is/was a great game. But there are more people than you who, me being one, who say it wasn't worth the effort.

The third time I crashed in the cafe, I sold it on ebay.

Tim
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to fishcube

TLJ is my favorite. It never crashed on my system (see below). It ran smoothly, and actually loved the storyline and ending.

I can't wait for the 2nd installment.

Sharonkay
Starting soon: Barrow Hill, Scratches
Future or restarts: TMOS, Echo, The Last Express, Broken Sword-Dragon, RTMI, Myst/Riven/Exile, Nancy Drew Crystal Skull
Finished: StillLife, Nibiru, Syberia I&II, TLJ, Black Mirror, Sanitarium, Runaway.
For trade: Schizm
---
Looking at getting a Raon Everun Note or Wibrain i1
--
HP dv9500t
Old 11-12-2004, 11:31 PM   #20

OK firstly what I didn't like about the game is the way it started it just didn't catch me but I decided to push on maybe just maybe an hour later I found myself being totally depressed reading and listening to dialogue that has nothing to do with the main quest. I must say the Cut scenes are quite good. The story didn't really capture me the going from the world of magic to the world of science thing was a good idea but it didn't use the idea to its fullest potential. The graphics is well done for its time I mean the 2D background like in Syberia looks great. There was just something about April Ryan that irritated the living crap out of me. I loved Syberia and I have to admit I haven't been quite lucky enough to get my hands on Syberia II but I cant wait to play it. Maybe I'm more into cartoony adventures like Discworld and Monkey Island I always enjoy a good laugh but still after all the hype surrounding the Longest Journey I expected a game that will be fun to play for me. Ok I'll stop bothering you about LJ and go back to playing GTA: SA and hope in my heart that when MI 5, Gabriel Knight 4 and GF 2 comes that they won't suffer the same fate that Sam and Max 2 did.