You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Skipping sequences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2004, 03:29 PM   #21
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I don't often skip cutscenes, but I regularly skip dialogue lines in adventure games. Of course, you get the odd game that won't let you... how I curse The Riddle of Master Lu...
I do the same, but really only if I can't stand the voice acting. Then I'll just turn on subtitles and read through the conversation. I don't do it with games like CMI because the voice acting rocks, (this is also why Riddle of Master Lu didn't bug me as much,) but some of the droning in TLJ had me jumping through conversations as fast as I could read them.

Spoiler:
The conversation in front of the dragon's eye is one particular offender.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM   #22
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder House
I never do, I love wathing them, I was watching my bro playing GTA San Andreas today (just bought it a few hours ago) and he just skipped every cut scene that came up, I also know of others who do this. What's the deal? :eek:
I have no idea. With the GTA games, in particular, I'd like to know WHY I'm doing what I'm doing, and also the cutscenes can sometimes give you extra information on how to pass the mission that you wouldn't get if you skipped it. I ALWAYS watch cutscenes. I consider them enjoyable rewards after the task I've just done.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:24 PM   #23
Squonk

I rarely skip cutscenes, with a couple of exceptions (after you've seen Grace walk around the outside of Schloss Ritter twelve times, you're set for life) but I am an inveterate dialogue-line-skipper. I could very well not have finished TLJ if I had needed to listen to every line of dialogue.
It depends on the voice acting, though. Some characters in TLJ had very annoying and slow voices, but in other cases I might listen to the dialogue anyway.
If the above is too radical and controversial for you, ignore it. On to the next post now.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #24

I don't skip cut scenes unless I've seen them too many times before. Some games have the same cut scene every time you start the game. I don't need to see that. And I don't need to see the same cut scene of my character being killed again and again if I mess up a puzzle.

I don't usually skip dialogue unless it's repeated. This usually only happens in conversation puzzles where you have to choose a particular branch of the conversation in order to get past the puzzle, and if you don't choose the right branch you have to start all over again.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #25
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
(this is also why Riddle of Master Lu didn't bug me as much,).
There was SO MUCH unnecessary dialogue. I got really annoyed with all the travel agents welcoming me, because they took so long to do it!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #26
all loved up

I very rarely skip cutscenes, certainly not knowingly, although while playing the Curse of Monkey Island, it was a bit of a puzzle to me as to how Guybrush ended up in Lechuck's hold, as I accidentally skipped the cutscene after Guybrush was floating into the bay... Opps....
Old 11-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #27
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
There was SO MUCH unnecessary dialogue. I got really annoyed with all the travel agents welcoming me, because they took so long to do it!
Some yeah, but I never got tired of hearing "Guten Tag, Herr Ripley!" Dunno why, but I laughed every time I heard that.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #28
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

what, even more then in TLJ?
Old 11-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #29
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
I didn't skip EVERY dialogue in TLJ. (I relished every word that came out of the Flipper's wonderful foul mouth, for example. Same with Crow, Brian Westhouse, and Zack.)

It's also been several years since I played Ripley. I should play it again. Maybe it will be more annoying to me now.

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 11-03-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:25 AM   #30
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia

I *LOVE* the dialogue in TLJ! Long dialogues are great! And the stories. They were so lovely...

I love stories. Stories are what makes us human. Stories are the children of imagination, and they keep our imagination alive in return. Without stories, we would just sit around, and still be trying to fit the little blue cube into the triangle shaped hole.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #31
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I *LOVE* the dialogue in TLJ! Long dialogues are great! And the stories. They were so lovely...

I love stories. Stories are what makes us human. Stories are the children of imagination, and they keep our imagination alive in return. Without stories, we would just sit around, and still be trying to fit the little blue cube into the triangle shaped hole.

-
Fitting the little blue cube into the triangle shaped hole is easy. First take a large heavy pan and then

stepurhan - who lives in a house so full of books (predominantly fiction) that all the rooms are a book thickness smaller on all sides.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #32
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
stepurhan - who lives in a house so full of books (predominantly fiction) that all the rooms are a book thickness smaller on all sides.
What a wonderful image that gives!

BTW, I also only skip cut scenes afterthe first few times seeing them.

FGM
Old 11-04-2004, 02:33 PM   #33
Iconoclast

Even when I absolutely loathe every word being uttered, I still force myself to sit through every scene and dialogue I haven't seen before.