You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Al Lowe Design Documents

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Mighty Bear of Brawn

Default Al Lowe Design Documents

This is probably old news to many of you, but I just discovered it and wanted to share. At Al Lowe's web site he has Design Documents for most of his adventure games he help create. I found them very helpful and facinating.

http://www.allowe.com/gamedesign/index.htm

Atomic Bear
Old 10-26-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Hi Atomic Bear! *waves frantically at fellow San Franciscan*

These design documents are great. I really enjoyed reading them.

I'm going to move this thread into the Adventure forum since Al's games are all commerical ones.

-emily
Old 10-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Mighty Bear of Brawn

Quote:
Hi Atomic Bear! *waves frantically at fellow San Franciscan*
Hi Emily, *waves frantically back to Emily*

Since I am interested in making an adventure game at some time, I am always looking for ideas on how to design the darn thing. After all I am an artist, not a programmer. And I though that the other Armature authors would find it most of use. The document could help the person who want to make there own game and needs a bit of inspiration. But it's fine here too.

I am just glad someone posted to my thread, I feel so loved.

Atomic Bear
Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Good point, I hadn't thought about it from that angle (amateur designers benefitting from reading the docs).

I wonder if today's developers create the same types of documents? (Judging by some of the messy games that are released, I'm thinking not...) I would be very interested to see how a design document from, say, The Longest Journey or Syberia is similar to / different from Al's. But I'm sure those wouldn't be released to the public because they'd reveal trade secrets or something... I remember when a discussion on design documents started over at Ken Williams' site, Ken was more or less shocked that anyone would want to read those. (That's actually how Al wound up posting his - one of the posters to Ken's board contacted Al and asked him to.) Maybe Microids or Revolution or some other company would make design documents available if we asked nicely?

-emily

ps Atomic Bear, are you in SF or just in the area?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Mighty Bear of Brawn

Emily,

I am in the East Bay, but no stranger to SF either. I do lots of volunteer work at the Cartoon Art Museum, and I was just offered a seasonal job at Macy's SF (ah the life of an artist, never doing art.) So I am in the city a lot, so much more fun then suburbia.

Atomic Bear