You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Revolution Fanatic

Default Collecting

Hey all, thought I would revive the old forum post about collecting (or near aboust)
Today I won a very nice neverhood auction http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=11047
As the game is quite rare and it's pay day.
I dunno if some will recall but I am a mad Revolution Collector, I did post a pic before but my collection has grown some more, today I got a bs2 demo disc in the post.
Anyway I'll have a new pic up soon.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I am addicted to adventure game collecting. When I was living at home my mother threw away all my original adventure game boxes because they took up too much room (I will never concede that!) and since then I've been on a crusade to collect as many original game boxes as I have. I most recently acquired mint copies of Indy Last Crusade, Space Quest 1 VGA, Manhunter: New York (I think I must be the only person in the world who actually played that game back in the day), and Full Throttle, as well as a good but not mint copy of the 1992 LucasArts Classic Adventures set.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Not a bad price for a factory sealed box, you lucky son of a gun.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I am addicted to adventure game collecting.
What level?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
Under pressure.

I've started a classic-adventure collecting spree one year ago, starting with my wish to own all the original LucasArts adventures in their original box.

On Ebay I've bought Monkey Island 1, 2, Indy FOA, DOTT, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, and The DIG.

I've also bought some non-Lucas adventures;

Space Quest 6, Police Quest SWAT collection, The Last Express, The Longest Journey, Broken Sword 2, Kyrandia 1, 2, 3, Simon the Sorceror 1, 2, and Phantasmagoria 2.

So you could say my collection has grown quite a bit in one year.

--Erwin
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Between 5 and 6, I suppose. I exhibit all the traits of 6 except for buying multiple copies of the same game. I own three copies of KQ6, but that's the only exception. Actually, it just occurred to me that they weren't talking about buying multiple copes of the same game, they were just talking about many games, in which case I'm probably an actual level 6. I can't see myself becoming a level 7 soon, if ever, just because there are so many good or pretty good adventure games without even thinking about having to get all the shitty ones.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
What level?
Between level 5 and 6. No need to get professional help yet, I'm sure.

--Erwin
Old 10-17-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Revolution Fanatic

I can't currently name every revolution Item I own, I'll have to dig them out tomorrow.
I still have a few items to buy such as playstation versions, russian versions and the gba version.
I'm between 6 & 7, I've got multiple copies of many games including ICB, I even have rev review cuttings.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #9

The only Revolution stuff I have is original copies of BS1 and BS2 (and my BS2 is still factory shrink wrapped) as well as an original jewel case copy of BASS. Stuff like jewel case copies are what fuel my collecting addiction. I look at it and become incensed that I don't own the actual box, then that's when I load up Ebay and my wallet begins to lament its fate.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #10

Wow, I'm only about a 2.5. I was a level 4 for a few months, but then I was broke.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #11
Under pressure.

Quote:
The only Revolution stuff I have is original copies of BS1 and BS2 (and my BS2 is still factory shrink wrapped) as well as an original jewel case copy of BASS. Stuff like jewel case copies are what fuel my collecting addiction. I look at it and become incensed that I don't own the actual box, then that's when I load up Ebay and my wallet begins to lament its fate.
Maybe you want to sell me one of your jewelcased KQ 6 copies?

I'm not a big KQ fan, but I heard good things about this one.

--Erwin
Old 10-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #12

All my KQ6 copies are boxed. If you want, I can sell you a 5.25" floppy version. I accidently bought two and I don't need them both It's got some price stickers on the front, but everything's there. Can't imagine you still have a 5.25 drive, but hey, I may as well mention it

And I wouldn't consider myself a King's Quest fan either, but this game was truly great. I'm serious. If you can track down a copy, get it. It's definitely worth playing. Perhaps Jane Jensen's contributions helped this one out; I don't know.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #13
Under pressure.

Quote:
All my KQ6 copies are boxed. If you want, I can sell you a 5.25" floppy version. I accidently bought two and I don't need them both It's got some price stickers on the front, but everything's there.
Hehe, no thanks. I think I'll hunt Ebay for a KQ collection box or something. I'd also prefer a talkie version of KQ6.

--Erwin
Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Hehe, no thanks. I think I'll hunt Ebay for a KQ collection box or something. I'd also prefer a talkie version of KQ6.
Good choice. The voice acting in that game was great, and the CD version comes with a really nice 50meg intro movie.

Old 10-18-2003, 01:29 AM   #15
Revolution Fanatic

Well some bits have grown and thought it about time to show my obessive nature with Revolution.
http://www.theneb.co.uk/collection.JPG
This includes:

LURE - Konami Sealed
- Virgin (+Poster)
BASS - Amiga
- PC Virgin
- 2x PC Budget (One Openedsealed)
BS1 *UK
- PC x 2
- Mac
- Playable Demo
- PlaystatioN postcard
*US
- PC x 2 (One sealed)
- MAC SEALED
BS2 *UK
-PC
-Playable Demo
*US
-PC x 2(one Sealed)
ICB - 3 x Playstation (2 Sealed)
-Strategy Guide
Total Revolution - 2 x Sealed

Plus other press cuttings.

There are still many more items to add to my collection, :p
Old 10-18-2003, 01:39 AM   #16
The Third Woman

Oh my god, I think I am on level 7, except that I have just once or twice bought multiple
copies of a game.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:18 AM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to Patvs

I sold another Roberta Williams Anthology today on Ebay for a high (new personal record!) $192.50

and three Sierra hintbooks for $40 a piece.

I love collecting, but I've recently become more of a real dealer which is nice too.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:21 AM   #18
Liver of Life

I'm not addicted to game collecting (good or bad? )

I only buy a game if it looks good, and I think it has the potential to satisfy me and give me my money's worth (>=1 hour/$)

The above inequality I use only for other games. It doesn't apply for adventure games. I'm relatively new to the adventure game scene, so I've got a bunch of games to buy - most of them rather cheap (BS1, BS2, Grim Fandango, etc.)

If I really like those, I might just become a collector
Old 10-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #19
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
I only buy a game if it looks good, and I think it has the potential to satisfy me and give me my money's worth (>=1 hour/$)
Well, collecting doesn't mean that you also must collect the bad games. It often does mean you're paying way too much money for a game, but that's another problem

--Erwin
Old 10-18-2003, 09:19 AM   #20

I'm a definite level 7. No hope for me. Got the classics and the stinkies. I like playing through the stinkies though as it's interesting to see what the developer was trying to do and failed so miserably at. Well, like may be to strong a word, but I do suffer through them.