You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Kingdom - the Far Reaches, anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 07:41 AM   #1
Head up in the clouds

Default Kingdom - the Far Reaches, anyone?

The other day I saw a game offered in the adventure games section of ebay and after a loooooooong search found some screenshots of it. Being a huge King's Quest fan (1-7) it kind of reminded me of the series and so I decided to go for it. The game was released way back in 1995 by Interplay. Now before I go and fiddle with the settings (requirements are a 386 25Mhz IBM or Compatible, CD-Rom and Soundblaster).....

Has anyone here ever heard of the game and maybe even played it - is it worth installing? (No matter what you guys say, I'll install it anyway, of course ).

Old 10-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Dragon's Lair = Don Bluth?

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 12:17 AM   #3
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I have it...
It is a kind of Interactive Movie (Dragon's Lair) and an adventure....
Imagine playing Dragon's Lair with a adventure interface....
BTW Don Bluth didn't work on this game...
I didn't know it was released for 3DO....
You might not like if you are not a fan of inteactive cartoons...
You have limited lives and you get killed if you go somewhere without the appropiate item or if you have it and don't use it in time....
Its from Rick Dyer, Co-Creator of Dragon's Lair and there is a sequel called Shadoan, I think...
Old 10-17-2003, 04:40 AM   #4
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik

At least there were supposed to be a sequel called Shadoan... But I don't know what happened to it. Anyone?

I remember bying this game at a low price when it was fairly new. It is from the era of "interactive movies" and boasts cartoon graphics which sure were pretty *before* they were scaled down to 320x200 to look rather terrible. I remember getting very confused over this game, there's no real playability, it's just a bunch of movies being played and repeated as you pick destinations on a map... Not very enjoyable in the long run. I actually sold it a few years ago - one of the very few games I've actually ended up selling...

The music is really pretty, though.

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 10-17-2003, 06:48 AM   #5
Head up in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrik
At least there were supposed to be a sequel called Shadoan... But I don't know what happened to it. Anyone?

I remember bying this game at a low price when it was fairly new. It is from the era of "interactive movies" and boasts cartoon graphics which sure were pretty *before* they were scaled down to 320x200 to look rather terrible. I remember getting very confused over this game, there's no real playability, it's just a bunch of movies being played and repeated as you pick destinations on a map... Not very enjoyable in the long run. I actually sold it a few years ago - one of the very few games I've actually ended up selling...
The music is really pretty, though.
As a matter of fact I got Shadoan too, as it is the sequel. It is an interactive game. You can play it on DVD on your tv and steer with tv controls and also on Playstation. Your description above is of Shadoan, yes? Because that is the impression I got when I stuck that game in the DVD player. Yuk! You can't even read much of the instructions. On PC it looks much nicer and you have a lot more control over it, but I haven't really played it, need to read the instructions closer and play Kingdom first.

I hope it is not because it is a crappy game, that Kingodm - the far reaches is so unknown...
Old 10-18-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik

I seem to have confused you. I was actually talking about Kingdom - The Far Reaches...

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 10-19-2003, 04:36 AM   #7
soffistical

Yeah, I have it too. What Myhrik said. The cut-scenes were breathtaking and the gameplay made me yawn! Think it's basically for younger kids!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:25 AM   #8
Head up in the clouds

thanks for your impressions people. Maybe I should've asked here BEFORE I got the game - must have read the only good review there is on that game.