You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Shadow Of The Templars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 01:04 AM   #1

Default Shadow Of The Templars

I just replayed this game for the first time in 8 years and I must say I was floored. I do not remember the game being so good. The story was incredible. This game has become my favorite adventure ever. This makes me want to play the other 2 again.

Whats everyone elses opinion?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:54 AM   #2
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Yes, a great game. I also like how it manages to stay away from the Laundry List puzzle that seems to be a staple of far too many adventure games. Eg - Here's a list of things you need to get, so go get them.

My only real complaint with the game is the wild goose chase of items. Not only do a few of them translate just a little too well, but they all seem a bit pointless in the end. If there had been a spy on George's team (the museum guy), then it'd make a bit more sense.

Ah well, that's just asking for perfection, and you're not liable to ever find that anywhere.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 09-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
lemonhead11

This is one of my favortie games as well. The only things I disliked were the lack of some sound effects and the goat puzzle. Everything else neared perfection. The characters and dialogue are probably the best I've ever seen in a game.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
pain is love

A sweeeeeeeet game inDee-Dee. And goat puzzle, definitely a mistake (but there are so few adventures which have none...).

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

I played this rather recently (end of last year) for the first time. I had been told it would be similar to the GK games so I was excited. I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be. The story seemed kind of convoluted to me and I remember being confused by the ending. But maybe it would make more sense to me if I played it again?

I have been very close to finishing BS2 for a long time. Nico, George, and that little guy are wandering around the temple. I felt betrayed by the game when I reached that *pointless* movie set so I have put it aside.

I know a lot of people like these games, but I think I had my hopes up for something that would be equal to the GK games, and for me, these weren't.

-emily
Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #6
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I have been very close to finishing BS2 for a long time. Nico, George, and that little guy are wandering around the temple. I felt betrayed by the game when I reached that *pointless* movie set so I have put it aside.
If you ask me, BS1 is a very nice game, but the 2nd part is no way that good (thought about putting crap here but changed my mind). I have finished it, but it wasn't as involving as the first one. And the puzzles, the story, and the grand finale were mediocre, at best.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-06-2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Pluss it was about half the length of the first, if that.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
guybrush_guy

i dont realy remember the story line that much wiht number one and i have never compleate number 2. i have the PS1 version and have only got half way threw. i just got a new TV (32inch) so now i can actualy see whats going on in the game

Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I'm with Emily here. I expected so much more and the game didn't get me really excited at any point. Maybe the fact that I also played it quite recently (about 2 1/2 years ago) for the first time had something to do with that but I can't really understand how this game is acclaimed by so many people. A very nice but spiritless production as far as I 'm concerned.

I managed to get to the Movie Set in the second one but that's where my patience abandoned me.
The GKs are definitely superior games allthough I haven't palyed The Sleeping Dragon yet.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 09-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #10

The story is unbeatable. Much better tha the GK games in my opinion. The second Broken Sword game was ok but it was like a completely differant game.

I suggest you devote a half an hour and beat the BS2 Emily. You are so close to the end and the puzzles are very easy. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
The story is unbeatable. Much better tha the GK games in my opinion. The second Broken Sword game was ok but it was like a completely differant game.
I guess I'm curious - what makes the stories so much better than the GK games, in your opinion?

What I like about the GK stories is the mix between mystery and personal relationships. I love to see how the characters interact, and they tend to interact on a level that relates to the mystery, which makes for a very comprehensive experience. I think that's what was missing for me in the BS games - that personal element. I did not see a relationship developing between George and Nico even though George insisted there was one. So every time the game makes me try to believe they have a personal relationship, I find myself doubting that AND getting annoyed at the game in general.

Quote:
I suggest you devote a half an hour and beat the BS2 Emily. You are so close to the end and the puzzles are very easy. Good luck.
Oh, I will eventually. It's still installed on my machine. Although by now I've forgotten so much of the story, I don't know how much of an impact the end will have on me...

emily
Old 09-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #12

Both series are great but I am not as big a fan of dark games. Its just a matter of my personal preferance. I just bouth the GK series to play them again.

In regards to BS2, I was not a big fan of the ending. It wasnt very fulfilling. Its worth kicking it on in the driveway though.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #13

BS1 = Yay
BS2 = Meh
BS3 =

Timbo
Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

While I love BS1, I don't think the story compares to GK2 or GK3 at all. Templars are nothing groundbreaking...
Old 09-07-2004, 10:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
While I love BS1, I don't think the story compares to GK2 or GK3 at all. Templars are nothing groundbreaking...
Thats funny. I thought GK1 had the best story of that series. Everyones differant I guess.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:43 AM   #16
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

It's too long ago since I've played GK1 and I was <14 at the time, so I can't comment on the story.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #17
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
It's too long ago since I've played GK1 and I was <14 at the time, so I can't comment on the story.
That reminds me... I still haven't finished the last chapter of GK2. Damn fake endings. I thought I was going to see the endgame but then - more puzzles! Oh, thanks a bunch.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
I just replayed this game for the first time in 8 years
Hey that's funny, it took me eight years to replay it too.
I would have done it earlier if my dad hadn't borowd it (together with BS2) to some one.
But after eight years he finaly had the nerves to ask it back.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Hey that's funny, it took me eight years to replay it too.
I would have done it earlier if my dad hadn't borowd it (together with BS2) to some one.
But after eight years he finaly had the nerves to ask it back.
I didnt appreciate it as much when I first played it because there was a flood of adventure games being thrown at us.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:24 PM   #20

I just finished BS3, and my word, this is a fantastic series =D

Strong points include, story, live orchestral music, graphics, nice gameplay mix, not very difficult, WRITING. Can't think of many negatives =/ Heh. All in all, a fantastic series.

Timbo