You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Step by step: how to become an excellent Point and click gamer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #1

Default Step by step: how to become an excellent Point and click gamer!

This is not me saying how to be good at adventure games. This is a question I would like to ask you.

I've always been horrible at point and click games (lack patience), but I've always loved playing them because of the stories, characters and the satisfaction of figuring out a puzzle.

I personally blame the internet for this, as it is so tempting to look at a walkthrough if I get stuck.

With the new kick starter Adventure game coming to us hopefully 2013, I want to get into training. I want to beat all the classic point and click games and become an excellent adventure gamer.

So here is my question. If someone was new to adventure games, in what order of games would you let them play to work their way up to harder games.

For example: What order would you have a newbie play these games from easiest to hard. (ignore non-adventure games like Brutal Legend and Psychonauts.)

Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Lazy Bee

I think Gemini Rue would be a good start. The puzzles weren't difficult and it's a good story wrapped up in old school graphics. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Advie.1

Ahhaa...
if its about difficulty those games are almost the same (almost!)
but you can start with anyone of those.. because simply they are all gems.

but if its about understanding the genre for maybe someone who had never played any of them i would advice Monkey island as the whole serial actually get hold of everything there in adventure games.
but i strongly advice Machinirium for both cases i mentioned

and about difficulty again and also a up to date games which are not mentioned here you should try chronicles of mystery or Art of murder or even Book of unwritten tales.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #4

All Telltale games are pretty easy, but I won't recommend to start with them, as they might harm someone's taste for adventure games (not that they are bad, just limited to few simple formulas). Full Throttle is a better choice - it's short, easy, but very engrossing and original. Monkey Islands, Broken Swords (the first two) and Machinarium are also excellent ways to start adventuring, although they are longer and harder. King's, Space and other Quest series are only for those who are ready for text interfaces, multiple deaths and dead-ends. Grim Fandango and Heavy Rain are not point and click
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
. King's, Space and other Quest series are only for those who are ready for text interfaces, multiple deaths and dead-ends. Grim Fandango and Heavy Rain are not point and click
I'd actually stay away from the classic sierra games, that might jade your taste for AG's forever, the only reason us old farts like them is because we had nothing else to play back then! But really, they are pretty bad games, with dead ends, sudden deaths, extreme pixel hunting, etc...
Besides, it really wouldn't prepare you for this one, which is a more modern game.

May I suggest TLJ ? Nice balanced game, with a cool little story
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

my choice would be machinarium, can be hard, but short and so very charming that you cant get too frustrated with it.

I was in a similar position to you when i first started (ask fien and a few other here, who tried their best to help me) it just takes time to adjust your mindset to how adventure games work.

some games have extremely lateral logic, and that is something you just have to pick up on. but the more you play the more you will find it second nature. and getting stuck will be more fun because you can trust that you will get there in the end.

I HATED monkey island when i first tried it. i just got stuck at every turn. and felt turned off by it. but after a few smaller adventure games, and a bit more patience i came back to it and now it is my second favourite adventure game (behind the longest journey)

anyway i wish you luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Homo Ludens

Interestingly, a few weeks ago the Onion's A.V. Club ran a Graphic adventure games primer (in which, by the way, they called AdventureGamers "the best site covering the genre"). They recommend Machinarium as a good starting point. It is indeed a great introduction in terms of the gameplay and the forgiving difficulty. The story and setting are unusual though, and the lack of dialogue means that puzzle hints would differ from what's typical in the genre.

Another great game I have heard recommended as a starting point for new adventure gamers is Dreamfall. It has a beautiful and deep story but it's flawed as a game. Its ending might be unsatisfactory, it's not point-and-click, it's a sequel (to a fantastic must-play game if I might add), and it's not even on your list to boot. So maybe wait on that one.

Beyond that, both Full Throttle and the first Broken Sword game (the second one too but you might as well start them in order) are great introductions to character-driven adventures. Full Throttle is easier (even though I am embarrassed that I had to look up the solution to a beautifully misleading puzzle involving a roll-up door).

After this you should probably tackle the rest of the games in the order determined by your mood and preferences (feel like sci fi? go for Gemini Rue. humor? the entire top row in your pic, probably in that order too. and when you are ready for a fantastic atmospheric adventure that is impossible to pigeonhole and which might just become the best adventure you will ever play?... uhm, I hear that the Dead Mountaineer's Hotel is pretty decent).

But, as the A.V. Club article suggests, stay away from the Sierra games... at least for the time being. It's also entirely possible that you will never develop a taste for those (I never did for example, except for the GK series).

Caveat: I know next to nothing about the console games on your list. I've played most of the first Ace Attorney game and found it repetitive and tedious. Your mileage might differ...

Last edited by TerminusEst; 03-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
Caveat: I know next to nothing about the console games on your list. I've played most of the first Ace Attorney game and found it repetitive and tedious. Your mileage might differ...
I've played all of the Ace Attorney games and they're among my favourite games of all time (especially the first and third game). Some of the funniest games ever, too.

OP, you've bought the best of the best of DS adventures, imo. Ghost Trick is by the same mind that made the Ace Attorney games (the first 4, at least), and Hotel Dusk & Last Window are great noir games.
I haven't played Another Code & Time Hollow yet, but they're both on my list of games I'd like to play and I'll probably buy them at some point in the future.

Edit: 999 was my second-favourite game I played last year (just behind To the Moon), so that's a top game as well.

Wouldn't know about a specific order, though. The games are all more than good enough to make you fall in love with the genre...

Last edited by TimovieMan; 03-15-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Easily amused

I would recommend Machinarium, as it's the only game I played on your list. I started a few of them but didn't like them. More of a Myst person myself.
Oops, just saw the Broken Sword game, it was ok. Too much dialogue.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
The Quiet One

@OP: I'd remove that copy of Broken Sword - Complete from your list as it contains the Director's Cut and Remastered editions, which are inferior to the originals IMO! I don't think they contain the originals anyway... You can get the Director's/Remastered editions on GOG, which DO contain the originals.

Also, I'd add Gabriel Knight 1-3 (from GOG too) to your list as well.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
@OP: I'd remove that copy of Broken Sword - Complete from your list as it contains the Director's Cut and Remastered editions, which are inferior to the originals IMO! I don't think they contain the originals anyway... You can get the Director's/Remastered editions on GOG, which DO contain the originals.

Also, I'd add Gabriel Knight 1-3 (from GOG too) to your list as well.
Can you even play GK2 on modern computers? I stil have the original CD's, might wanna give that a try again
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvio View Post
Can you even play GK2 on modern computers? I stil have the original CD's, might wanna give that a try again
http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Update...tallers.html#G
Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
She Wants Revenge

Those Sierra patches are great. I recently played the whole trilogy from my old CDs, even added subtitles to Beast Within. Great stuff and definitely every fan of the adventure genre should play these, but they are not that easy.

Old games in general tend to be on the harder side. Full Throttle might indeed be the friendliest of those. The Longest Journey should be a good introduction to the genre too though not terribly easy. My first playthrough was Loom, so if graphics are not an issue, there's a good old one .

From new games Memento Mori is rather good and easy, Gray Matter also.

Monkey Island 3 and Black Mirror 2+3 would be great games for starters but I'd still recommend people to play them in order and the earlier games are a bit harder.

I have my own eyes on Gemini Rue now, will start it soon, the Blackwell games were good and easy also, again excellent if old/low graphics are okay.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #14

to make a suggestion that noone will be a big fan of. but helped me personally.

the drawn casual adventure are super easy, but really get you in a decent mindset, but only go to this if you are finding the suggestions above hard.