You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Tex Murphy Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
man of low moral fiber

Default Best Tex Murphy Game?

Once again I turn to you my fellow adventuregamers to help me out with a choice of game

When I was young I played the "Under A Killing Moon" game but I was perhaps too young to fully appreciate it.

What would be the best game of the series to start with would you say?
Which one is the most playable today?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
Filmfreak

There's a great discussion about this in the Mean Streets thread.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Schättenjager

Why choose play'em all ,they're couple bucks on gog.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #4

What Gabe said. They are all unique in their own way. It's all about the stories and each one is full of noir goodness.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

After the Top 100 list I went a bought the two FMV Tex Murphys on eBay - Pandora Detective and Under a Killing Moon. They've been on my to-do lists since the 90s and it'll be awesome to finally play them.

I played Martian Memorandum and I thought that game was freaking awesome so I can't imagine how amazing the two BEST Tex Murphy games are.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
After the Top 100 list I went a bought the two FMV Tex Murphys on eBay - Pandora Detective and Under a Killing Moon. They've been on my to-do lists since the 90s and it'll be awesome to finally play them.

I played Martian Memorandum and I thought that game was freaking awesome so I can't imagine how amazing the two BEST Tex Murphy games are.
You can get some of them on Good Old Games.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_.../tex%20murphy/
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
The Quiet One

I still haven't completed them all yet, and I'm still working on Overseer on and off, but my vote would probably go to The Pandora Directive.

I just dislike that research facility section where that weird gas cloud stalks you.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

For me it's really tight between UaKM and Pandora Directive, but I think my vote would go to UaKM. I enjoyed the more cheesy and bizarre atmosphere of that game and PD has a few sequenses that are really horrible from a gameplay perspective, such as the abovementioned Area 51 facility section.

The three other games are not on the same level, but worth playing nontheless imo. But some patience is required to play Mean Streets with those looong speeder flights and arcade sections.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
I still haven't completed them all yet, and I'm still working on Overseer on and off, but my vote would probably go to The Pandora Directive.

I just dislike that research facility section where that weird gas cloud stalks you.
lol really? I never died from that living gas.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
For me it's really tight between UaKM and Pandora Directive, but I think my vote would go to UaKM. I enjoyed the more cheesy and bizarre atmosphere of that game and PD has a few sequenses that are really horrible from a gameplay perspective, such as the abovementioned Area 51 facility section.

The three other games are not on the same level, but worth playing nontheless imo. But some patience is required to play Mean Streets with those looong speeder flights and arcade sections.
For some reason I have a tendency towards Under a Killing Moon as well, but not by much. UaKM and PD are both awesome.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #11

Pandora Directive was the best - in and out , complete by itself with multiple endings.

Under the Killing Moon , the audio sounded like they were recording in a hall , so hollow echo sounding and the it was less polished than the others that followed.

In Overseer , it ended on a cliffhanger which was bs. Chris Jones continued the story a bit in a 6 part audio theater.
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/c...adio/index.php