You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #1

Default Gemini Rue remake

Gemini Rue looks like a very interesting game to me. But I have a problem with it.
I really can't stand the old-modern graphics today. In the 90' it was great, but today I expect to see Gemini Rue with the engine of Gray Matter.
What do you think?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
In an evening of July...

It'd be a different game.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Senior Automaton

Why don't you like the graphics? You should give it a try at least, don't you think it would be boring if everything looked like Gray Matter? You may grow to like it.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #4

Giving Gemini Rue a modern engine would be like trying to play a CD on a Victrola -- it defeats the purpose the creator had in mind. The graphics and the game are inseparable.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #5

I don't know, it just really bothers me. But perhaps I should give it a try.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #6

Gray Matter does not have modern graphics.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurequests View Post
Gemini Rue looks like a very interesting game to me. But I have a problem with it.
I really can't stand the old-modern graphics today. In the 90' it was great, but today I expect to see Gemini Rue with the engine of Gray Matter.
What do you think?
You realize the game was made almost entirely by like, one guy right? And that the visual style is also awesome?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #8

It is strange to me that someone looks at Gemini Rue and sees something other than completely awesome.

Last edited by rambler; 06-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #9

the thing is that those old pixely graphics really match the theme of the game.and they depict that filth of cyberpunk to its fullest.it's like No More Heroes.the graphics could be a lot newer but the creator went with a different approach because it made the overall feeling a lot better,it had more character and it was unique.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #10

Whaaat .....Its Brilliant. It has an instant nostalgic feel to it.
Its as if your playing an old favourite from 15 years ago.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #11

If Gemini Rue used an updated graphics engine, it wouldn't have gotten a tenth of the press and exposure it did. One of its major selling points was the fact that it was a 100% retro game.

Sure, once it was played its story really held up-but I don't think as many people would have been interested in that initial play through if it was 'updated'.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Senior *female* member

I liked the game a lot in spite of the ancient graphics. The story and atmosphere are both excellent and do not depend on blocky graphics.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #13

Ok ok ok... No one agrees with me
I would give it a try some day
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

No one agrees with you...? You haven't read my post.

I play a lot of older games with ancient graphics and if they're good they're good. Many new games with lovely modern graphics are mediocre at best and I don't think that Gemini's great story and atmosphere would suffer from crispy, more modern graphics. On the contrary. This Retro Trend is all very well, but it's mostly born of necessity if you ask me. No resources.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #15

I just don't understand you Fien...

In my opinion, if the game was already in modern graphics like Black Mirror 3, you wouldn't think it has to be in older graphics. I'm sure you liked it in the same way as you like it today with older graphics. But because it was out in older graphics you can't imagine the game differently.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

For the record "blocky" graphics in no way do equal "ancient technology" graphics - "blockiness" is just the simple matter of choosing a lower resolution- a choice of parameters.

The same way a video with a resolution lower than a blu-ray movie, can still have newer and more advanced technology behind generating the image than the extra-sharp looking blu-ray. Very often it's the hard disk space that matters more than quality.

In the case of Gemini Rue the resolution is a resources-based choice similar to how many employees a company hires. You have small companies and big companies, but that doesn't mean the small ones are working on outdated technology. In fact, the small ones can be more effective at many types of work, as well as easier to modernize regularly.

Last edited by Ascovel; 06-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #17

I just think this is as simple as recognizing that the game chose this as a specific artistic direction and not because they felt they can only do retro. It works.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #18

Predictabley, the nostalgia bullies are out in force on this thread.

Some people don't like wilfully archaic games: get over it!! they are entitled to their tastes and opinions.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Predictabley, the nostalgia bullies are out in force on this thread.

Some people don't like wilfully archaic games: get over it!! they are entitled to their tastes and opinions.
Nothing beats generalizing a dozen or so comments that came before you under the banner of some imaginary evil agenda, eh cbman?

If you read through the thread properly, you'd see that no one was attacking (bullying) anyone. Until your post that is.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #20

actually it was not a discussion about 2D over 3D in general but if 2D here was a better choice for the specific game or not.and the answer of nearly everyone here was based on the chemistry between the story/genre and those graphics which apparently was through the roof.
maybe it was half the reason why Joshua chose those graphics and the other half was that it was easier no one denies it can be a factor.