You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World - I don't get it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera
Default The Whispered World - I don't get it

I'm really just writing because I need encouragement.

This is the second time I've started The Whispered world, the first time I quite because of a gameplay issue, and I have to say, most AGs, especially point and click games are really intuitive, and if you've played one, you can quickly play them all, but the Whispered World could really have used a tutorial or a forth wall breaking intro sequence, because I've never struggled this much with understanding just how to play the game.

But, I digress, I'm at Bando now, I forced myself to finish the "first chapter" and shoot myself over to the island, but I have a really hard time picking it up again. The thought of going back and having to go through all those conversations is just putting me off, and making me find other things I can do instead, playing hidden object games and watching tv, while not starting a "proper" AG because I feel I have to finish this one first.

I'm just not feeling the game, I'm not interested enough I think, either in Sadwick or the environment, even though the story/plot intrigues me.

I think my two main problems are; I've never been much fond of fantasy, I've always been more of a crime/sci-fi/dark, gritty/gothic story type of person, and I have always preferred drama games over comedy.
As I've said many times before my fav games are TLJ, the Syberias and Still Life and while I've very fond the first two Broken Sword games, and enjoy them while I play them, I've always had a hard time getting back to playing them when I take a break.
At the same time I liked both Tunguskas and Lost Horizon and didn't really have any trouble finishing them even though they have a much lighter tone.

Short version:

I guess what I'm really saying is; convince me it is worth it, and help me find the will to continue.

Or, tell me its not as good as the rave reviews and the Aggie prices indicate, and that I'm not missing out on anything..

why can't I see what everyone else seems to see in this game? Is it just because I don't like fantasy?

And sorry all my posts are really long, I fail at TL;DR..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Ag1

I kinda liked it, but I played with subtitles on and skipped 90% of the spoken dialogue. I don't like it when I'm not overly interested in whats said and the voice actors speak too slowly, so I found myself skipping after I read it most of the time.

Anyway the first chapter might not be the best. After I got part way into the second chapter I then played all the way to practically the end, then got stuck on some puzzle and didn't play again for about 6 months, then finally forced myself to finish it. Its worth a play through imo, but if you're really not enjoying it after chapter 2 then maybe skip it.

Its quaint, a bit nostalgic, has a nice atmosphere and some decent puzzles (especially with Spot as he gets more abilities) and has a nice ending.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

I didn't like it much, so I'm not going to try to convince you to get back to it. One thing is certain: the formula doesn't change much as the game progresses. If you're not enjoying it now, you're probably not going to enjoy it more at a later point. If playing it is a chore, just give up — it's not worth the suffering.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #4

Not much to get. I have a lot of resentment towards that game. I wasted too much time and 30 bucks giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Hi ya

Well, me, for a change, really liked it.
It kinda gave me back that feeling of playing an old classic; i don't know why, i guess because it was relatively long, and the puzzles were decent. Every time i turned on the computer i was already whistling the tune of the main menu (wich was somehting i always did as kid, when playing games for a long time that i liked )

But, yeah, maybe it's not your cup of tea, and if you are playing it just beacuse of the good critics and because you think you should, then that doesn't help either.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I'm just not feeling the game, I'm not interested enough I think...

I've never been much fond of fantasy, I've always been more of a crime/sci-fi/dark, gritty/gothic story type of person, and I have always preferred drama games over comedy.

why can't I see what everyone else seems to see in this game?
You said it all.

I really have a hard time understanding people like you: why on earth do you HAVE to play TWW(?). If you don't like it for any reason whatsoever (and you yourself stated/stacked a huge pile of reasons for not playing TWW) - drop it and play something else. This may sound rude to you, but I believe people shouldn't do things just because someone else (even almost everyone else) does those things and enjoys them. I didn't like Syberia very much, for instance (in spite of all the rave and praise about it), but I don't find that odd - it takes all kinds to make the world .

Quote:
... convince me it is worth it, and help me find the will to continue.
To keep torturing yourself? That would be a vicious/wrong thing to do.

Quote:
Or, tell me its not as good as the rave reviews and the Aggie prices indicate, and that I'm not missing out on anything.
I won't/can't do that, I liked the game very much.

Life is too short to waste it by doing things you don't like at all. Name:  grampa.gif
Views: 522
Size:  2.4 KB

Last edited by zobraks; 03-04-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
sleeper

Well, in my opinion the hand-drawn animation are reason enough to play this game. I'm having a good time playing this just by looking at the different scenery as I go through them. Even if you're not too fond of anything fantasy, I think you should at least appreciate the fact that it looks amazing. And, face it, there aren't nearly enough new adventure games that look this good. It does remind me a lot of the Studio Ghibli-stuff, in that it's very colorful and rich in imagination.

The game tends to be a bit slow gameplay-wise (especially the conversations), but I just solve that by not playing it too much each time.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #8

I agree with zobraks. Couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Ag1

There are 2 sides to it really..sure everyone has different tastes and you might not like it no matter what, but sometimes its worth persevering with some things even if you don't initially see the appeal. For me I tried The Lost Crown a couple times and didn't really like it, even an hour or more into the game. It took me until a few hours in to actually appreciate it and it ended up one of my favourite recent adventure games and I then went on to try another Boakes game and completed that too

On the other hand, I tried to like The Longest Journey (a much loved adv game) and played multiple hours of that. It just wasn't for me tho. Unbelievable characters, dodgy puzzles, puzzles that broke immersion (there just for the sake of being a puzzle), main character breaking the fourth wall all the time, failed attempts at humour, "teen soap" vibe. I just didn't like it at all and I did play quite a substantial amount of the game.

So you might not enjoy it and waste your time, or end up liking it despite initial hours of gameplay
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Schattenjäger

^I know exactly what you mean with TLJ. Theres plenty of good things about the game, but iv tried a couple times and i just dont "feel it".
And thats just it, if the game doesnt convince you its worth playing, then dont play it.

That said, heres a couple reasons why i love the whispered world: theres just so much detail and care placed in all the dialogue responses and combination possibilities. The puzzles are "just right" in terms of difficulty, not really hard, not especially easy. It also felt very intuitive and i had no trouble learning how to play. The one thing that wasnt clear to me at first was how to make spot change forms, but that is in the manual, and once i read that i had no problem.
But by the 2nd chapter i was completely smitten with the game and wanted more and more. If youre not feeling it, the games probably not for you.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Headbanger

Well I tried the demo and had to quit after just a few minutes. The voices were among the worst I've ever heard in a game, especially the main character. His lisping got on my nerves from the start. Not my cup of tea.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #12

the game was good and the art was fantastic and brought back the proper feel of adventure games, but definitely was not amazing. it was a bit sluggish and slow paced, dialog was often overboard or boring or even obnoxious (the voices).

that's the problem so often these days. i think certain smaller developers see the nostalgia people yearn for and try to go for it too hard, and they forget some of the core gaming disciplines that made the old games great. yes, story and atmosphere and witty dialog are all important, but it still has to feel like a VIDEO GAME and has to be exciting to PLAY, not just watch or read. it has to be something that you think about when you're not playing, and you can't wait to get back. reading long dialog trees or cut scenes, or watching teh character take his time walking across the screen does not do that. you have to get the point across with absurdly few words, which is not easy.

then, in peoples' memories, those few words turn into this huge nostalgic fantasy of incredible woven stories. in reality, they weren't really, the game itself made you imagine the story and put the pieces together but it didn't really spell it out for you.

anyway point being, there are better, funner AGs out there. but whispered world was very cool in some respects.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Codger

WOW! And with all this negativity, one would wonder why this game was nominated for an AGGIE. But then Geoffrey Rush didn't win for best supporting actor. Taste is everything.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #14

I am currently playing this and although sadwick's voice makes me want to hurt myself
I pushed on through the initial hurdles.... and now enjoying it for what it is.
I like the fact ithe puzzles are relatively difficult (most of them)
as it is very hard to get a decent adventure these days with hard puzzles.
The backgrounds are... well to say the least .. awesome and its quite a lengthy experience. So if you have got through the start and turned off the voices & use subtitles you might actually start to (not love it) ... but like it.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
Schättenjager

Quote:
why can't I see what everyone else seems to see in this game? Is it just because I don't like fantasy?
I dont think it's coz you dont like fantasy it's characters&script mostly,have you played Book of Unwritten Tales,you'll see the difference?