You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Richard Cobbett does not like Hopkins FBI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Default Richard Cobbett does not like Hopkins FBI

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/11/cr...t-hopkins-fbi/

And neither do I, really. I gave up after going through the shooting section just to reach the hut and get shot despite it all.

Anyway, it's a pretty funny write-up and worth a few appalled giggles, even if you've never played it before.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGTF View Post
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/11/cr...t-hopkins-fbi/

And neither do I, really. I gave up after going through the shooting section just to reach the hut and get shot despite it all.

Anyway, it's a pretty funny write-up and worth a few appalled giggles, even if you've never played it before.

Who the Hell is Richard Cobbett and why does one of his articles merit a thread?

Are YOU Richard Cobbett drumming up a bit of traffic by any chance? Strange first post for somebody to make...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Who the Hell is Richard Cobbett and why does one of his articles merit a thread?
http://www.richardcobbett.com/whoheckrichard/
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Richard already has his own account here anyway
Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The only thing I remember about Hopkins FBI is that it had the song I Can't Control Myself by the Troggs playing at the main menu and I could never figure out how they managed to get the rights for it.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #6

Hopkins is not the best adventure game, but it's certainly not the worst. personally I enjoyed some of it and tolerated the rest. honestly though the reason I bought it wasn't because of the cheap price tag (it was less than £5 and bundled with another game I can't even remember) or even that adventure games are so rare (at the time I bought it there were a few recent releases that proved the genre still had some life in it), it was because I'd heard ridiculously over the top criticisms about it that sounded unbelievable and I wanted to see what the fuss was about
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Schattenjäger

i ~almost~ want to play it just to see if its really as bad as that review makes it sound. But then that article kindv just spoiled the whole game
Its probably for the best... the violence looks to be over the top and the plot sounds totally ridiculous.

Iv played jack orlando, a game that makes you constantly wonder whether or not theyr serious. And ultimately i liked it for how hilariously bad it is. But it didnt have senseless gore like hopkins appears to.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

So what was bad about this game again?
I tought it was a good game...at least if you have a sense of humour.

This game had one of the most crazy narrative flows I have ever witnessed.
It starts out so seriously and then....yeah....owh and the island and the whole game shifts through different genres. Supernatural, sci-fi hahaha.

Saying the game didn't take itself seriously is an understatement.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #9

Haven't played it yet, but somehow if its what Origami said, the complaints are just as annoying as the hate that duke nukem 3d degrades women and has a humor based soul.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
Richard already has his own account here anyway
(waves after spotting incoming link in webstats)

Quote:
Haven't played it yet, but somehow if its what Origami said, the complaints are just as annoying as the hate that duke nukem 3d degrades women and has a humor based soul.
Perhaps. I'm not a big fan of Duke either. Hopkins strikes me as different though, not simply because of the violence but because of how it's presented. Where Duke is a hyper-testosterone fueled parody of a character where that stuff fits, Hopkins FBI is a goofy, silly little game with all the authenticity of MST3K Presents: Detective. The misogyny and creepiness of the lovingly drawn violence is much more gratuitous and out of place. At least, I found it so. YMMV and all that.

I'd be interested to know how the original Polish version compares, actually. The translation in the English one is so ham-fisted, it's tough to tell what's meant to be a joke and what's just plain bad. I actually quite like the badness. Things like the Purgatory scene or Hopkins keeping a hand-grenade in his desk are so silly that just describing what happens in the game becomes funny. (Which obviously is the point of the article).

Unfortunately, then another mutilated half-naked woman shows up and I suddenly remember that I really hate Hopkins FBI. Grr. Damn you, obscure adventure game! Damn you!

Quote:
(it was less than £5 and bundled with another game I can't even remember)
Probably The Rage. That's the one that was bundled with my copy. I've never even taken it out of the case, never mind installed it.

Last edited by Richard; 12-14-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Must be a hell of a journalist/person when his article inspired someone to register at AGF and devote his first (and only?) post to it.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #12

Well, I do smell pretty nice. But in this case, it's a friend called Ed from the hazy world of real-life. Be gentle with him.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #13

well I'm glad he stopped by to link it, while I personally don't think Hopkins is really good or bad enough to warrant strong feelings it was an amusing read, and had I not read it I wouldn't have followed the link to the review of The You Testament which had me in a fit of laughter
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
well I'm glad he stopped by to link it, while I personally don't think Hopkins is really good or bad enough to warrant strong feelings it was an amusing read, and had I not read it I wouldn't have followed the link to the review of The You Testament which had me in a fit of laughter
Thanks ;-) Wait until I get round to doing Lula 3D.