You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure NEW Broken Sword game!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Knights Templar

Default NEW Broken Sword game!!!!!

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Vario...ws.asp?c=25881
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Hey, that's great news.
I just hope they will be better than the past two (haven't played them yet, at least not the fourth, but by reviews, I've heard bad things about it.)

Hopefully they'll go back to the roots.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 12-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #3

If it's anything like BS3 it's the best news I've heard since I started playing AGs. If it's anything like BS4 it's the worst. I might be naive but I think a lot depends on Steve Ince being involved or not. Does anyone know something about that?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #4

It really saddens me after reading gray's post that at this point BS3 and BS4 are the only BS games we can reference from and compare to the new game even though the first two were better.But if it were up to me to choose from these two I'd say BS3 with a point and click interface.

In any case this is great news.....it's been a while since the published something new,at least genuinely new.I hope they will return to those good old days of great story telling.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Well, maybe they'll go back to a more classical approach. I don't remember BS3 or BS4 doing brilliantly well in terms of sales, or even impact, so perhaps - on the back of the two remastered titles - we'll see a shift back to their older ways.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #6

Great news...
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
Well, maybe they'll go back to a more classical approach. I don't remember BS3 or BS4 doing brilliantly well in terms of sales, or even impact, so perhaps - on the back of the two remastered titles - we'll see a shift back to their older ways.
I think this is more near the mark. I reckon they'll be going back to 2D and selling the games through online distribution only.

Either way, it's promising news! I wonder what their 'non-adventure' will be?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #8

George and Nico are my favorite duo!
BS just reminds you of what an adventure game should be, especially the atmosphere of the games.
The only thing I knew from their revolution forum is that they wish to make a BS5 in 2d someday but that it's not their priority.
So, this is a little glimpse of hope for all fans...

I do hope they make a proper BS 5 game
YAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I think this is more near the mark. I reckon they'll be going back to 2D and selling the games through online distributors only.
That would be awful!(imho)
The graphics from BS3 were gorgeous and retail I think is so much more appropriate for a big name like Broken Sword.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhetfield21 View Post
It really saddens me after reading gray's post that at this point BS3 and BS4 are the only BS games we can reference from and compare to the new game even though the first two were better.But if it were up to me to choose from these two I'd say BS3 with a point and click interface.
Sorry double post but I missed this one the first time.
Personally I think BS3 by far exceeded the first two in terms of graphics and story. (crucify me if you wish)
Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #11
The Quiet One

Broken Sword isn't a big name, though. In the adventure genre, sure, but not so much in the mainstream (per se).

I think it's a wise move for an independant company like Revolution - I don't think BS3 or 4 sold all that well in retail. The sales of the Director's Cut (online only) have enabled them to make these new games. The one thing I don't like about online distribution is not having a box, manual, CD/DVD etc.

And I agree, I like the graphics in BS3 too, but I'm afraid you're in the minority for wanting newer Broken Swords in 3D.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about online distribution is not having a box, manual, CD/DVD etc.
Telltale are good at getting around that, and perhaps Revolution will offer a similar service for the PC. It'd be nice if they did
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #13

gray maybe the 3D graphics in BS3 were good great even.but having played the first two before playing 3 and having loved them which is the case for many of the other BS fans,it just doesn't really feel like BS.it's something of a spinoff.also you really can't beat hand drawn graphics in atmosphere.that's why there are so many people out there that want it to revert to 2D.

and to say that 3D graphics are more suitable to big names is kind of stupid(no offence) imo.a big name is established because of the previous installments' success,which means that if they were successful there was a reason and that reason was one of/some/all of :features,atmosphere,interface.....etc.to keep it successful you have to keep some of the things that made it that way.also you have to listen to the player's wishes because they are a big factor to how successful the next product will be.I'm not saying that you can't do something new every once in a while but if it fails(meaning the majority doesn't like it) you have to consider it very carefully next time.and seeing as the third and fourth installments were less successful than their predecessors it falls under that category.

in anyway 3D graphics isn't natural progression.if ti succeeds then ok but if not it's like the saying in computer science whatever works doesn't need fixing .and also with 3D graphics you have quite the difference in scale of the project since everything needs more work and there is less time to perfect the story and dialogues if the deadlines are to be kept.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #14

I would love to see it in 2d again! but I liked the 3d graphics too, even if not as much...
Will see...
Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
I reckon they'll be going back to 2D and selling the games through online distribution only.
That's what they should be doing. What's the point of spending money on a new 3D engine at this point? BS4 didn't look or play all that well and it got no attention whatsoever from anyone other than genre fans. Make a classic 2D adventure, release it through Steam and other digital distribution sites, port it to portable devices and console stores like Xbox Live Arcade if possible and then move onto the next project.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #16

Isn't it more likely they'll be using the 3D models that look like the 2D characters from the remastered original? I'm by no means knowledgable about this particular area, but I thought whatever technique was used there was effective at capturing the original 2D style.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #17

I had completely forgotten that BS4 existed.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #18

3D adventure games can be good, there's a few examples, but also plenty of examples where it's poorely executed. personally I just want a good story with good gameplay, 2D or 3D is fine so long as it's done well
and I hope the other adventure is the long anticipated Steel Sky sequel
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
not BS4 but BS3 did get nominated for some "Best of" awards. It also got good reviews so I'm certain it did make a successful impact.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
That would be awful!(imho)
The graphics from BS3 were gorgeous and retail I think is so much more appropriate for a big name like Broken Sword.
There's not a chance Revolution are making a 3D, retail product any time soon.

I think the new Broken Sword will be download only, available first and foremost on iOS devices, then PC/Mac, then maybe PSN/XBLA, and in 2D of course. I think that would be a smart decision for everyone involved -- for Rev and the BS fans.

A part of me will want to hold out for the PC version (assuming it comes to iOS first), but I'll have an iPad by then...tempting.