You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure the ending of Whispered World (spoilers, obviously)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #1

Default the ending of Whispered World (spoilers, obviously)

so I just finished Whispered World. while the game isn't perfect, I found only minor flaws until the ending...

so Sadwick gets a choice, break the mirror and walk through but which mirror? of course I saved the game and then made the 'right' choice, getting what I assumed would be the 'good' ending. sadly it turns out that it's the only ending. reloading the save game after watching the ending I tried to break the other mirror, expecting a 'bad' ending, only for the narrator to tell me that I changed my mind at the last second.... right
I just don't understand it. the setup is perfect, it practically demands an alternative ending here and the fact that it doesn't offer one is just beyond comprehension

also there was another thing I didn't quite get. early on in the game the earthquake causes some wires (or tubes as Sadwick calls them) to fall through the roof of his trailer and their presence scares him even more than the Asgil or anything else in the game ever do. presumably the implication is that they're forcing to acknowledge that his world isn't real which is why he tries to ignore them but it's never really explained or even hinted as to their actual symbolism. had his real world self been hooked up to life support by similar wires or something then it would have made more sense, but as it is the wires could really have been anything, a giant hand, a dragon or even a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle would have had just as much relevance

don't get me wrong though, I quite enjoyed the game, and apart from the fake choice at the end I thought the ending was very well done (the foreshadowing was impressively subtle yet noticeable which is no easy task, usually ends up going too far one way or the other) so I'd definitely recommend the game to others... although if you're reading this I hope you've already played it considering the spoilers
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
also there was another thing I didn't quite get. early on in the game the earthquake causes some wires (or tubes as Sadwick calls them) to fall through the roof of his trailer and their presence scares him even more than the Asgil or anything else in the game ever do. presumably the implication is that they're forcing to acknowledge that his world isn't real which is why he tries to ignore them but it's never really explained or even hinted as to their actual symbolism.
Despite the fact that I'm currently replaying it, my memory on this is a little rusty so I could very well be wrong here... but didn't the wires fall when something happened with the whispering stone? Or something with Shana (I think that was her name)? I didn't actually remember the shaking coming from something that wasn't explained. But again, I could very well be wrong

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Sadwick doesn’t have a choice, he never had. It was his fate to fulfill the prophecy. At the end his world is in ruins, there's nothing to go back to. Everything, hints and details (including the title!) makes sense afterwards, points to the one ending. That last look of Sadwick makes it bittersweet, for me anyway. So what do we need a “bad” ending for.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I didn't actually remember the shaking coming from something that wasn't explained. But again, I could very well be wrong
it's not so much that their falling isn't explained, more their purpose. why were they there? why wires? maybe it was some kind of symbolism that got lost in translation (or I just completely missed the point) or maybe it was just a case of "why the hell not?", it just seemed odd and something I always assumed would be explained later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Sadwick doesn’t have a choice, he never had.
true, but up until that point the game did a very good job of presenting the illusion of choice, something most linear games do (or at least need to do). but having the narrator suddenly turn around and say "you didn't want to do that" seriously breaks the immersion
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #5

I also saved the game so I could try both endings. I did the good ending first and then tried the second one. I remember being happy that there was no choice and that the ending was the same either way. It just seemed wrong somehow to go back to Sadwick's world and leave the father heartbroken so I was glad I couldn't do it, but still leaving Sadwick wasn't easy. That look on Sadwick's face was so sad and lonely that it about broke my heart. Even thinking about it now almost makes me cry. In time I will forget the story, but probably never that ending!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Juice,candy&video games:)

I loved the game, totally, but I played with long breaks... I started playing it in early August, and I finished it just now... I forgot many things, I don't remember much.. So I totally don't understand the ending. Can anybody explain it to me?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Schattenjäger

any specific parts you dont understand?

the general gist of it is: the game was set in a fantasy world created by a boy who was in a coma (sadwick). The ending credits show you how certain parts of the boys life were recreated in the fantasy world. And the ending is the boy's subconscious making the decision to face the real world and wake up.

Oh and on topic of an alternate ending: i was hoping thered be one too, but after thinking about it for a while i concluded it would just be way too sad to end a game like that. The boy would be choosing death by staying locked inside his fantasy world. Waaay too sad.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Juice,candy&video games:)

Well ending. I understand what you said, but for me it was sudden 'cause I didn't play game in 3 months. Now I'm starting to remember and now it is clear. Thanks!