You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Dream Machine (new adventure game)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak
Default The Dream Machine (new adventure game)

Sorry if this already have been posted, didn't find anything when I searched for it.

I've just red about this new adventure game, The Dream Machine in one of the big Swedish newspapers.
At a first glance, it seems like a very causal adventure game. However, the whole games enviroment is built with clay and cardboard.
It was, at least what I know, a long time since an adventure game was developed like this.

The game will be played through it's website online, which give the game a unique feature:

"In the interest of full disclosure, we have a system running discreetly in the background, that registers statistics for how many players actually solve any given puzzle in the game. If we note that we have a significant drop anywhere, we can add clues or re-think the problem entirely".

"We also have different interactions the player attempts, that we didn't think of. If enough people try to use, say, the baby oil with the apartment key, we go in and write a response for that. Our hope is that, in the end, every possible interaction will have a proper response, instead of the boring default 'That doesn't seem to work'.

More info: http://www.thedreammachine.se/

Last edited by Isak; 10-19-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Looks pretty promising. Gotta love Swedish creativity!

Just finished the first chapter. Consider me hooked.

Last edited by Mr. A. E. Hainsworth; 10-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Word.

I played the demo the other night. It wasn't large enough for me to really get a concrete feel of how engaging the story will be, but the premise does seem pretty cool.

The only thing I wasn't fond of was the way using items from your inventory was handled. Dragging the same item into the game world from the top inventory bar each time you want to try said item with something new seems like it could be done differently. Maybe an extra key to fixate an item to my cursor. This is probably just a personal preference but I think it would start to feel monotonous to me after playing for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
"In the interest of full disclosure, we have a system running discreetly in the background, that registers statistics for how many players actually solve any given puzzle in the game. If we note that we have a significant drop anywhere, we can add clues or re-think the problem entirely".

"We also have different interactions the player attempts, that we didn't think of. If enough people try to use, say, the baby oil with the apartment key, we go in and write a response for that. Our hope is that, in the end, every possible interaction will have a proper response, instead of the boring default 'That doesn't seem to work'.
This is an interesting strategy. I assume they will have a beta team of some sorts so they can test the entire game this way.