You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Old (ish) games on XP...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2004, 05:16 AM   #1
all loved up

Default Old (ish) games on XP...

Hi, I've got several games at the moment that I want to replay, and a couple I'm desperate to play for the first time, but am unsure as to whether they will work on my PC.. (And now feel quite confused, as Grim Fandango cut back to the main screen, not liking Glottis, and yet is suitable for XP... Hmmm) Anyway, would Broken Sword 1 & 2 be playable, and, most importantly, would Discworld noir work on XP? (Since that's the game I really am quite desperate to play.. and it doesn't work on any other computers in the house...)I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanks.

Last edited by adventurefan; 04-03-2004 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:53 AM   #2

Do you have SP1 installed? Have you updated your Windows? Haven't had any problems with Grim Fandango, so you should try updating everything and see if it works. Maybe there's a patch on the Lucasarts site?

Broken Sword 1 and 2 works perfectly, if you can get around some of the installation problems (for instance, too large partition to be recognized). I have meant to reinstall Discworld Noir, but haven't yet, so I don't know about that one.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Use compatibility mode when you install BS1.

I have installed BS1, BS2, and Grim on XP successfully. Haven't played Grim Fandango yet (!) but the other two played fine. (And I do Windows updates but have not installed SP1.)

-emily
Old 04-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Banned User

BS1&2 and Discworld Noir all ran perfectly on our XP machine so long as we used Win95 or Win98 Compatibility Mode to run both the install programs and the games themselves. Only problem was that with Discworld Noir, you will crash to desktop if you try to access the "Options" page from the main menu before you start the game. Once you have started the game, you can access the Options just fine.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
all loved up

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. just tried grim again and it now works (installed it in minimum mode rather than the full version).
Old 04-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
guybrush_guy

all the game you mentioned worked for me on WinXP, some other games do work on XP but it depends on your graphics card

Old 04-04-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
More slaw!!!

I bought Discworld Noir a few weeks ago and it absolutely refuses to run on any of my computers running XP, and it runs really poorly on the one running 98 (crashes constantly).,
Old 04-04-2004, 05:58 AM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
BS1&2 and Discworld Noir all ran perfectly on our XP machine so long as we used Win95 or Win98 Compatibility Mode to run both the install programs and the games themselves.
Discworld Noir is a slippery one - for me it only works if I either run it under the Administrator account in XP (with none of the compatibility options set) or I choose the "Windows NT" compatibility mode. The Win9x ones just make it crash!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Only problem was that with Discworld Noir, you will crash to desktop if you try to access the "Options" page from the main menu before you start the game. Once you have started the game, you can access the Options just fine.
You can also press F1 from the main menu and get to the options screen that way - it's only pressing the button that makes it crash. Bizarre!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I bought Discworld Noir a few weeks ago and it absolutely refuses to run on any of my computers running XP, and it runs really poorly on the one running 98 (crashes constantly).
Let us know exactly what it does on XP - maybe some Discworld Noir veteran will know how to fix it, or at least give you things to try. It does seem to be a game with a remarkable array of ways of not working!