You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Need opinion on adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #1

Default Need opinion on adventure game

Hey guys,
Ive finished TLJ and Dreamfall, and currently finished Still Life and playing the sequal.

Does anyone know a good game that has dark themes like still life, or just in general an amazing storyline.

Or games based around murder(s) (like fahrenheit and still life as i really enjoed them)
more horror typed

Thanks very much steven,

Last edited by steven0022; 07-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #2

Have you tried the Black Mirror games? Very dark, and lots of dead bodies... Also recommend Scratches, Black Dahlia, Dead Reefs and Darkness Within 1/2...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Post Mortem and Post Mortem 2 are sequells to Still Life. Then there's the (newer) Sherlock Holmes games as well as the Art of Murder games.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Thanks guys,
Ive looked at black mirror, is the storyline any good?
and what about act of murder whats the storyline like there?

Thank you
Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven0022 View Post
Thanks guys,
Ive looked at black mirror, is the storyline any good?

Thank you
Its ok, it has a nice twist. I liked the setting and the dark mood, but i found it a bit boring though.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #6

Well is there any other ones that have an amazing storyline or twists? or games that you would just reallllly recommend playing.

Thanks roper klacks ( love the name (: )
Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Post Mortem and Post Mortem 2 are sequells to Still Life.
Unless a Post Mortem 2 has been released while I wasn't looking, I think you mean that Post Mortem is the prequel to Still Life and Still Life 2.

Black Mirror is a horrible mess of horror movie cliches, wouldn't recommend it for the story. The atmosphere is nice in a mildly campy Hammer horror movie way.

If you haven't played the Gabriel Knight games, those would be your best bet. Wonderful writing and solid puzzles mostly directly related to the mystery. Otherwise Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper was surprisingly good - with some pretty inventive detective gameplay (reenacting the crimes, working out the timeline of the murders), and overall well researched.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGothic View Post
If you haven't played the Gabriel Knight games, those would be your best bet. Wonderful writing and solid puzzles mostly directly related to the mystery. Otherwise Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper was surprisingly good - with some pretty inventive detective gameplay (reenacting the crimes, working out the timeline of the murders), and overall well researched.
The same goes for SH: The Awakened, also very well told murder story with lots of horror elements. Though the story seems off at first you'll soon grow used to it and start enloying it as it's handled in a very sturdy and quite brilliant way. Especially nice if you're a lovecraft fan, and of course a Conan Doyle fan.

As far as Art(not act) of Murder goes. I wouldn't recommend it. They're enjoyable but after Still Life I couldn't imagine a bigger let down
Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #9

Art of Murder games are ok, just basic detective games, nothing really special... I like black mirror games more, especially the 1st one. I just finished it myself, a good game with a interesting story, and also lots of dead bodies... Too bad I played the second one in the series first, so I already knew about the original killer... And yeah I forgot about Sherlock Holmes Awakened, great story with horror elements and some shocking moments, definitely a must play (though Jack the Ripper is a bit of a disappointment)...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #10

How do you feel about horror survival games, with a FPS view ?

if your open to the idea, then check out a game called, Call of Cuthulu, its like a mixture of Bioshock & Resident Evil. Its really scary & has some really nice set pieces in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQ-Xqt-d0A

More standard point & click murder story games to mind, Overclocked, Memento Mori, The Mystery of the Druids, BM 1 & 2, Dead Reefs & maybe The Moment of silence.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Lazy Bee

If you're looking for a good story I think Black Dahlia is a good choice. Some really difficult puzzles though. I would also like to mention the Dark Fall games. Dark themed and spooky atmosphere.