You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Lost crown 2 sequel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #1

Default Lost crown 2 sequel

Anyone know when this is out? Its 2010 already!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #2

At the earliest 4th quarter this year.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isobel View Post
Anyone know when this is out? Its 2010 already!
Jeez... let the guy finish Lost Crown 2 first before worryign about the next game
Old 07-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Jeez... let the guy finish Lost Crown 2 first before worryign about the next game
What? lol

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
What? lol
The Original poster was asking about the sequel to Lost Crown 2
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
The Original poster was asking about the sequel to Lost Crown 2
hahahaha nice catch! Never would have noticed.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Senior *female* member

Gee, Lost Souls was released only last year! For our own sake, I hope it will be a while before we see The Last Crown.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Gee, Lost Souls was released only last year! For our own sake, I hope it will be a while before we see The Last Crown.

I'm looking forward to it - the sooner the better! Doubt it will be this year though, so soon after Lost souls.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #9

Let's hope the voice acting is better and less "acted", if you know what I mean.

Other than that, The Lost Crown is an excellent title, particularly considering it was all done by one man.

Can't wait to see what the sequel brings. Reckon it'll stay with the unique black and white art style?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaara View Post
Let's hope the voice acting is better and less "acted", if you know what I mean.

Other than that, The Lost Crown is an excellent title, particularly considering it was all done by one man.

Can't wait to see what the sequel brings. Reckon it'll stay with the unique black and white art style?
Why wouldn't it? It would be a terrible decision to colourize it.

And as for that old chestnut the voice acting: people need to stop criticizing the unique aspects of this game. Why are people so desperate to see Boakes's games homogeonized and all of the quirks ironed out?

If Jonathan read this: please don't worry about these kinds of criticisms; there are people who liked the voice acting in the game and in your games generally. But people who like things generally aren't as loud as those who don't. The day your games are like every other game on the market is the day I lose interest in them.

I don't want to see Boakes wasting his budget on hiring bog-standard but proffessional voice actors when he already has a perfectly good circle friends who do the job adequately and in their own style with their own unique character. I don't want the Lost Crown to sound like every other game, with Nigel voiced by David Gasman and Lucy by some Barbie-style voice actress like in seemngly every other game I play.

The voice acting in Lost Crown was more like stage acting than movie acting and I liked that. It suited the atmosphere and the collage presentation. It suited the atmosphere of old British tv that Boakes was trying to evoke. I liked the authentic British regional accents - they are few and far between in games. Sure the odd character voice missed the spot; show me a game where it doesn't.

Conversly, there was uproar in a thread on here a while back when Jonathan suggested in an interview that he was trying a few new things with the gameplay... Heaven forbid!

Keep all of the atmosphere and aesthetic grandeur that made Lost Crown what it was, voice acting and all... that is the key to the potential success of Last Crown.

No-one does supernatural atmosphere quite like Jonathan Boakes.

Edit: Pandaara i've just noticed that you're a new member here. I'd like to point out that my rant is aimed at the general tired and parrot-like criticism of this game's voice acting rather than specifically at your comments here.

Last edited by cbman; 08-07-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Ag1

I really liked the atmosphere in The Lost Crown. I do feel the atmospheric or "hamming up" of the lines went a bit too far sometimes tho. I don't know if it was the long pauses in the middle of sentences or what, it was just too much sometimes imo.

Anyway overall I really liked TLC. Main things for me were the atmosphere, puzzle design and the way it didn't feel linear. There were also some red herrings thrown in and things that I felt could be important for the current puzzles but really weren't. I liked how it didn't spoon feed all the info and left a lot as a mystery, or assumed the player was paying attention. Liked how some things you see early on aren't really important until much later

If it were my choice I would make the following general tweaks for the sequel however:

Make sure you can always double click out of an area. Watching Nigel walk places I've already been to for no apparent reason was a bit of a pain. Also didn't like waiting at the start of a scene for animations to finish before having control of the player
Although backtracking was handled quite well at times, there were some times when there were lots of places you could visit but a very specific thing you had to do, and sometimes there were areas in a scene you might not realise you can examine closer (like the beams upstairs in the house)
Either say the lines faster or allow people to skip dialogue with a keyboard press
Have subtitles off by default. I never bothered turning them off just in case I missed something, but being able to see what the characters were going to say before they delivered the lines didn't really help with the atmosphere.
Improve some animation, especially the walking for Nigel (looked like he was sliding rather than walking)
Don't repeat the same lines so often, either when clicking the same area or because theres not enough different dialogue for all parts of the game. This made me want to skip the dialogue far too many times. Maybe he should only speak the dialogue once, then the next times its written and doesn't interrupt the player. Maybe he would say it again with a right click
You had to use the magnifying glass on places right next to other areas that presented a repeated line by Nigel. Like in the Church trying to find one of the letters the crows took. If you looked at any other part of the scene you got the same line over and over except that specific place, and I couldn't see any visual clue about clicking there in particular. I just happened to click there after like 40 mins or more wandering around clicking everywhere
Some puzzles were easy to solve just with trial and error, especially when it came to using the ghost hunting tools. It was sometimes a bit random which tools worked. It might be better if its one inventory item and he uses each automatically if he thinks its appropriate.
The game was a bit slow to start maybe. Might be better to start in a smaller area (more linear) at the beginning

Overall tho great game