You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anyone else becoming a *dreaded* casual gamer!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Default Anyone else becoming a *dreaded* casual gamer!?!?

I find myself with less and less free time in general, and I tend to succumb to the allure of more casual titles. I feel like I shouldn't give games like The Fall Trilogy the time of day, yet I'd rather play that then invest like 20 hrs into an adventure game.

Am I sick? Or mad? Or a combination? I used to *hate* the casual gamer that I've become....

On another note, I recently finished the Hi-res remake of Another World and it was excellent. Totally worth the $9.00, although be for-warned, insanely frustrating at times.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Banned User

Try to keep the dreaded elitist arguments out of the title of the thread. Its getting annoying now.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Myst-loving person

I had never really played a casual game before, but I bought Drawn on a whim and I really liked it.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #4

There's nothing wrong with casual games. I find this whole thread quite provocative. I'm an ex-competitive gamer, still write for a gaming website and enjoy games, but I'm now also in my mid-twenties and have quite a bit more responsibilities and activities to divide my time with, so I mostly only play games on the PS3 from the PSN store and a select few adventure games.

I tie adventure games quite closely with casual gaming.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Myst-loving person

I think the thread title was meant to be joking/irony.

However, I'm puzzled as to why you would "hate" any type of gamers? I mean, I can say I hate certain types of games, like I personally dislike shooters, but I don't hate the people who play them. I just acknowledge that I don't share the same idea of fun.

Can we just acknowledge that we all like different things, and that our tastes may change over time to like things we didn't always? I don't think anyone is "sick" or "mad" for what games they enjoy.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post
He preceded to speak about how he feels bad for playing such games. I don't see any sort of humor.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #7

I use the word hate liberally. Whatever, my only solid point was that I'm disappointed with the way that the lack of ADV games has contributed to my enjoyment of casual Hidden object games...kind of.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #8

I don't have a loyalty to any particular genre of game, I'm really just interested in the kind of story that is being told.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #9

I usually play casual games with my gal since she is a big fan of puzzles and riddles and save the "real" story driven adventure games to my self.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #10

when i need a quick fix, i'll just play "Escape The Room" game
or a quick JRPG / Turn Based Strategy on my trusty DS.

but yeah i find myself having less and less time for game, usually i play a quick session before i go to sleep at night.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #11

Nothing wrong with casual games. As long as people are having fun with it, why get upset about them? There's more than enough games left to play that are 'hardcore'.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I find myself with less and less free time in general, and I tend to succumb to the allure of more casual titles. I feel like I shouldn't give games like The Fall Trilogy the time of day, yet I'd rather play that then invest like 20 hrs into an adventure game.
I actually have the same problem. I don't have much time to play games. However, instead of playing games that have a low time investment, I tend to simply be pickier about which games I play. I still play my share of RPGs, adventure games, and third-person action-adventures, but I tend to do a lot more research on them, to make extra sure I'm going to enjoy the game that will take up weeks of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
He preceded to speak about how he feels bad for playing such games. I don't see any sort of humor.
Methinks you are taking these things way too personally.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Methinks you are taking these things way too personally.
How? By talking about facts? Oh yeah. It hurts me.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

No offence kadji-kun, but you do seem to take any slights against HOG games very personally. Lets be frank, there is a lot of crap ones out there. I picked up one called Profiler from Morrisons, and apart from a very amateurish design, I finished it in less than an hour. This I don't think is acceptable and I don't think a 'casual' game needs to be short.

However, there are some good ones, like Lost in the City, and the Womens Murder Club games, all three of which I enjoy. To be fair there is crap in the conventional adventures, a prime example of which was Belief and Betrayal, like a poor mans Broken Sword.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #15

You play games to enjoy yourself, not to win an award or getting a statue erected.

I'm 49 and I play after work to relax and spend some time thinking about something else than washing, dishes, bills and emptying the kittybox.

What I play is not important to anybody but me. If it is a HOG, AG or solitaire are my worries.

Get real, guys. Or maybe get a life outside gaming.

Last edited by Mohlin; 01-28-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #16

True, in the last few months I've played point and click adventures, hidden object games, space sims, arcade sims, first person shooters, third person shooters/platforms (Prototype) and others. I've not fixed on one type of game.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
No offence kadji-kun, but you do seem to take any slights against HOG games very personally. Lets be frank, there is a lot of crap ones out there. I picked up one called Profiler from Morrisons, and apart from a very amateurish design, I finished it in less than an hour. This I don't think is acceptable and I don't think a 'casual' game needs to be short.

However, there are some good ones, like Lost in the City, and the Womens Murder Club games, all three of which I enjoy. To be fair there is crap in the conventional adventures, a prime example of which was Belief and Betrayal, like a poor mans Broken Sword.
Never liked Belief and Betrayal. I quickly uninstalled it after a couple of minutes of playing. It felt so unpolished and horrible.

Let me be frank to. Countless times I said that majority of HOG's are crap, but that doesn't make the genre any less exciting. There are also countless crap Adventure games, but you don't see me bashing the genre now do you?

I find Dire Grove was one of the better HOG games. Sure, the worst part about it was the annoying Hidden Object sequences (mainly because they were the typical unthoughtful throw a bunch of shit into a scene and look for it. Nothing like the iSpy books). The story was still pretty cool and the scenery and history were well visualized. Not as good as Barrow Hill or other Celtic mythologies, but still pretty good.

I haven't been playing much HOG or Casual games recently, but The Sultan's Labyrinth, Green Moon, Rasputin's Curse, Rhianna Ford & The Da Vinci Letter, Penny Dreadfuls: Sweeney Todd, the Fall Trilogy look pretty interesting.

One more thing. You guys have put words in my mouth. I've always said I liked Casual games. It was you guys that have said I'm over protective of HOG's, yet ignore the fact I usually don't say HOG's directly. That was never true. I just said I love Casuals.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #18

The 'throw any obects into a scene' idea to me really smacks of poor design. I've played two games that had that, Mystery in London and The Lost Ship.

However, Lost in the City and the Womens Murder Club games (I do go on about them ) seemed to have stuff in them that made sense.

Unfortunately the local Morrisons is about the only place that does these games, and there is a lot of Mysteryville and the games like Vatican City, Buckingham Palace and White House. I prefer ones that might have some semblance of a story, hence my fondness for the WMC games. Lost in the City is an unusual and quite interesting one that I recommend if you're looking for something a bit unusual.

I've been unimpressed with a few of the conventional adventures recently. Art of Murder was frankly nice looking but uninspiring, Belief and Betrayal I've given my opinion of. The only adventures I've bought recently apart from those mentioned was Steams special of the remastered Monkey Island and Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper.

I do fancy trying the Elizabeth Find MD game, suspecting that it might be a similiar idea to the WMC games.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post

However, I'm puzzled as to why you would "hate" any type of gamers? I mean, I can say I hate certain types of games, like I personally dislike shooters, but I don't hate the people who play them. I just acknowledge that I don't share the same idea of fun.

Can we just acknowledge that we all like different things, and that our tastes may change over time to like things we didn't always? I don't think anyone is "sick" or "mad" for what games they enjoy.
In an ideal world, yes. In this, world? No. Why? Pursuit of the "casuals" market has led to loved developers abandoning traditional adventures(Tex Murphy) and has led to potentially great games going DRM only on casual portals(Emerald City Confidential).
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #20
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I like to play a mix... Some HOGs, my trusty Zuma and Dynomite, and adventure games. The only reason I don't play RPGs and action is I am very very bad at them, and just don't get anywhere. I do find it easier to play an action type game on my DS. I've been playing a couple of platformers, and whilst still very bad at them, I find it easier than on a PC or PS. And I find it easier to play casual games than complicated adventures whilst travelling, especially long flights/train rides.

My mum who's never played computer games in her life saw me playing Dire Grove the other day, and now asks me to put the computer on for her before I go to work so she can play a Mystery Casefiles game. She used to watch the rest of the family playing Monkey Island etc and say she couldn't understand the game. I see her becoming a casual gamer, which is great because she's really enjoying herself.

So anyway, all games are good!