You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Classic books as games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
Myst-loving person

You are making a game of Tale of Two Cities? I am SO in! That book is on of my absolute favourites!

As for new suggestions:

One possibly good option would be The Phantom of the Opera. Yeah, there's a musical, but it's based on a novel, and the novel is in the public domain (which is pretty much why the musical even exists, as well as various other adaptations.) A game has been made relating to it before, but it would be fun to play one that was... you know... actually good. It's a fairly compelling story in my opinion, and as long as you stuck to the novel rather than other versions, there shouldn't be copyright issues. It's set in Paris, so it would connect easily.

I also think that the poetry of William Butler Yeats would be interesting to step into, especially the fairy poetry. A particularly nice example is "The Stolen Child." You would need to do some interpreting to give it sufficient plot, but I don't think it would be that difficult to do so, and it's very atmospheric. Also in public domain. I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be a high priority, but it could be fun if you ever found yourself going in an Irish/Celtic direction.

Last edited by Annacat; 01-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticadventurer View Post
When I'm reading a book, and I really get into it, I am there.
But, really. I am also immersed in books I read, but with games it goes much further. Don't you really "hurt" when killed? Don't you lean to the sides when racing? Don't you yell and scream sometimes? Books do not usually create those kind of reactions.

(Granted, these would mostly be action games, but just to get my point across.)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticadventurer View Post
Wow, we experience books completely differently. This is why I mentioned that I have an especially vivid imagination, and maybe only few people have this.

When I'm reading a book, and I really get into it, I am there. I am surrounded by the story's world and am oblivious to everything around me. I don't feel like I'm "merely reading about it."

Of course, this only happens with books that I really love. If say, I'm reading a newspaper, that's something else entirely, but when reading a story I love...I am transported there !!!

I feel sorry for you guys if you can't experience this.
Me too ! I thaught everyone who's a regular reader had that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
But, really. I am also immersed in books I read, but with games it goes much further. Don't you really "hurt" when killed? Don't you lean to the sides when racing? Don't you yell and scream sometimes? Books do not usually create those kind of reactions.

(Granted, these would mostly be action games, but just to get my point across.)
That's exactly what I do when I read a book ! I yell when one of my favorite characters is killed off. And I scream when the villain suddenly jumps up behind the protagonist, I shiver when someone is killed in a particular brutal fashion.

Of course about 90 % of what I read consists of thriller and adventure pockets so that's not too hard to imagine.

And since that's what this thread is really about: I'd love to see sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World"be developed into an AG. I know that there are allready a couple of movies and a BBC miniseries based on the book so it'll probably be a huge copyright issue but wouldn't it be great ?

Also I second the Jules Verne idea. He wrote so many great novels that nobody knows of. Like for instance "The Hunt for the Meteor" the most funny novel I've ever read. That'd make a great comedic adventure !
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post
One possibly good option would be The Phantom of the Opera.
The concern is that it's French, and the French laws are very different to, say, British and American ones. It's a grey area: in Britain and America, The Phantom of the Opera is certainly out of copyright. In these countries, a book is out of copyright 75 years after the author died. However, in many other countries it is 95 years after the author died; in which case it would not be out of copyright.
These kind of things take a lot of researching to make sure you're on the right side of the law.
But yes, Enter the Story encompasses famous literature from history, which should one day include The Phantom of the Opera. It would make a very interesting and enjoyable game.

Quote:
I also think that the poetry of William Butler Yeats would be interesting to step into, especially the fairy poetry.
At the moment (the early days) we're very concerned about anything that's not a novel- it makes it a lot more difficult to interpret, and do well. Once Enter The Story has a good, solid reputation, people will start to see the game for its own merits, and poetry such as his will certainly be included. We want games of every topic, including things like alternative poetry, so there's something for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I'd love to see sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World"be developed into an AG.
The bottom line is anything from 20th century takes a lot of fighting for, as relatives will try and claim some sort of ownership. It's very much a mine field- step in the wrong place, you get blown up But I'd really like to do some of sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work, as like you say its so fun and immersive. I will definitely look into it, as it should be included in the future.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #25
Flatulent Philanthropist

I know that The Lost World is out of copyright in the U.S.. Not sure about the UK. Some of Conan Doyle's works are not out until the 2020's, and will probably, then, be renewed.