You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 2009 VGA Awards - No Best Adventure Game Category

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #1

Default 2009 VGA Awards - No Best Adventure Game Category

Just watch the 2009 VGA Awards on Spike TV. I noticed there wasn't a category for Best Adventure game. (There was Best Action-Adventure.)

What does the AG world have to do to get on the VGAs?

What category might Heavy Rain be listed under next year?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Just watch the 2009 VGA Awards on Spike TV. I noticed there wasn't a category for Best Adventure game. (There was Best Action-Adventure.)

What does the AG world have to do to get on the VGAs?

What category might Heavy Rain be listed under next year?
Action-adventure?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 AM   #3

I wouldn't take it personally. The VGA's are like the video game equivalent of the MTV Movie Awards. The actual awards have little merit or credibility among members of the games industry.

Heavy Rain shouldn't be classed as an action-adventure because it features no dedicated fighting mechanic.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I wouldn't take it personally. The VGA's are like the video game equivalent of the MTV Movie Awards. The actual awards have little merit or credibility among members of the games industry.
Actually, the awards are the only thing that do have merit or credibility. The judges who determine the categories are selected from both notable members of the gaming press and other development veterans. Usually the winners end up being understandable, if sometimes safe, choices, whereas the MTV award show winners are chosen mostly for whatever panders to the audience and advertisers and/or what makes better television. (For instance, BioShock was chosen as best game for 2007 instead of COD:MW, which led to a confused response from the frat boy audience.)

The overly tacky category options and poorly produced and overly marketed awards show itself are usually noted as being terrible, though.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles View Post
Actually, the awards are the only thing that do have merit or credibility.
Yes, it they were on gamespot, ign, or whatever site that does the job with the games. But on some tv show? Please...
Not convinced? Ok, then answer this: What credibility would have a FPS of the year reward given to a game from adventuregamers site? Wouldn't that be a tragicomedy?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Yes, it they were on gamespot, ign, or whatever site that does the job with the games. But on some tv show? Please...
You didn't read my post. The people who determine the winners are selected members of the gaming press.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #7

So what? Who selected them? Some tv station I've never heard about before. And what gaming press exactly? A local gaming newspaper that covers only airplane simulations perhaps? Geez...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
So what? Who selected them? Some tv station I've never heard about before. And what gaming press exactly? A local gaming newspaper that covers only airplane simulations perhaps? Geez...
So you would prefer the overly bloated piece of crap of G4 to handle it? No offense, but Spike has a lot of credibility.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #9

I agree with orient, VGS are the equivalent of MTV Movie Awards, only almost exclusively reserved to extremely comercial and popular games. But thats ok, its a reflection of this industry, that is still too young and inexperienced to have something like the Oscars or the Golden Globes.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
I agree with orient, VGS are the equivalent of MTV Movie Awards, only almost exclusively reserved to extremely comercial and popular games. But thats ok, its a reflection of this industry, that is still too young and inexperienced to have something like the Oscars or the Golden Globes.
I disagree.

The votes are chosen by the public and not Judges, unlike the MTV Awards.

Plus, Adventure games that are more than decent fall under the category of Action/Adventure. Everything else just isn't receiving enough votes.

Think about it. Comparing the Adventure Genre to everything else chosen as the categories is like a rat to the size of the sun. Its not going to work.

Also, Oscars and Golden Globes are chosen by Industry members and neither judges nor the public. I absolutely agree that there needs to be awards chosen just by the industry members.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #11

No matter how they're chosen, the awards are still just an excuse to make money and promote products. It's mainstream entertainment first and foremost. The real video game awards are hosted at the DICE Summit.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #12

I watched most of the show last night and it seems to me they really only honoured console games. Some were available to play on the PC but they were mainly for the PS3 or XBox 360. Uncharted 2: Drake's Fortune is an amazing game and deserved to win. Assassin's Creed 2 was also great.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Heavy Rain shouldn't be classed as an action-adventure because it features no dedicated fighting mechanic.
Aren't those timed response sequences technically action?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Aren't those timed response sequences technically action?
Well yeah, but the entire game is filled with context-sensitive button pressing, not just the action sequences.

Also, the action sequences are far more advanced than in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, in that you're not arbitrarily timed per button press - and missing a certain number of prompts doesn't always mean you lose and have to restart.