You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Could this be why they cancelled SamnMax 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #1

Default Could this be why they cancelled SamnMax 2?

KOTOR 2 confirmed
Old 03-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Consulting Detective

You got a point...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #3

I'm not really sure that KOTOR 2 being confirmed has anything to do with Sam and Max: Freelance Police being cancelled. KOTOR2 is being worked on by a third party and Sam and Max 2 was being done in-house by LucasArts.

It's really weird that LucasArts cancelled Sam and Max 2 when it seemed so close to being finished. Some employees at LucasArts came by my college to speak a few months ago and one of the things they mentioned was that they were very proud of all the original titles that LucasArts has worked on; on a similar note, they mentioned that if you work for LucasArts, you're going to have to work on a Star Wars title at some point.

What's even more amusing is that before LucasArts' presentation, they showed a trailer for Full Throttle 2, despite the fact that it had already been cancelled by then.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #4

They said SamnMax 2 is almost finished in development stage. But it's *not* finished yet. After that there's still extensive testing. Then disc mastering/copying & packaging. Then marketing, distribution, etc. If you know how a corporate company develop & publish games from start to finish, then you know there're still *a lot* need to be done.

Although the development of SamnMax 2 is close to finish, but not so in the term of the finance part.

To make KOTOR2 as big as they said it would be, they're gonna need every cent. I mean, why put more money on a title with limited potential buyer, when you know that KOTOR2 is gonna be a bigger gold mine than the original KOTOR, right?

But I can't say I blame LucasArts. After all, it's a company, not a charity organisation. And companies are there to increase their shareholders' shares value, means going for bigger money. It's just too bad SamnMax2 was the one cancelled.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Its not becase of KOTOR 2 or any other upcoming game. It would be nice if we could so easily blame something like that though.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakane
They said SamnMax 2 is almost finished in development stage. But it's *not* finished yet. After that there's still extensive testing. Then disc mastering/copying & packaging. Then marketing, distribution, etc. If you know how a corporate company develop & publish games from start to finish, then you know there're still *a lot* need to be done.
To be sure, but the point is that development was nearly complete. Though there was plenty left to do, a lot of time and money has still been wasted. LucasArts may have had a somewhat valid financial reason for what they did, but it was still an ultimately stupid decision. It would have been a risk, but the game had created some sizable attention, and the company would have at least gained back some of its money. Profit may not have been amazing, but by cancelling this game they've punched their original fan base in the face. Hard. They're supposed to take risks. And anyway, everyone seemed to anticipate the game despite the fact that LucasArts did next to nothing in promoting it. The game looked awesome and fans loved what they saw. Okay, they had more money left to spend, but look at their game lineup. Their entire future game list consists of Star Wars games and a mediocre (looking ) third person shooter.

I don't claim to know much about video game finance issues, but I do know that LucasArts looks like crap since they canceled Sam and Max.

OK, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But I wanna play Sam and Max: Freelance Police!!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

You may say what you want, but KOTOR was and still is a great game, only i'm not giving LEC any credit for it, this is pure Bioware's work with LECs blessing. And that's all i have to say about that.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
guybrush_guy

i agree, i did enjoy the game. i have it for the PC, probibly the last lucas arts game i will ever buy. i thought everything was well thought out and planned. i'd rather play it for the X-box. better controling and speed, (i got a 9600 pro but only a 1.3ghz processor, guna get a 3200+ soon!)

Old 03-21-2004, 07:43 PM   #9
Disciplined Breakdown

They're gonna make a boat load of money off this no risk game, why couldn't they even risk financial success with Sam and Max?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:34 PM   #10
guybrush_guy

because they dont know what there doing, they also have finaicial security with this game. the know its going to sell well over a million copys. and might just port it to the nintendo gamecube or the PS2 to sell even more copys. the only security sam and max had was with it's fans of the first one, so they thought. there probibly kicking themselfs in the ass rite now. but are not going to say anything about it

Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #11
Mad Rabbit

It's a shame that so many Sam & Max fans are going to abandon their plan to boycott Lucas Arts, and purchase KOTOR 2.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #12
guybrush_guy

i'm not, veva la boycot!!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #13

I don't have a problem with buying BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment games. If the game was developed by LucasArts I wouldn't buy it though. Why bother punishing the unrelated developer?

Last edited by SerialFreak; 03-21-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #14
guybrush_guy

lucas arts pays bioware a giant lump sum and then what ever profits the game makes goes directly to LA. atleast i think that how it works. anyone know?

Old 03-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #15

It's pretty much a given that LucasArts gets money for publishing these games, (I don't know how much though.) but the developers who have made a quality product deserve recognition and deserve people buying their games. If some other developer made an awesome adventure game and LucasArts published it, would you boycott it just because you don't like the publisher?

Last edited by SerialFreak; 03-21-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:02 PM   #16
guybrush_guy

you do have a good point,
download the game and then write a check to the developer!..
i'm not serious.
if your going to download it you should buy it honestly

Old 03-21-2004, 10:06 PM   #17

Sounds like a plan.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:58 AM   #18
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Hey, didn't George Lucas tell LucasArts to start producing more adventure games a few months back?

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 03-22-2004, 04:24 AM   #19
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85
Hey, didn't George Lucas tell LucasArts to start producing more adventure games a few months back?
i doubt Lucas knows much of what's going on with his game division these days, he's to busy with post production of EP3.

What suprises me more is that Mike Stemmle didn't comment this cancellation in any way, i can understand LEC being sparse with details, but this was Mike's project, he invested much love and effort into it, and now silence, no news of/from him, not even of his departure from the company, which, i assume, would be only logical thing to do.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 AM   #20

If he decided to stick around at LucasArts, they probably told him not to make any comments.