You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Longest Journey Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Pixel Clicker

Default The Longest Journey Question

I'm having a little trouble identifying The Longest Journey. Many people have made mention that it is one of the best adventure games of all time. I have no argument against that, as I have yet to play it; however, I seem to have a bit of a problem. Apparently two games have had the title, "The Longest Journey."

Games sometimes have the same words in them, especially if they are sequels like the Myst series; someone could say, "Myst is the best puzzle adventure game of all time," and you would have to know that there are six different games in order to understand their statement.

What I would like to know, is which game people are referring to when they say that "The Longest Journey is the best game of all time." Are they speaking of the 2000 release "The Longest Journey," the 2006 release "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey," or are they referring to both games?

Now I ordered both games, but I think even suppliers from Amazon.com got confused on this point. This is what I ordered:

And this is what I got:

I did a quick search on the internet, and it looks like the two games I got are basically identical ( Gammershell.com seems to think so), though I can't really tell for sure. I did not see any box art that looked like "The Longest Journey" that I received on amazon, so I am not sure what I have. Does anyone have any ideas? The box art does have a similar white tower from the 2000 release, but that's the only clue I can see.

Any help clearing the air would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

Dreamfall : The Longest Journey is actually a sequel to The Longest Journey so they are separate but related games. The one on the left in both of your pictures looks like the original game to me. (Absolutely certain on the second example as I remember the cover art).

Your post originally triggered the spam sensors somehow which is why it didn't appear immediately by the way.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Pixel Clicker

Not sure what could have triggered that; might be my ad blocker, or my popup blocker for firefox. Must be a work related anomaly as it didn't happen at home.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit confused when I opened my mail to find a box cover that didn't match what I was expecting. I'm happy to see that the order didn't get mixed up.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #4

Yes, you received both the first game (on the left, released in 1999) and the sequel, which has the additional title Dreamfall.

Play the first one first, obviously
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Pixel Clicker

I'll download the latest patch (v1.61) and give the game a whurl. Based on all of the supreme praise this game has received, I'm quite excited.