You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island "Mega Monkey" Bundle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
iddqd

Default Mega Monkey Bundle!!!!!

I just received my Mega Monkey Bundle and there have been some pretty good improvements in terms of compatibility. Monkey Island 1 and 2 are fully playable right off the cd and don't require SCUMM at all. They both have full audio support etc. I just thought that was a cool added feature to those of us who had to rebuy this series because of scratched or lost cd's.

EDIT: Though when I copy the folder from the cd to my computer and run it I get no audio. Not even if I run it in SCUMM... Any thoughts?

Last edited by kingBLAOW; 03-19-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Lucasarts Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingBLAOW
I just received my Mega Monkey Bundle and there have been some pretty good improvements in terms of compatibility. Monkey Island 1 and 2 are fully playable right off the cd and don't require SCUMM at all. They both have full audio support etc. I just thought that was a cool added feature to those of us who had to rebuy this series because of scratched or lost cd's.

EDIT: Though when I copy the folder from the cd to my computer and run it I get no audio. Not even if I run it in SCUMM... Any thoughts?
Perhaps you get no audio because it is using redbook audio from the CD?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #3

But it's still the Monkey Island Madness disc, right?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #4
Escaped Monkey Island

I could never get sound for MI2 with the monkey madness cd without scummvm.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
I could never get sound for MI2 with the monkey madness cd without scummvm.
That's odd. I have the Monkey Madness CD (came with a LucasArts collection that also included The Dig and Full Throttle, but not Sam & Max, WAAH!) and only MI1 used CD audio. MI2 used standard MIDI.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
and only MI1 used CD audio. MI2 used standard MIDI.
yea, mi1 works great. but mi2 wouldn't work because my sound card irq on my computer is higher than mi2 would recognize (since the game was made when pc's didn't use so many irq's). or at least thats how i understood it.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
Lucasarts Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimensio
That's odd. I have the Monkey Madness CD (came with a LucasArts collection that also included The Dig and Full Throttle, but not Sam & Max, WAAH!) and only MI1 used CD audio. MI2 used standard MIDI.
Sorry, I was just referring to MI1.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
guybrush_guy

check ot see if there are any 'CDA" files on the cd. if there are. then audio is enbedid on the cd. you might have to rip the audio

Old 03-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingBLAOW
So you have/had the original Monkey Island Madness disc, and you say this one is different? Really?!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
Mad Rabbit

I've got the White Label version, which is also playable without ScumVM. It uses cd-audio for MI1 and midi for MI2.

The only real difference is that it doesn't contain the pdf manual or the MI3 demo, like the Monkey Island Madness CD does.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #11
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Another reason to use SCUMMvm with the Monkey Madness disk is to get MI2 to have the option of Mega Monkey & Normal mode. Frankly, I think I might have enjoyed MI2 better had this been an initial option, but sadly Lucasarts nixed the feature from the CD.

Kinda like burning out the Math Co-Processor from a 486dx to make a 486sx.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 03-19-2004, 04:12 PM   #12
rock star

Send a message via ICQ to myhrik Send a message via MSN to myhrik

...only it was the EASY version they nixed from the CD. For MI2, the hardest version was the "normal" one (as should it be with MI3 really, you miss some really good gags when not playing in mega-monkey mode).

"You've just gottta live with ushing the deadlies." -deadworm222
Old 03-19-2004, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
I've got the White Label version, which is also playable without ScumVM. It uses cd-audio for MI1 and midi for MI2.

The only real difference is that it doesn't contain the pdf manual or the MI3 demo, like the Monkey Island Madness CD does.
Right, but he/she said that the Mega Monkey Bundle contains full audio support for both games.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:59 PM   #14
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Right, but he/she said that the Mega Monkey Bundle contains full audio support for both games.
Well that simply isn't entirely true. For instance, on my Win Me computer, there is no audio. Yet, for some reason MI 1 works fine, both its Wav-type sounds & CD audio. Back on my Win 95 comp, it did both, but not now.

So for those of us with more current computers, SCUMMvm is still the way to go.

Sky Warrior Bob
Also, I *LIKED* the non-mega monkey in MI3. Not only was it a scant bit easier than Mega Monkey, but between the added puzzles & extra jokes, it had more replayability.

MI2, thanks to the CD edit didn't offer that, which made me enjoy the title less than I could have.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #15
iddqd

I must apologize because I think that I have misled people. First the cd was indeed the monkey madness cd. Being semi-new to this forum I didn't know that it was covered already (dumb assumption). Secondly, I was able to play both games with sound off the cd. Now I don't know if it was just because of my setup or what, but that seems to be the case.

Sorry for any confusion...
Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #16
Dr Uberman

Yeah, I had major troubles getting sound to work for MI2 aswell.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #17

Speaking of Monkey Madness, how come when you use it through ScummVM it asks for copy protection or whatever even though the Monkey Madness that came with LucasArts Archive thing didn't have any.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Well that simply isn't entirely true. For instance, on my Win Me computer, there is no audio. Yet, for some reason MI 1 works fine, both its Wav-type sounds & CD audio. Back on my Win 95 comp, it did both, but not now.
Right, MI1's sound worked even on newer systems because of the CD audio, while MI2 offered the original midis. I thought maybe it was implied that LucasArts somehow made MI2's audio compatible, but I suppose not. I prefer my floppy disk version of MI1 anyway. Go MIDIs!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #19
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Audio support is the same in the White Label version.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:33 AM   #20
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Speaking of Monkey Madness, how come when you use it through ScummVM it asks for copy protection or whatever even though the Monkey Madness that came with LucasArts Archive thing didn't have any. :)
I think its because ScummVM runs Monkey Island 2 as it was meant to be played. With the whole Mega-Monkey options thing. Of course, you *DO* know that the password isn't needed, and anything you input will start the game up, right?

Anyway, I figure Lucasarts nixed the Mega Monkey choices because it'd have been too much of a bother to eliminate the copy protection, and it was easier to code it to go directly to MI2 Mega Monkey.

Sky Warrior Bob