You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Deponia - New adventure from Daedalic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Default Deponia - New adventure from Daedalic

Deponia (Deponie, with ie, is German for "landfill") marks the upcoming adventure from Daedalic Entertainment, known for the commercial success Edna bricht aus and The Whispered World. The game will tell the romantic and funny story of a eccentric guy named Rufus and his home, a trash planet. His only wish is to leave this foul smelling home and join the upper class in the hovering cities.

First pictures:
Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Banned User

I'm in love with the art style. I'd love to hear more about this!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

Wow, it definitely looks really good
Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #4

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Daedalic adventure games. I love the look of The Whispered World and A New Beginning and to hear of another game in the same art style is awesome news. I just hope the gameplay matches the excellent graphics.

This news may mean most of the development work is finished on The Whispered World. I hope they're still working on A New Beginning.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #5

Nice graphics, terrible scenario. Couldn't they think of something else?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Please don't get me wrong. I've yet to play any game from Dedalic, but from what I've seen -- all their games strike me as very similar (offbeat character, flourished scenarios, etc.). Not that there is something wrong in this, but I'd perhaps like to see more variety. With all being said and done, I'm still eagerly waiting for A New Beginning
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
[...]from what I've seen -- all their games strike me as very similar [...]
I know what you mean, I get the same feeling when I look at pics of the Telltale games. And I happen to LOVE Sam&Max Season 1, 2.

On a more serious note, I remember how the English release of Overclocked was hacked to pieces by many gamers, although it was received well in Germany. My one fear is that the same will hapen to Edna and Whispered World. Developer Poki's humor and dark side may be too European. Whatever that is. It's not like MI or DoTT or Sam&Max at all.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Developer Poki's humor and dark side may be too European. Whatever that is. It's not like MI or DoTT or Sam&Max at all.
That is somewhat true. I couldn`t get into Sam&Max because humor there wasn`t enjoyable at all for me.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #9

I don't think that this an European vs. American issue, though. Even if Sam & Max and Strong Bad left me completely cold, I really liked - and I laughed a lot with them - Al Lowe and Josh Mandel's games, from the Larry series to Freddy Pharkas to Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, as much as I liked Steve Ince's kind of humor.

I guess that it may be an issue of Western European/American vs. Eastern European humor, though, because that Eastern humor translate somewhat awkwardly to other contexts, and games that were highly praised in Poland or Russia - like Tale of a Hero - left me almost completely bored.

Or maybe it's just about good vs. bad writing
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Or maybe it's just about good vs. bad writing
Well, I never!

I forbid you to play one of his wonderful games ever, you don't deserve Poki's writing.

PS:
Old 08-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #11

Quote:
I don't think that this an European vs. American issue, though. Even if Sam & Max and Strong Bad left me completely cold, I really liked - and I laughed a lot with them - Al Lowe and Josh Mandel's games, from the Larry series to Freddy Pharkas to Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, as much as I liked Steve Ince's kind of humor.

I guess that it may be an issue of Western European/American vs. Eastern European humor, though, because that Eastern humor translate somewhat awkwardly to other contexts, and games that were highly praised in Poland or Russia - like Tale of a Hero - left me almost completely bored.
Of course i like some american humor too but still i think that some trends do exist. And imo humor doesn`t translate well in general.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Stalker of Britain

The plot sounds pretty cliche. I've read it in books, and I think I've even seen a similar idea in a game-Septerra Core.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
The plot sounds pretty cliche. I've read it in books, and I think I've even seen a similar idea in a game-Septerra Core.
You do realize originality is seen through how the director directs the product and not the writing?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
J.H
Frak.

Sounds like final fantasy 7, always a good thing in my book. Art looks great.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
The plot sounds pretty cliche.
Every single plot is cliche. Everything has been done before. It's not the story, it's the way the story is told.

Quote:
I've read it in books,
Many if not most adventures are based on books, films, comics. The Lost Crown is a good example.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #16
Game Creator Hobbyist

Screenshots look like someone has been watching Firefly. (That's a good thing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
Nice graphics, terrible scenario. Couldn't they think of something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Every single plot is cliche. Everything has been done before. It's not the story, it's the way the story is told.
Hey! That was pretty much what I was going to reply!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #17

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, Septerra Core all the way. Of course S.C. ripped off stories from Heinlein, and Bradbury...so the trend continues.

What is NOT clichéd is the art direction, looks like a visual feast to me!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
Stalker of Britain

I understand what you guys mean, and I didn't mean to offend. I just think it would be hard to tell the story of "person on trash planet trying to get off" in new, different ways. And yes, most ideas aren't original any more, although I must say "Wall-e" used this same kind of idea and I thought put a nice twist on it to make it its own.

Septerra Core, though, didn't use the "trash planet" idea as much in the story, so it wasn't too cliched. Actually, I thought the idea for Septerra Core was very original, interesting, etc. If only the fighting wouldn't get so repetative, I wouldn't have given up on it.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Please don't get me wrong. I've yet to play any game from Dedalic, but from what I've seen -- all their games strike me as very similar (offbeat character, flourished scenarios, etc.). Not that there is something wrong in this, but I'd perhaps like to see more variety. With all being said and done, I'm still eagerly waiting for A New Beginning
I personally love the art style of Daedalic and I love what they've done so far. Also, the settings of the games are very compelling to me. Just as well, I like that each house has their own thing. If I want variety, then I play games from different developers. Autumn Moon is good at style, Telltale is good with the episodes and so on.

Besides, I don't find The Whispered World and A New Beginning to be quite similar, so I guess I don't really even completely understand your point. Would be nice if you could elaborate a bit, with those two as examples. If you don't mind.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #20

There's really nothing to elaborate, unless of course you don't want to examine my statement from a nitpicking point of view. I was merely commenting on the graphic style that, in my opinion, all Dedalic's games I've seen so far seem to sport. It' something about their color palette, their almost de-saturated backgrounds and the fact that their characters always something quirky to them.

That's all I have to say. Just an impression.