You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes

Other than "Runaway 2", my game store only seems to carry the Sherlock Holmes games in the adventure department. How would you rate those games? Any comparisons to the classics?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm not a fan, but, if I were you, I'd try out The Awakened out of the last three Frogwares' games. Anyway, if you don't mind the outdated graphics, The Case of the Serrated Scalped and the Case of the Rose Tattoo are way, way, way better both in story and gameplay, particularly the first one.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #3

I have the serrated scalpel, an old favorite. I love how some lines of inquiry are dead ends. "The Awakened" doesn't really appeal to me because of it's first person perspective. How is it handled? For example, I like it with "Gabriel Knight 3", because it's more like a free roam camera next to the on-screen character.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

While I agree that GK3 handled the 1st-3rd person combination perfectly, there is also a remastered version of The Awakened where you can switch between 1st and 3rd person at your leisure.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #5

I am a huge fan of the books as well as the Frogwares games. I can certainly recomend the Awakened as it has a very good plot a terrific interface and beautiful graphics. (my opinion) However the Sherlock Holmes game I would really like to recomend for anyone is the latest installment : Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper. As it provides us with a far more historically correct plotline then films such as the awful "From Hell" wich just used an allready twice debunked theory to spice up they're plot. Instead SH vs Jack the Ripper provides us with a much more plausible killer making the ending far more worthwhile and far, far more terrifying then From Hell ever could be. And you can also play the game in 3rd person though I do not recomend it.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #6

What's the puzzle level for these games?

Are they abstract/logic puzzles ("puzzle" puzzles), regular adventure game puzzles (use/combine items), or dialogue based (interview/investigation style)?

Or if you would compare, how close do these newer games follow the gameplay of "Serrated Scalpel"? Perhaps an impossible question, but that's my only experience of a Sherlock Holmes game.

Any demo's or gameplay video's you could show me?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #7

It's mostly dialogue based (interview/investigation style) but also regular adventure game puzzles though you do not very often have to combine two items and if with abstract/logic puzzles you mean sliders and jigsaws then yes unfortunetly there are also a few of those in the games. also there are generally a large number of puzzles where you have to compare notes and thoughts in order to proceed in the investigation

I've looked arround for demo's and gameplay video's but they're really aren't any on the internet. There is a Jack the Ripper videowalkthrough but it gives away a lot of good stuff

I could make a gameplay video myself but I don't know how exactly. So I hope someone else here does and provides you with one.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #8

I think sliders and jigsaws are what I mean. The 7th Guest and Myst style puzzles. Stuff for which you have to keep a pen and notepad on your desk.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #9

Yep, they're in the games ! Though not to many of them. (about three each game) So if you love them you'll probably be dissapointed. But if you're more of an investigation style puzzle freak like me you'll just do the same thing I do : look up a walkthrough and cheat.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Yep, they're in the games ! Though not to many of them. (about three each game) So if you love them you'll probably be dissapointed. But if you're more of an investigation style puzzle freak like me you'll just do the same thing I do : look up a walkthrough and cheat.
Sherlock Holmes Nemesis is the perfect pen and paper game in the series. It did a number on my intelligence.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #11

I'm fairly certain you wouldn't be disappointed with The Case of the Rose Tattoo.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Sherlock Holmes Nemesis is the perfect pen and paper game in the series. It did a number on my intelligence.
Yeah I forgot, but those weren't the kind of idiotic slider like puzzles for wich I look up a walkthrough. They were really good puzzles that did indeed do a number on your intelligence
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah I forgot, but those weren't the kind of idiotic slider like puzzles for wich I look up a walkthrough. They were really good puzzles that did indeed do a number on your intelligence
Yeah, its like playing Myst, except the lore is based on our world not an age. These aren't parlor puzzles. Reasons why I loved Nemesis while others hate it.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #14

I'm certainly not a Myst, slider puzzles, pen and notepad type of guy. Give me straightforward problem solving: if a guy wants a beer before he gives me the keys to his car, I'll go find a fishpole to steal a crowbar from a sleeping burglar so I can break into a closed bar.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I'm certainly not a Myst, slider puzzles, pen and notepad type of guy. Give me straightforward problem solving: if a guy wants a beer before he gives me the keys to his car, I'll go find a fishpole to steal a crowbar from a sleeping burglar so I can break into a closed bar.
Then you might very well enjoy The Awakened and Jack the Ripper though I'd advise you to stay away from Arsene Lupin (also known as Nemesis)
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #16

i agree, if you dont like "puzzles" i would not get Lupin/Nemesis. im a huge fan of all three sherlock games i would categorize them as:

The Awakened - standard adventure riddles (my favorite; get the remastered version which has a 3rd person mode. personally i prefer first person view)

Nemesis/Lupin - A LOT of puzzle based riddles (least favorite)

Jack the Ripper - mostly dialogue riddles (2nd favorite)

the awakened is the best of them, followed by jack the ripper for the history buffs
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #17

Thanks for the info! My birthday's coming up, so I'll add them to my wishlist

Old 08-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
i agree, if you dont like "puzzles" i would not get Lupin/Nemesis. im a huge fan of all three sherlock games i would categorize them as:

The Awakened - standard adventure riddles (my favorite; get the remastered version which has a 3rd person mode. personally i prefer first person view)

Nemesis/Lupin - A LOT of puzzle based riddles (least favorite)

Jack the Ripper - mostly dialogue riddles (2nd favorite)

the awakened is the best of them, followed by jack the ripper for the history buffs
I'm totally with you on the perspective thing. First person does suit these games better.

My by the way favorite is Jack the Ripper and my second favorite The Awakened. Then again I'm a history freak and have always been interested in Jack the Ripper so that explains a lot I guess.

Then again I'm also a Lovecraft fan
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
I'm totally with you on the perspective thing. First person does suit these games better.

My by the way favorite is Jack the Ripper and my second favorite The Awakened. Then again I'm a history freak and have always been interested in Jack the Ripper so that explains a lot I guess.
I'm a bit sad everyones thinks the 1st perspective one is better, as I can't play them. I get bad motion sickness. My dad had it, and just watching him play it made me feel ill. So I bought myself the 3rd person one. I haven't tried to install it yet, since I've had trouble trying to play any commercial game on this laptop except vampyre story and nancy drew.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Banned User

Quote:

Then again I'm also a Lovecraft fan
Exactly my dilema too. I study both Ancient and Cultural History. I just love the Ripper.