You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anything new out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #1

Default Anything new out there?

Hey i haven't played any adventure games in a while, anything new or upcoming soon that is good? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #2

Tales of monkey island
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 AM   #3

A must have: Ceville
Old 07-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
Caffein Queen

Return to Mysterious Island 2 - Bigfishgames.com has it for $6.95

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 AM   #5

Also, two promising sequels: Secret Files 2 and Return to Mysterious Island 2. Haven't played them yet, but they're both on my "to buy ASAP" list.

EDIT: Aww... misslilo beat me to one of them.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Memento Mori is the game I'm looking forward to the most right now.

There's also Tales of Monkey Island (as mentioned)
Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition
Still Life 2
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
J.H
Frak.

http://www.the-whispered-world.com/

say no more
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Feels like we're waiting forever :/
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Personally I don't get why people are so excited about this game. Besides its amazing graphics there's really no reason to expect anything special. I think it has been proven again and again that an adventure game with good graphics doesn't equal a good game.
Also, I don't recall ever playing a game that was originally written in a different language than english and turned out to be a classic.

I'm not saying it will suck, I truly hope it will be awesome, just don't get your hopes up because of some eye candy.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions, Memento Mori looks good. It's coming out this month right?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants84 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, Memento Mori looks good. It's coming out this month right?
I think it's been comfirmed to be released the 27th this month. Six days left in other words, can't wait!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #12

Definitely check out Secret Files 2, it will be worth it!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Personally I don't get why people are so excited about this game. Besides its amazing graphics there's really no reason to expect anything special. I think it has been proven again and again that an adventure game with good graphics doesn't equal a good game.
Also, I don't recall ever playing a game that was originally written in a different language than english and turned out to be a classic.

I'm not saying it will suck, I truly hope it will be awesome, just don't get your hopes up because of some eye candy.
Well how else can we tell adventure games apart before release? They all have roughly the same type of gameplay so basically we'd have to play it to find out about the story, dialogue, etc. In an adventure game the graphics and setting, especially the backgrounds are a huge contributing factor to me. And that game looks amazing.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Well how else can we tell adventure games apart before release? They all have roughly the same type of gameplay so basically we'd have to play it to find out about the story, dialogue, etc. In an adventure game the graphics and setting, especially the backgrounds are a huge contributing factor to me. And that game looks amazing.

Well, personally I get excited about games when they are made by companies or game designers I trust.
I knew for example Telltale wouldn't disappoint with tales of monkey island, I liked very much the last two games by house of tales so I think that justifies my excitement for their next project, Jane Jensen will probably do a pretty good job if she ever manages to release a new game, Ragnar Tornquist also.

For whispered world, like I said, apart from the graphics there isn't much to be excited about. Personally I completely disagree that "In an adventure game the graphics and setting, especially the backgrounds are a huge contributing factor". While I find them important and can really help to set the atmosphere for a game if they are well designed they don't help a bad game to get any better. A recent example is Vampire story which had excellent hand drawn backgrounds but failed in much more important aspects like writing and humor and I uninstalled it before I finished because graphics alone could keep my interest.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #15

Anything else interesting coming out soon?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #16

http://www.machinarium.com/

http://www.book-of-unwritten-tales.com/

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,852/

The rest you'll just have to look on AG.com. Since you found it into this site I'm sure you'll be able to find the games that interest you.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

All I can say is play "The Lost Crown."

I got Diabolik few days back. Installed but haven't played much.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Well, personally I get excited about games when they are made by companies or game designers I trust.
I knew for example Telltale wouldn't disappoint with tales of monkey island, I liked very much the last two games by house of tales so I think that justifies my excitement for their next project, Jane Jensen will probably do a pretty good job if she ever manages to release a new game, Ragnar Tornquist also.

For whispered world, like I said, apart from the graphics there isn't much to be excited about. Personally I completely disagree that "In an adventure game the graphics and setting, especially the backgrounds are a huge contributing factor". While I find them important and can really help to set the atmosphere for a game if they are well designed they don't help a bad game to get any better. A recent example is Vampire story which had excellent hand drawn backgrounds but failed in much more important aspects like writing and humor and I uninstalled it before I finished because graphics alone could keep my interest.
Well, it's from the developers of Edna bricht aus, so I trust them quite a bit.
And german previews sounded very promising, also regarding gameplay. It's more aimed at old adventure fans then at a casual audience.
So, puzzles should be a bit more challenging.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Well, it's from the developers of Edna bricht aus, so I trust them quite a bit.
And german previews sounded very promising, also regarding gameplay. It's more aimed at old adventure fans then at a casual audience.
So, puzzles should be a bit more challenging.

Let's hope you're right.

Seems like you german people have an advantage here though since it's developed in your language. These games almost always lose a lot of their quality and charm in the translation.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 AM   #20

Keregioz, have you watched the trailer of The Whispered World? The story and presentation seem absolutely fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTv8bG8WEto

No way of knowing whether it'll be good or bad until it's released, but so far there's not a lot of things dragging my expectations down.