You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #1

Default Downfall

Has anyone else played this game? I believe it is the first one released by Harvester Games. I'm currently playing it and it's pretty freakin' sweet, especially if you like horror-themed adventures that are made for adult players, with lots of gore and cuss words, and a story that might even spook Stephen King.

The game is obviously made by a small group of people by an independent publisher. I say "obviously" because there are no fancy cutscenes, no voice acting, the animation isn't so fluid - you know, there's not all that flavoring that you'd expect from a high-budget commerical game. But none of that stuff actually makes the adventure game; it might improve some on an already good game, but that's it.

Anyway, I don't want to write a review for the game. I'm bad at writing reviews. I just wanted to see if anyone else was playing it and perhaps share some experiences with it. The game is like only ten dollars, so no one is risking much. I say it's worth it. I think most people will like it because it stays true to the basic formula of the adventure game and it's crazy as fu- errr... I mean fudge. Crazy as fudge. There's even a part where you have to cut open a cat... oh, and take the brain out of a dead guy! And I haven't even finished playing the game yet!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #2

I actually just downloaded the demo. I had a few issues getting the game to run (had to mess around with some compatibility options) and it still freezes when I go to the save/load screens so I've only managed to walk around the bedroom so far, but it seems cool.

I noticed a few grammatical errors in the dialogue and I haven't played nearly enough to judge if the humour is appropriate for this type of game, but I look forward to playing more...if I can get it to work
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

It's a decent game but I'm not sure if the $10 price tag is justified. There are far more polished games made with AGS out there for free, and the games made with AGS that have charged money like David Gilbert's stuff or The Adventures of Fatman, have been of a far higher quality. That being said, if you're really desperate for an old school 2D horror game, you might be able to get a few hours of enjoyment out of it. But even then I'd probably just recommend downloading a free AGS horror game instead like a Ben Jordan or 5 Days a Stranger.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #4

i actually wanted to get it because it reminded me sorta of "i have no mouth..." but as usual D2D doesnt work for me and so i guess i have to pass for now.

let us know how many hours of gameplay you got out of it.

and samnmax, ill check out those free games you mentioned as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
It's a decent game but I'm not sure if the $10 price tag is justified. There are far more polished games made with AGS out there for free, and the games made with AGS that have charged money like David Gilbert's stuff or The Adventures of Fatman, have been of a far higher quality. That being said, if you're really desperate for an old school 2D horror game, you might be able to get a few hours of enjoyment out of it. But even then I'd probably just recommend downloading a free AGS horror game instead like a Ben Jordan or 5 Days a Stranger.

People who make free games are not attempting to grow any, most likely they're just doing it as a side hobby. When you support these smaller game makers with funds, you're not only getting the game but it can also be an investment; the support not only gives greater incentive but also the financial means to make bigger and better games in the future. At least, that's the way I see it.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
J.H
Frak.

The game is great, very original. Voice acting would have made it so much better though. A majority of the game was made in a mental hospital as well, makes sense lol.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #7

i posted a hint request in the hint forum. help please
Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
A majority of the game was made in a mental hospital as well, makes sense lol.
Is that a spoiler? As far as I know the game takes place mainly inside a hotel. Oh, darn you! Ah, it makes sense now.

One thing I don't like is how a lot of the game is black and white. It worked for The Lost Crown, but here it just makes things seem unfinished. I would have liked to see more color used in this game.

THe gameplay and story is awesome though, and so far every inventory puzzle has been logical. You'll be rewarded faster for using your head rather than guessing at random to see what works. If this game could have afforded all the perks that commercial games get, no doubt everybody would be into this one.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
J.H
Frak.

Lol no don't worry that's not a spoiler, it's true the creator said he used to work at one at night and programmed some of the game whilst on breaks on the AGS forum.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
i actually wanted to get it because it reminded me sorta of "i have no mouth..." but as usual D2D doesnt work for me and so i guess i have to pass for now.
Assuming you mean Direct3D, you should be able to choose between D3D and DirectDraw in the setup.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Assuming you mean Direct3D, you should be able to choose between D3D and DirectDraw in the setup.
no actually i meant www.direct2drive.com hehe

but my friend gifted it to me so now i have it anyway. seems to be pretty decent if youre into that sort of stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Lol no don't worry that's not a spoiler, it's true the creator said he used to work at one at night and programmed some of the game whilst on breaks on the AGS forum.
Oh, I see, I thought you meant it took place inside a mental hospital; as if the whole hotel scenery was some sort of schizophrenic hallucination and the whole time the character was actually some patient wondering around some mental hospital. LMAO. Hey, that would be a good twist though.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #13

I've been playing this for a few hours now, and.... wow, how come all the best adventure games are made by indies?

Kind of reminds me of Dreamweb. So far, it's been a memorable experience.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzler View Post
Oh, I see, I thought you meant it took place inside a mental hospital; as if the whole hotel scenery was some sort of schizophrenic hallucination and the whole time the character was actually some patient wondering around some mental hospital. LMAO. Hey, that would be a good twist though.
HAHAHA! I just finished the game and, ironically, what I thought you meant isn't too far off from what actually happens.

An awesome game. Remiguisz Michalski has amazing talent.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #15

I finished it too. Pretty good stuff, I look forward to getting more games from the same team. The UI was a bit annoying at times, and there were a few occasions where I really didn't know what the game wanted me to do next, but the story and atmosphere more than made up for it.

Spoiler:
Anyone know what would happen in the end if the player shot Agnes as she saved him from the grave?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #16

Default Downfall Interview

I thought I'd post a quick heads-up for those interested in the game (I know I am!), we just published our interview with Downfall developer Remigiusz Michalski over at our blog.

He was so kind as to allow us to put up some exclusive, comparative pieces of artwork from the game's development, so there's quite a few of those available with the interview as well. At least for those interested in developing their own games, it's quite intriguing to see how a piece of concept art eventually becomes a full-fledged in-game background

Last edited by Mortis; 06-07-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Doh, hyperlink was off by a day
Old 11-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #17

@puzzler:
Spoiler:
You should've tagged your posts with the spoiler tag. It took some of the fun out of it for me reading your second post before I had beat the game.

Regarding the first question:
Spoiler:
If you kill her, her dismembered ghost shows up to help you through the lever puzzle. There is also a different scene after the credits.