You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Manhunter games...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
never stops believin'

Default The Manhunter games...

...does anyone remember these? When I was a tyke in HS, i bought one of them, and I don't remember getting too far or finishing it, but I remember I liked the plot and the setting, and I was pretty creeped out by it.

No one tends to mention them on Best Of, or Sierra Classic lists...was I the only one who played them?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

I played the second one, and I remember enjoying it.

I think the reason they're so not talked about is because they arrived on the threshold between Sierra's AGI and SCI periods. Had they been released in SCI format, I think they might've gotten more attention.

I've considered playing the first one for the first time and replaying the second one for a second time.

I think they were ahead of their time. They were dark and gritty, but very experimental and beyond what adventure gamers were looking for at the time. If they'd been released six or seven years later, they might've seen a better following.

But I'd recommend trying them. AGI isn't a very good format for first person adventures, imho, but they're worth playing if you enjoy a very dark, sci-fi-meets-film-noir atmosphere and storyline.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I think the main reason they're never mentioned on Sierra best of lists is because they're really not that great. They're decent, and for the time they were telling some really strange and dark stories, but they haven't aged too well and the awkward interface and the truly abysmal arcade sequences are frustrating to deal with. They're 2 interesting anomalies in Sierra's history but I think that's about it.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Senior *female* member

I remember the first one best. At the time I found it scary. I had to brace myself to zoom in on the body on the pavement. Seems strange now. The action bits were hard but I loved the tracking device, or whatever it was called.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I played them years ago, and someday I'm gonna replay them now that I think I'm more prepared for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
I think they were ahead of their time. They were dark and gritty, but very experimental and beyond what adventure gamers were looking for at the time.
They were really very experimental, and the setting is really interesting. The exploration, though, can be painfully slow, and as SamandMax says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
[...]they haven't aged too well and the awkward interface and the truly abysmal arcade sequences are frustrating to deal with.
Unfortunately, this is true. AGI wasn't clearly the best engine for this peculiar interface to run.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
never stops believin'

If someone wanted to play them, where could they be found?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #7

Manhunter 1

Manhunter 2

Otherwise, you could check out these offers on eBay.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
never stops believin'

3.5 disks. Was hoping it was dl-able somewhere, or someone put in on CD as part of a collection.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

As far as I know, unfortunately, the Manhunter games aren't included in any collection and for sure they are not freeware, so I guess that the diskette option is pretty much the only one.