You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Greatest moments in adventure games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #1

Default Greatest moments in adventure games

Hi folks,

what do you think are the greatest moments in adventure games? I mean, those golden special moments (it can be anything, from a puzzle to a cutscene, or maybe the intro or the ending or an entire sequence) that are full of some sort of emotional power and amazes you so much that you might want to load a game just before that moment only to see it again.

Mine are (in order of preference):
*WARNING - some spoilers*

5 - Grim Fandango (the ending): GF´s ending was such a HUGE emotional blow. I mean, after all that Manny, Meche and Glottis went thru, and they finally reach the number nine... but Manny has to say good-bye to Glottis - he can´t go. They would never see each other again. Ever. I was so filled with joy and sadness, both at the same time. I remember dropping some tear. Such a perfect ending to a perfect game.

4 - Sanitarium (the house sequence): There is an entire sequence sequence that happens inside a house, in act 2 (if i´m not mistaken, it´s a been a long time since i last played this game), when you´re controlling the little girls. The house has such a surreal appearance, like a Dali painting or something, and there are some sorts of "ghost", appearing in each room that you visit, retelling something that happened to the protagonist long ago. It is VERY, VERY dramatically intense, so intense that i was a bit disturbed, even long after i switched off my computer. Who played it knows what i am talking about.

3 - Monkey Island 2 (the dream sequence): This happens when Guybrush falls after trying to climb a tree. He starts to dream, the background goes red and his parents appears, then they morph into a pair of skeletons, that starts to sing and dance a bizarre song (which was the solution to a latter puzzle). The tune they SANG was so cool and memorable, i rembember whispering it a lot after i finished that game. I re-loaded my save game a lot, just to see that sequence again.

2 - The Beast Within (the opera puzzle/sequence - the whole act III): Okay, now THAT´S what adventure gaming is about. First there is this brilliant puzzle, where you have to make some "adjustments" to the opera house so it starts some sorts of a device that triggers Gabe´s transformation into werewolf. Then there´s this AMAZING cutscene, superbly directed, with the opera stuff and Gabriel´s transformation, then the ultra-suspenseful sequence where you are chase by the baron in the basement as a werewolf, and the great yet simple ending. Who said FMV games could not be perfect?

1 - Day of the Tentacle (the introduction): Now there´s no need to introduce that one to you, since every true adventure gamers play DOTT countless times, but this is simply the best damn introduction in eletronic gaming history. Ever. And no, there will NEVER be another one like it. It reached such a high level of fun and insanity that it CAN NOT be surpassed. Never. DOTT has a permanent installation in my hard disk, and ocassionaly i start it just to see the intro. Perfect.

And that´s. Which are yours?

See ya folks,
Old 03-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
Dessert

The Monkey Island 2 ending, most wonderful, ya either love it or hate it and i defiantly loved it
Old 03-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=1870

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #4

Hmm. Well, I've seen a lot of great stuff made by some passionate developers so it's kind of hard to narrow it down. Ah hell, I'll give it a shot anyway.

5. Full Throttle. One of the most well presented, well animated games of its time. It's been a long time since I played it and it's a little fuzzy for me. But I loved the style of this game.

4. Broken Sword's very well animated coffee shop explosion always got me in the mood for some good old fashioned pixel hunting.

3. The Secret of Monkey Island's finalé in which you are knocked all around Melée Island by LéChuck. Evertime I saw LéChuck diving after Guybrush through the sky I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of the whole sequence. (My first adventure game; very fond memories)

2. Ditto to DOTT.

1. The Sam & Max intro. As much as I agree with you about the DOTT into, this one actually had me laughing hard instead of just chuckling. This gets my vote for best intro ever.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:18 AM   #5
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by convexion
1. The Sam & Max intro. As much as I agree with you about the DOTT into, this one actually had me laughing hard instead of just chuckling. This gets my vote for best intro ever.
Agreed. Was just about to say that.

My favorite part is when Max throws the explosive out of their office window.

Sam: "I hope there was no one on that bus."

Max: "No one we know, anyway."
Old 03-14-2004, 03:45 AM   #6
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I really liked that scene in Grim fandango where Manny socks that Nicky guy for killing his friend. It just made me want to get out of my seat and cheer, and was also an important moment in Manny's character development.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
all loved up

There's a couple of cutscenes in Grim Fandango that are amazing, the ending, for the reasons mentioned previously, and the death of Lola, which I always find heartbreaking to watch, but it's created so well that it withstands numerous watchings, and is quite bitterly, poignantly beautiful..
But there's so many great, memorable sequences and situations in great adventure games...
Old 03-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #8
Rookie Cop

Many moments in Broken Sword that I think are amazing.
The intro obviously,
but I also love the whole Bull's head mountain sequence - very tense.

The pirate song in COMI always cracks me up totally.

All of the second act of Grim Fandango is amazing - very cinematic.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 AM   #9
iddqd

There are sooooo many ones in older "classic" games... so I will go more recent and say the chef part in Broken Sword 3. It has been a while since I laughed that hard (Monkey Island).
Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #10

Too many to mention. I mean, that's why we all love adventure games, right?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #11
Multi-dimensional avatar

The ending of Loom was quite dramatic, although it demanded a sequel which never got delivered.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:40 AM   #12

The intro of Myst III Exile!!! The moment when the music comes to a climax and the title appears is one of the best 'trying to suck you in the game thingies' ever. I just couldn't stop playing anymore.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Quote:
The ending of Loom was quite dramatic, although it demanded a sequel which never got delivered
The ending of loom demended a sequel? the ending of loom was the most complete ending I ever saw.

There were many. I mean moments. But I can't remember now.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:53 AM   #14
Hardcore Adventure Ninja!

There are so many greatest moments I couldn't write them all down.

But Chris Jones (Tex Murphy) beating the crap out of the Black Arrow Killer was definately a classic.

Ahh...them Murphy and GK games had great, great moments!

*sigh*
Old 03-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #15
Doctor Watson

Grim and GK3 spoilers.

Spoiler:
When Lola dies in Grim Fandango - the whole thing, from the first time you see her in the Blue Cascet, and when the flowers fly from the lighthouse. For me this was much more dramatic then the ending, which didn't touch me at all.

Then, of course, when Olivia is revealed as Hector's boyfriend. It's just a few scenes, but that whole last scene is... amazing. Simply amazing - they player knows that this is it! The best part is ultimately when Salvador kills Olivia, and she screams... It was... *shudder*

In Gabriel Knight 3, from when you hear the baby cry, and break into Montreaux's house until the moment you meet the Pomes Bleu -madam. Talk about suspension! No LEC game I have played has had good suspension in it.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:53 AM   #16

That scene from GK3 is pretty awesome.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 AM   #17

There are so many great moments...
Melee Island in Monkey Island 1. So piraty, mysterious and adventuring...
The skeleton dance in MI2. Hilarious
Full Throttle intro. Rocks.
Kyrandia 2: Zanthia's dresses. :eek:
Indy 4: so many moments I can't even list them
Blade Runner: the beginning. So promising ( ).
Dune: The worms. So beautiful.
Shannara: ???'s death. Arg!
Grim Fandango: all cut scenes, and all the 2d act. Casablanca, but even better.
The Black Mirror: the thrill. Thrilling.
The dig: the devices. Poetic.
Uru: the elder's age, the garden part. Wow!!
Space Quest 5: the fly. exotic, as most of the rest of the game
Indy 3: Venice. Been stuck there for ages. 'twas my first adventure.
Simon the sorcerer: the alice in wonderland part in the garden. Just amazing. Even brilliant.
Sam and Max: Max. Cute.
Syberia: Valadilene, the music. Atmospheric.
GK2: the bad guy. Really charismatic.
Guilty: the snow planet. Charming.

And so and so...

EDIT: Also, in Spycraft, when you have to skim through a whole bunch of pictures to fin the chameleon (or something). When I found it, I felt my blood freezing.

Last edited by Ninth; 03-16-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #18
Escaped Monkey Island

I always thought Stan from the MI series had some of the most memorable moments...always good for a laugh.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
I always thought Stan from the MI series had some of the most memorable moments...always good for a laugh.
Yep, that, too.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard
The Monkey Island 2 ending, most wonderful, ya either love it or hate it and i defiantly loved it
I've gotta agree with that. People try to "get" MI2's ending so much that they completely overlook how insanely enjoyable it is.